Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Two Queries for the Guy

Two Queries for the Guy

Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Two Queries for the Guy

1. I will be back in UK for a little christmas shopping and wondered which Freesat box you think has the best tuner for SW Spainand is it a different make for HD?

2. I have just had Iberabanda line of sight microwave internet and phone installed. I now need to add a wifi router and a phone.
The installer said the phone has to be analogue what does he mean by this?
He also said that the router should be a RJ 45. Back in UK I have both a Belkin ADSL and a Belkin cable wifi routers would the cable one be suitable addition to my setup?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Queries for the Guy

Originally Posted by John & Kath
1. I will be back in UK for a little christmas shopping and wondered which Freesat box you think has the best tuner for SW Spainand is it a different make for HD?
Try the Humax FoxSat HD - it's about the best but a little expensive.

Originally Posted by John & Kath
2. I have just had Iberabanda line of sight microwave internet and phone installed. I now need to add a wifi router and a phone.
The installer said the phone has to be analogue what does he mean by this?
He also said that the router should be a RJ 45. Back in UK I have both a Belkin ADSL and a Belkin cable wifi routers would the cable one be suitable addition to my setup?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:12 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

The best performing Freesat boxes are the Humax HD and Humax HDR - the latter has inbuilt hard disk drive for your recordings.

It is a bit ticky to answer your questions without seeing what they have already installed. Maybe they have already provided you with a router unit as part of your "wireless" equipment.
A router is a just router.
A ADSL Modem is just a modem
A ADSL Model + router has both built in.
Many people buy a router thinking it has ADSL modem capability.
So be sure what you currently have installed and what you actually need.

I thnk RJ 45 is a cable type , usually used to link a router to a adsl modem
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

RJ 45 is the name of the plug that usually connects into the router. J standing for "Jack" Americanese for plug.

Jim
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:23 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The cable used is normally called CAT5 cable.