Reload this Page >

UK Car in Spain

UK Car in Spain

Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Rick1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Car in Spain

Hi All,
Currently have a UK registered Car (Fiesta) which we are thinking of bringing over and leaving in Spain for the Summer, say 6 months of the year. Then bring back to the UK for the other 6 months and re-MOT, Tax , Insurance etc.
Can we do this or do we have to pay Spanish road tax, register the car in Spain or anything? Many thanks.
Rick
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Car in Spain

Originally Posted by Rick1
Hi All,
Currently have a UK registered Car (Fiesta) which we are thinking of bringing over and leaving in Spain for the Summer, say 6 months of the year. Then bring back to the UK for the other 6 months and re-MOT, Tax , Insurance etc.
Can we do this or do we have to pay Spanish road tax, register the car in Spain or anything? Many thanks.
Rick
Are you Spanish residents Rick?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:59 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Technically you are breaking the law, but many people do it. It is compulsory that your UK insurance will provide cover whilst in EU, but often this is limited duration / third party cover. Please check your own insurance document.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:44 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There are legal ways to do this, but you need to know all the rules so as to avoid the faint possibility of having the car appropriated by the police.

There are many threads on this so you can gain all the info you need

Davexf
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

There are legal ways to do this, but you need to know all the rules so as to avoid the faint possibility of having the car appropriated by the police.

There are many threads on this so you can gain all the info you need

Davexf
Not if he is here for more than 3 months without starting the matriculation process.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

I'm with Liverpool Victoria Insurance. Have no problem with continental travel am fully covered and have been for a number of years.

I use the CSMA breakdown service and used to have to tell them when I was in Spain but as of last year they no longer want to know. I have a European cover number and just ring them in the event of a breakdown abroad.

Used to be a snowbird but now we prefer to spend Spring and Autumn in Spain as we find its too cold in the Winter and too hot in the Summer.

But I suggest that you treat information given on discussion forums as possibly flawed and check it out properly.

Jim
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
I'm with Liverpool Victoria Insurance. Have no problem with continental travel am fully covered and have been for a number of years.

I use the CSMA breakdown service and used to have to tell them when I was in Spain but as of last year they no longer want to know. I have a European cover number and just ring them in the event of a breakdown abroad.

Used to be a snowbird but now we prefer to spend Spring and Autumn in Spain as we find its too cold in the Winter and too hot in the Summer.

But I suggest that you treat information given on discussion forums as possibly flawed and check it out properly.

Jim
Most UK policies only cover for 3 months out of the UK, unless you pay extra. ;-)
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Rick1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Are you Spanish residents Rick?
Hi,
No, we have a Holiday home in Murcia. So we would bring the car over by ferry and leave there. Hopefully use it when we come out and then take back in the Autumn. Many thanks for your reply.
Rick
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:04 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JDR,

Why are you so negative? Rick1 said he was thinking of bringing the car over; he did not say he would be in Spain for 6 months.

I suggest my answer was correct in that he CAN do it legally, and if he reads some of the previous threads then he will not fall foul of the law, which was the point of my post.

Rick1 actually has it right - asking about it before coming over to Spain

Davexf
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi JDR,

Why are you so negative? Rick1 said he was thinking of bringing the car over; he did not say he would be in Spain for 6 months.

I suggest my answer was correct in that he CAN do it legally, and if he reads some of the previous threads then he will not fall foul of the law, which was the point of my post.

Rick1 actually has it right - asking about it before coming over to Spain

Davexf
Not negative, just giving him the facts, for a start where would he insure it ?
UK probably wouldn`t insure it for that long, Spanish would give him the risk of Guardia impounding it till he proved to them whether it was legal here or not.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:53 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi JDR.

Linea Directa will insure foriegn plated cars happily, so will Liberty Segurigos (who I recommend to friends with English plated cars).

And (depending upon who you believe) Rick1 can drive down here for a fortnights holiday - extend it up to 90 (or 180) days before having to return it to its country of origin.
Please be POSITIVE - he has asked the question BEFORE he comes over as he does not want to fall foul of the laws of Spain.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO BRING AN ENGLISH PLATED CAR HERE LEGALLY. It should be our mission to help people to be legal. I am on your side with cars over 180 days, not taxed, insured or mot'd. But we can & should help those who want to obey the laws.

Davexf
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi JDR.

Linea Directa will insure foriegn plated cars happily, so will Liberty Segurigos (who I recommend to friends with English plated cars).

And (depending upon who you believe) Rick1 can drive down here for a fortnights holiday - extend it up to 90 (or 180) days before having to return it to its country of origin.
Please be POSITIVE - he has asked the question BEFORE he comes over as he does not want to fall foul of the laws of Spain.

IT IS POSSIBLE TO BRING AN ENGLISH PLATED CAR HERE LEGALLY. It should be our mission to help people to be legal. I am on your side with cars over 180 days, not taxed, insured or mot'd. But we can & should help those who want to obey the laws.

Davexf
As I said before a UK car with Spanish insurance leaves it open to what the Guardia fancy.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

How much does it cost these days to put a car onto Spanish plates?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
How much does it cost these days to put a car onto Spanish plates?
Simply put, €6 - 900, depending on the status
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Simply put, €6 - 900, depending on the status
Mitzy, that's a very bold answer! It can cost lots more depending on the value of the car and how quickly you do it having arrived here. (That is, within 30 days of getting padron reduces the tax bill etc. etc.).

I can't recall what it cost us for a 307 Peugeot but the tax was more than 1k euros to start with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.