Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Car in Spain

UK Car in Spain

Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:21 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Car in Spain

When we first started coming to Spain, before we lived here, Saga Insurance gave us unlimited European cover. So it is possible to legally as far as insurance goes leave your car here for six months.

As for what the Guardia say, well they have no right to say anything about paperwork to a British tourist driving a British registered car with British insurance.

Last edited by scampicat; Feb 21st 2009 at 1:53 pm. Reason: Removed uneccessary text
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:49 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
When we first started coming to Spain, before we lived here, Saga Insurance gave us unlimited European cover. So it is possible to legally as far as insurance goes leave your car here for six months.

As for what the Guardia say, well they have no right to say anything about paperwork to a British tourist driving a British registered car with British insurance.
Don't be confused.

Just because insurance companies will sell you insurance, don't for one second assume that this makes what 'you' are doing legal!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi JDR.

Linea Directa will insure foriegn plated cars happily, so will Liberty Segurigos (who I recommend to friends with English plated cars).

And (depending upon who you believe) Rick1 can drive down here for a fortnights holiday - extend it up to 90 (or 180) days before having to return it to its country of origin.
Please be POSITIVE - he has asked the question BEFORE he comes over as he does not want to fall foul of the laws of Spain.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO BRING AN ENGLISH PLATED CAR HERE LEGALLY. It should be our mission to help people to be legal. I am on your side with cars over 180 days, not taxed, insured or mot'd. But we can & should help those who want to obey the laws.

Davexf
Totally correct. My Uk plated Mustang is with Liberty and is taxed and returns to the UK once every 6 months. I am not a Spanish resident.

JDR has a bee in his bonnet on this - probably due to the amount of illegal uninsured UK cars in Spain therefore maybe justifiably - and will not accept the fact that you can run on UK plates legally or at least argues the point on every thread. What was proposed by the thread starter is totally legal.

And yes I have been stopped by the Guardia and all docs checked and found in order. They were polite and waved me on my way.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:37 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Don't be confused.

Just because insurance companies will sell you insurance, don't for one second assume that this makes what 'you' are doing legal!
Our car is perfectly legal, we have now matriculated it and insured it wth Linea Directa.

But if you are a tourist and you are UK resident, you can have your UK car here on UK insurance for six months.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mykap

JDR has a bee in his bonnet on this - probably due to the amount of illegal uninsured UK cars in Spain therefore maybe justifiably - and will not accept the fact that you can run on UK plates legally or at least argues the
I dont think you can assume that from your short time here

Yes, there are a lot of foreign cars here in Spain with English people who think they are in the right ands wont take any notice of anyone who tells them any different.

It all boils down to how you are classed. I know people who have lived here for years but still class themselves as UK residents
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:24 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Re COSTS, (assuming you are going to become a resident in Spain)

First you need a "Baja de Residencia" which starts the clock ticking. Get this from the friendly British Consulate, 50 euros by post (BUT I recommend using a courier), so get an "acta de manifestaciones" from the notary so say 150 euros in total.
Second get a ficha technical reducida if you have not got a "certificate of European Conformity" - ask your local ITV for the name/number of the neccesary SPANISH engineer. (120 euros)
Get an NIE form from you Police station (free)
get a "Volante de empadronamiento" from the town hall (free)
Get an ITV test (FOR IMPORTATION) say 120 euros
Go to Hacienda to stop the clock ticking (buy form 06 45 cents)
Pay the road tax at the town hall (max 230 euros in my area)
Go to trafico (90 euros)
Buy plates (25 euros)

SORRY forgot to say change headlights / tyres and possibly high intensity rear lights / reversing lights

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Feb 21st 2009 at 6:27 pm. Reason: oops forgot headlights and tyres etc
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mykap
Totally correct. My Uk plated Mustang is with Liberty and is taxed and returns to the UK once every 6 months. I am not a Spanish resident.

JDR has a bee in his bonnet on this - probably due to the amount of illegal uninsured UK cars in Spain therefore maybe justifiably - and will not accept the fact that you can run on UK plates legally or at least argues the point on every thread. What was proposed by the thread starter is totally legal.

And yes I have been stopped by the Guardia and all docs checked and found in order. They were polite and waved me on my way.
Come on, you know any insurance company will sell you any policy, I have spoken to people in high places about how they can insure UK cars in Spain and the answer was " its not our fault if they don`t give us the right information"

Read the residencia link in the free beer thread about time limit in Spain, it`s also in English.
Also read the DVLA site about taking the car out of the UK for more than a year, it doesn`t say anything about being able to return every six months to clear the time zone.

Last edited by jdr; Feb 21st 2009 at 8:30 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:29 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed I know of various clients who have had their UK cars insured in both Spain and Portugal who have been driving around happily 'insured' until they needed to make a claim for the insurance company to ask for all their documents and then promptly told to go where the sun doesn't shine (and by that I don't mean back in the UK either)

In the end of the day an Insurance company is there as a profitable business and if they can get out of coughing up but also taking peoples dosh then they will.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:22 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

All UK insurance policies must by law cover for driving in the EU. However this is minimum 3rd party only. This may be all OP requires for an old Fiesta?

Many provide comprehensive cover for limited duration. For your info: LTSB/ Churchill and Carole Nash provide unlimited foreign use in EU for cars and bikes respectively.

Happy Motoring
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:39 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
All UK insurance policies must by law cover for driving in the EU. However this is minimum 3rd party only. This may be all OP requires for an old Fiesta?

Many provide comprehensive cover for limited duration. For your info: LTSB/ Churchill and Carole Nash provide unlimited foreign use in EU for cars and bikes respectively.

Happy Motoring
But that wouldnt of course be extended to a vehicle that was not legal in its country of registration would it?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:14 am
Ex Expat

But it WOULD be legal if the OP took it back to the UK every six months to get it MOT'd and taxed!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:39 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by scampicat
But it WOULD be legal if the OP took it back to the UK every six months to get it MOT'd and taxed!
Yes of course, that would make it legal in the country of registration for sure
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:12 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

What about the bit, if you take a vehicle out of the UK for over 12 months you need to export it ?
It says nothing about returning within 6 months turns the clock back to zero.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
What about the bit, if you take a vehicle out of the UK for over 12 months you need to export it ?
It says nothing about returning within 6 months turns the clock back to zero.
More than 12 months means what it says. 6 months away is not over 12 months (the last time I checked)

The clock must be reset otherwise if you went on holiday for 3 months every year for 4 years you would be deemed to have exported it. Hardly likely!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fred James
More than 12 months means what it says. 6 months away is not over 12 months (the last time I checked)

The clock must be reset otherwise if you went on holiday for 3 months every year for 4 years you would be deemed to have exported it. Hardly likely!
It still says nothing about taking it back and then out again straight away clears the times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.