Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK arrival PCR test experiences

UK arrival PCR test experiences

Old Jul 24th 2021, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK arrival PCR test experiences

Originally Posted by SanNico
if you mean an NHS test, no. Go to your local clinic and ask for an antigen test suitable for travel. It’s should be around €20. You can have PCR, LAMP or antigen. If you were Vader in the UK then that’s acceptable.

For Spain, LAMP or PCR is required if you don’t have a vaccine passport or certificate. Spain accept the NHS version, the UK don’t accept the Euro version.

For day 2 and/or 8 test it’s not a requirement for the airline. The requirement is that you upload the passenger locator form. On that form you must have uploaded the reference number for the tests or explained the reason why you are exempt, in my case because I was staying for less than 2 days.

Isolation rules are as per the government website.
They wasn’t going to let us on the plane unless we had the nhs home testing kits booked. We did the passenger locator forms and they still wasn’t going to let us board. They have you over a barrel once you have your flight booked. There were plenty of upset people complaining but the check in worker was not letting anyone check in who hadn’t paid the £220 per person home testing package. We flew back with ryan air from Barcelona airport.
Old Jul 24th 2021, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
They wasn’t going to let us on the plane unless we had the nhs home testing kits booked. We did the passenger locator forms and they still wasn’t going to let us board. They have you over a barrel once you have your flight booked. There were plenty of upset people complaining but the check in worker was not letting anyone check in who hadn’t paid the £220 per person home testing package. We flew back with ryan air from Barcelona airport.
Doesnt make sense you are saying that a Spanish person couldn't board the plane if they didnt have an NHS testing kit but had another type recommended by UK government?
Old Jul 24th 2021, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Doesnt make sense you are saying that a Spanish person couldn't board the plane if they didnt have an NHS testing kit but had another type recommended by UK government?
You had to have a reference number which you get once you book the nhs track and trace package. That was the thing the check in worker was checking. You get the number once you have paid for your home testing kits and filled
all your passenger locator details in. It’s a scam. £200+ per person for two measly home testing kits.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Now they are only asking for the locator form and proof of negative test carried out within 72 hours. You can't get the locator form without the without uploading the track and trace reference or the exemption.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Great news and fingers crossed this means we wont need to quarantine come August!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sed-month.html
Old Jul 26th 2021, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Great news and fingers crossed this means we wont need to quarantine come August!!

They'll announce that the same day that they make Spain amber plus, or am I just cynical?
Old Jul 26th 2021, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now they are only asking for the locator form and proof of negative test carried out within 72 hours. You can't get the locator form without the without uploading the track and trace reference or the exemption.
yep that’s what it was with us. And if you are not exempt then you have to pay for the track and trace tests. It’s a scam.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VEDShappy
They'll announce that the same day that they make Spain amber plus, or am I just cynical?

Something like 150,000 Brits arrived in Spain this weekend alone. If the UK government changed Spain to amber plus at the end of this week it would cause absolute total chaos.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 6:03 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

In that and other reports I've read, it says that initially Brits registered with a UK GP but double-jabbed abroad will be able to apply to that GP to get their jabs recognised, and thus avoid tests and quarantine.

Not of any help to the vast majority of us, I wouldn't have thought, since most won't be registered with a UK GP.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 7:56 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely. This isn't helpful at all to anybody like me and makes me wonder where these rule making people live? We have been double jabbed in Europe and have a European Covid certificate as we are registered on the health service in Spain/Italy/France wherever .... so why would we still be on a GP's list back in the UK?
What about people like my kids as well? Dual citizens with British passports but born in Italy so have never ever been on a UK GP list. Unless I'm missing something, it's utter nonsense.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

if you mean an NHS test, no. Go to your local clinic and ask for an antigen test suitable for travel. It’s should be around €20. You can have PCR, LAMP or antigen. If you were Vader in the UK then that’s acceptable.

For Spain, LAMP or PCR is required if you don’t have a vaccine passport or certificate. Spain accept the NHS version, the UK don’t accept the Euro version.

For day 2 and/or 8 test it’s not a requirement for the airline. The requirement is that you upload the passenger locator form. On that form you must have uploaded the reference number for the tests or explained the reason why you are exempt, in my case because I was staying for less than 2 days.

Isolation rules are as per the government website.
Suddenly I need to return to London asap. This thread has been very helpful, thanks.

I'm off to my GP office to see about a pre-flight test - if they don't do them (or they can't do one for a while) are there other providers I can go to?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lagoo
Suddenly I need to return to London asap. This thread has been very helpful, thanks.

I'm off to my GP office to see about a pre-flight test - if they don't do them (or they can't do one for a while) are there other providers I can go to?

Many thanks.
Most of the larger airports have testing facilities onsite now, otherwise if you’re in a large town or city just google antigen testing. I believe the airports are charging around 45. I always get mine at a university clinic as they charge 20 and the proceeds stay in the system. However, with short notice you’re best with the airport. They do quick turnarounds.
good luck
Old Jul 27th 2021, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
Old Aug 23rd 2021, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Update. I made the trip again this weekend with some differences that make it worth posting as the paperwork is slightly different. But the same as normal travel, if you follow the instructions from the airline it's very simple.
I flew to Stansted on Saturday and returned from Gatwick on Sunday meaning I was able to avoid booking the day 2 PCR tax test. All I needed to enter was an antigen test sertificate and the UK locator form specifying we are exempt from testing due to land side transitting. This is the tricky part as you have to state that you're staying in the UK, then select exempt and select the relevant transit option. Technically transitting should be complete within 24 hours but it's not a legal requirement.

We had to use the no EEA and non UK border desk which was a major result as there was no queue. We offered the PLFs and he told us he could already see them as it's linked to the passport and we asked the official if we had completed the forms correctly. He told us it was fine and that as long as you leave before day 2 you can avoid the tax test and go as you please during that period. Arrival day is day 0. He said if you try to beat the system by not taking the outgoing flight you'll get away with it until the next time your passport is scanned, at which point you'll suffer the consequences.

At Gatwick we had to show our vaccination certificates and Spanish locator forms. I'm not sure why they needed both as it's already uploaded on the PLF, possibly to do with UK certificate compatibility. Back in Spain it was the usual simple process of showing residence cards to avoid the passport stamp and scanning the PLF QR on our phones.

I'm not sure what the 3 hour check in is all about. Security was a breeze and then we had to sit in the shopping area pig pen until 1 hour before the flight when they announced the gate number. We tried to access a lounge to avoid the crowds but they all closed at 3pm. For reference, Stansted lounges are closing at 5pm.