Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tunnel or Ferry?

Tunnel or Ferry?

Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

HimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to all
Smile Tunnel or Ferry?

Hello!
Could anyone possibly tell us the best route to France,would it be through the Tunnel or on the Ferry?We will only be in one vehicle with no trailer etc,but with 2 cats and a dog. We have heard that the prices vary too depending on the time . We would be going within next 2 months i guess.We would be grateful if anyone knows from experience and can pass this information on to us. Thank you.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tunnel or Ferry?

Originally Posted by HimnHer
Hello!
Could anyone possibly tell us the best route to France,would it be through the Tunnel or on the Ferry?We will only be in one vehicle with no trailer etc,but with 2 cats and a dog. We have heard that the prices vary too depending on the time . We would be going within next 2 months i guess.We would be grateful if anyone knows from experience and can pass this information on to us. Thank you.
There is lots of info on here about this and similar stuff, LIKE HERE put "Driving with pets" or similar into "search this forum"
Old Apr 21st 2007, 10:25 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!
We will be making the journey by car on the 10th May with four cats. We are using the Michelin recommended route HERE We enquired about travelling by ferry but P & O do not take animals which meant we would have to travel to Plymouth to use Brittannia which do take animals. The price we were quoted for the 13th May for 2 adults with a car and four cats was £484 this includes a 2 berth cabin. (Plymouth to Santander) Unfortunately the date is too late for us as our furniture is arriving in Spain on the 14th so we wouldn't be there in time. The ferry before that is the 9th May, which is a day too early for us as our belongings are being collected on the 10th May! So it has to be the tunnel, France and Spain by car.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lionda
We will be making the journey by car on the 10th May with four cats. We are using the Michelin recommended route HERE We enquired about travelling by ferry but P & O do not take animals which meant we would have to travel to Plymouth to use Brittannia which do take animals. The price we were quoted for the 13th May for 2 adults with a car and four cats was £484 this includes a 2 berth cabin. (Plymouth to Santander) Unfortunately the date is too late for us as our furniture is arriving in Spain on the 14th so we wouldn't be there in time. The ferry before that is the 9th May, which is a day too early for us as our belongings are being collected on the 10th May! So it has to be the tunnel, France and Spain by car.
A couple of clarifications I think.
P&O do take animals, I think Lionda means they don't take them on the Portsmouth to Bilbao route. Dover to Calais I think its £15 per pet.
And the company sailing from Plymouth to Santander is Brittany ferries.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:00 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

check the websites as they often have deals going at various times of the year.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:29 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BriscasBetterHalf
A couple of clarifications I think.
P&O do take animals, I think Lionda means they don't take them on the Portsmouth to Bilbao route. Dover to Calais I think its £15 per pet.
And the company sailing from Plymouth to Santander is Brittany ferries.
I stand corrected Yes I meant the Portsmouth to Bilbao, as we live near Portsmouth so it was their offices at the ferry terminal where we asked in Portsmouth. We were told P & O do not take animals and accepted it as fact. We didn't enquire whether they took pets on other routes as it was the Portsmouth to Bilbao route we were interested in.

Thanks for pointing that out Briscas (betterhalf )
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

HimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to allHimnHer is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies,looks like we will have to search about here on the net then for prices etc,we dont fancy a long ferry trip so it will either be Dover to Calais or the Tunnel.By the way we are heading for a place just half hour past Alicante.Thanks again anyway!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies,looks like we will have to search about here on the net then for prices etc,we dont fancy a long ferry trip so it will either be Dover to Calais or the Tunnel.By the way we are heading for a place just half hour past Alicante.Thanks again anyway!
The tunnel is a happier route for the animals as you are in the vehicle and its only half an hour. If you go on the ferry you have to leave them in the vehicle for 90 mins unattended
Old Apr 21st 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Mitzyboy,funnily enough we were just having that conversation indoors about can we stay with the animals on the ferry and the tunnel,looks like it will be the tunnel then.........ill have to get some prices.Thanks anyway.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:45 pm
Popping in for a chat

Hey we are going to Castalla which isn't far from Alicante - whereabouts are you going?
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Sorry for the dalay Lionda,we are going to a place called Crevillente,where my family live,they have been there for about 5 or 6 yrs now and love it. I have heard of that place you are going to but not quite sure where it is.Do you have children that are of school age ,just that we have a 10 yr old boy and was wondering what you knew about schools out there.Anyway just need to get away from this country,as i believe it is only going to get worse over the years! Good luck,who knows we might bump into you over there too!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 10:52 am
Popping in for a chat

Sorry for the dalay Lionda,we are going to a place called Crevillente,where my family live,they have been there for about 5 or 6 yrs now and love it. I have heard of that place you are going to but not quite sure where it is.Do you have children that are of school age ,just that we have a 10 yr old boy and was wondering what you knew about schools out there.Anyway just need to get away from this country,as i believe it is only going to get worse over the years! Good luck,who knows we might bump into you over there too!
I have found Crevillente on the map. It is about 50 mins away from us, further south No we don't have young children, our girls are grown up (29 and 30) the eldest has been in Spain since January and loves it. She has been practicing Spanish and is already able to hold conversations with Spanish people and understand (provided they speak slowly) We will be having a drive around neighbouring towns so there is every possibility we could bump into each other. We will have to arrange a meet after we have all settled over there and compare notes