Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK to Canada to Spain???

UK to Canada to Spain???

Old Oct 11th 2014, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK to Canada to Spain???

Hi there,
I find one of the benefits of emigrating once is that it gives you the confidence to do it again.
We moved from the UK to Canada 6 years ago, and we're toying with the idea of moving back next year. The missus doesnt really want to go back to the UK, but I'm fed up in Canada. So we're looking at our options, and I'm doing the ground work on Italy, Spain and France.

We're a family of 4- my kids are 8+9. None of us speak Spanish, although my kids are practically fluent in French.

So for those of you in Spain, I'd be interested to hear your experiences. Could you speak Spanish before you moved, what are the pros/cons compared to the UK, do you regret the move, etc.

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Canada to Spain???

As your kids are practically fluent in French it would be a much easier transition for them if the you all moved to France.

They are at the upper age limit at which they fit effortlessly into mainstream Spanish Schools.

The pros and cons are very difficult to qualify, comparisons in many areas are not particularly helpful.

By and large the cost of living well in Spain is little different than the UK.

Broadband is dearer in Spain
Petrol is cheaper in Spain
White goods are cheaper in the UK
Cars are cheaper in the UK
Self employment is cheaper in the UK
Cigarettes are cheaper in Spain
etc. etc.
Healthcare in Spain is overall more expensive than the UK

...and so it goes on.

It depends on your lifestyle and your expectations.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Canada to Spain???

One all important factor is whether you need to work because the job situation here is dire.

Rosemary