Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Typical Spanish Christmas

A Typical Spanish Christmas

Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:06 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Typical Spanish Christmas

My 7 year old niece is coming to stay with us on 1st January and she will be here for the 3 Kings. She is very excited because she is going to have two christmas`s, so I want her to have a typical Spanish christmas. We will be taking her to see the 3 kings parade, but thats about all I know about the Spanish christmas. Can someone tell me when she can open her presents, the 5th or 6th? What do the Spanish eat for their christmas and anything else I need to know for the 3 kings?

Thanks.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:29 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all
Default Re: A Typical Spanish Christmas

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
My 7 year old niece is coming to stay with us on 1st January and she will be here for the 3 Kings. She is very excited because she is going to have two christmas`s, so I want her to have a typical Spanish christmas. We will be taking her to see the 3 kings parade, but thats about all I know about the Spanish christmas. Can someone tell me when she can open her presents, the 5th or 6th? What do the Spanish eat for their christmas and anything else I need to know for the 3 kings?

Thanks.
You open the present on the morning of the 6th, the night before is the time Spaniards eat the meal as with Christmas eve Spaniards eat a large family meal and have the left overs the next day.

What they eat really depends on the part of the country your in and what you like, my mother in law eats shell fish such as Spider Crabs legs.

More in land tends to be a roasted whole baby pig or lambs legs,steaks,chorizo`s and morcilla.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky

Thanks.
As it was interpreted with my wifes family when the inlaws where active, they where originally from Cordoba:

Dec 24th Nochebuena - Sea bream (Besugo)

Dec 25th Lamb or Turkey (Cordero Lechal or Pavo) Tended to be turkey every year after I joined them.
From what I can gather the cordero comes from the past dewish influence in the south of Spain.

Dec 28th - Día de los innocents

Dec 31st Nochevieja - 12 grapes to be eaten, one on each gong of midnight.
Mother in law used to cheat by removing the pips and skin beforehand

This can be a great night in the square of your local town, I haven't been down to the square in Fuengirola on Nochevieja for about 4 years but the atmosphere is electric and eating the grapes there can make it even more fun.
The night in the square is great but if you do this and are with kids then do it early as after midnight everyone tends to get sloshed by passing bottles around (if not already) and the bottles generally start ending up getting smashed on the ground eventually, don't miss it because of this, just need to leave soon after midnight or when you see it getting tricky for kids.

Jan 1st - Nature a hangover

Jan 5th - Some spanish kids leave their shows outside the door or beside the fireplace for gifts from the 3 kings.

Jan 6th (The gifts are 'generally' opened)

Don't ask why but my wifes family opened many of their gifts on Dec25! and tended to have a more relaxing day on the 3 kings, all I know about this is that they started it when their grand daughter was born!

Always lots of nouget and roscos in Spanish homes, not that the roscos are something you will miss if you don't find any!

Different areas of Spain do slightly different things, even the same areas will differ in ways but it is all about enjoying and celebration.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 15th 2007 at 7:53 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you was in Fuengirola at the parade I would say be careful you don`t get hit on the head by sweets. lol
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If you was in Fuengirola at the parade I would say be careful you don`t get hit on the head by sweets. lol
Oh don't, that will be the next European directive, they won't be allowed to throw sweets off the floats
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:12 pm
Banned

lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

I`m supprised nobody has mentioned Carbon, you`ll find Coal shaped sugar sweets in most supermarkets in a sack which resembles a bag of coal.

The story is anybody badly behaved the Kings will bring Carbon

You give it to any child who hasn`t been a good child in the year.Its a threat most Spanish kids get teased with and my wife being Basque (cruel) torments us all the year and plays the joke, but it does get a bit predictable now
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Econ

Dec 31st Nochevieja - 12 grapes to be eaten, one on each gong of midnight.
Mother in law used to cheat by removing the pips and skin beforehand
Buy them in the tins, there already seeded and skin removed and in 12`s, they slide down much more easily.

And don`t forget the Cava.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hola! Sam,

Is it good practice to bring an umbrella with you? (For your niece, of course!) You shouldn't get hit in the eye with a boiled sweet and you'll catch more, too! (ie. hold the umbrella upside down)

As for food, what are "angulas" - white wormy seafood? They are expensive in the marketplace.

Regards,
Carol
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carol&John
As for food, what are "angulas" - white wormy seafood? They are expensive in the marketplace.
Yes they are.... expensive that is, mainly because they have been fished out. The Spanish news the other night where talking about the price of them fresh, 1,300 euros per kilo in some areas of Spain

Angula are elders (eels) and are a delicacy in Catalunia, delicacy anywhere at that price if you ask me You would normally get then served in a little cazuela (small clay dish) similar like you see pilpil, they can be very tasty if cooked right.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Hola! Econ,
Ay, a worm by any other name, is still a worm! Well, ok, an eel...Can't be very filling (at those prices)!
Regards,
Carol
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Is it good practice to bring an umbrella with you? (For your niece, of course!) You shouldn't get hit in the eye with a boiled sweet and you'll catch more, too! (ie. hold the umbrella upside down)
Great spirit! I am sure you will be loved by the locals.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:59 am
Banned

Hola! Econ,
Ay, a worm by any other name, is still a worm! Well, ok, an eel...Can't be very filling (at those prices)!
Regards,
Carol
You get a hell of a lot in a kilo, there not eaten to fill, much the same way caviar dosn`t fill.

Personally there tastless it tends to be more to do with the garlic and other seasoning they use.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:02 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are.... expensive that is, mainly because they have been fished out. The Spanish news the other night where talking about the price of them fresh, 1,300 euros per kilo in some areas of Spain

Angula are elders (eels) and are a delicacy in Catalunia, delicacy anywhere at that price if you ask me You would normally get then served in a little cazuela (small clay dish) similar like you see pilpil, they can be very tasty if cooked right.
not being pedantic but do you mean Elvers?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
not being pedantic but do you mean Elvers?
you are being pedantic and yes I do mean Elvers

Nice to see you on good form!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:24 am
Banned

you are being pedantic and yes I do mean Elvers

Nice to see you on good form!
I see the need to prove peoples slight mistakes seem to be the major topic for discussion on this site, so many ego`s all clambering for authority.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.