Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

True or False? Tax on Rentals

True or False? Tax on Rentals

Old May 24th 2011, 5:00 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default True or False? Tax on Rentals

Did you know... that if you rent out your home in Spain the goverment want a smacking 24% of your income and incredibly the TENANT has to pay it to the tax office each month, not the landlord (unless hte tennant defaults)?

True or False? Anyone experienced this ?
Old May 24th 2011, 5:24 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: True or False? Tax on Rentals

Similar to the UK, where a tenant should deduct tax when he rents from overseas LL.

Letting agents, or certain tenants if there is no letting agent, must deduct basic rate Income Tax from the UK rental income if the landlord has a usual place of abode outside the UK. However, landlords have the option of applying for approval to receive their UK rental income with no Income Tax deducted by simply completing form NRL1 (PDF 205K).
The granting of approval does not grant exemption from UK Income Tax; any tax liability will be dealt with under Self-Assessment.
If the rental income is also charged to tax in your country of residence, then that country should give the relevant tax credit for the UK tax paid.

Last edited by missile; May 24th 2011 at 5:27 pm.
Old May 24th 2011, 5:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Did you know... that if you rent out your home in Spain the goverment want a smacking 24% of your income and incredibly the TENANT has to pay it to the tax office each month, not the landlord (unless hte tennant defaults)?

True or False? Anyone experienced this ?
Yes, you certainly have to pay the tax at 24% on the rental income. The good news is that the "Imputed Income Tax" that you have to pay even if you don't rent it is not chargeable for the period that you actually rent it out.

I don't know about the tenant paying it but in theory you have to declare the income every month but you can apply to pay it every 3 months.

The allowances you can claim are pretty small as opposed to resident landlords who only pay tax on 50% of the rental income and they can claim much larger allowances.

I am not for a minute suggesting that you are trying to avoid the tax but, for the benefit of other forum members, I would point out that many foreign owners think that just because they arrange to have the rental payments paid in the UK in Sterling that this avoids the tax - it doesn't.

The Spanish tax offices are really cracking down on all forms of tax evasion now. Last year their tax income increased by 25% over the previous year - in a recession the increase can only have come from tightening up on the "Black Economy".

All Spanish taxpayers who rent property have to declare the Catastral reference of the property that they are renting. The tax office links that back to the owner and Bingo - another one bites the dust!

They are also scanning all the private rental sites on the Internet and linking those back to tax returns.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:24 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

They are also scanning all the private rental sites on the Internet and linking those back to tax returns.
Ok, I'll bite. If the website (and payment) is organised by a third party in the UK, how can the Hacienda ascertain the income (and thus tax to be paid)?
Old May 24th 2011, 6:56 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Ok, I'll bite. If the website (and payment) is organised by a third party in the UK, how can the Hacienda ascertain the income (and thus tax to be paid)?
I think the method would be, that the Hacienda demand a whacking great amount, and then it is up to the owner to show that it was not as much as they are claiming
Old May 24th 2011, 8:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I think the method would be, that the Hacienda demand a whacking great amount, and then it is up to the owner to show that it was not as much as they are claiming
That's about right. In these matters you are guilty until proved innocent.

HMRC in the UK have been doing this sort of thing for years. Adverts for the sale of expensive overseas property, boats and cars are all entered into a huge database. One day it all comes together and then it gets nasty.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:47 am
Banned

John and Elaine is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the license/perimsio from the Junta which authorises the property to be let, and the IVA which I believe must also be added ?

I also believe that the property must be registered as rental property, thus some apartments cannot be legally let.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Totally incorrect about the tenant paying the tax for the landlord.

It never happens with residencial contracts, but for commercial contracts it is not unusual for it to be included in the agreement.

The very important point being that it has to be explicitly declared in the rental agreement, with no room for ambiguity.

I really do despair at the amount of complete rubbish posted on Spanish foro, these days!!
Old May 26th 2011, 11:02 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by avocados
Totally incorrect about the tenant paying the tax for the landlord........ really do despair at the amount of complete rubbish posted on Spanish foro, these days!!
Maybe right! But we come here for many reasons: the craic, gossip, arguments and to be educated... share knowledge ... just like in the real world community.

At least here you don't have to buy a cana or café con leché to talk to bar-stool jonnies !!

If you have the answers to current rental laws / rules please be good enough to share them. perhaps the Admins will let you write an article for the "FREE BEER" section?
Old May 26th 2011, 11:59 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Maybe right! But we come here for many reasons: the craic, gossip, arguments and to be educated... share knowledge ... just like in the real world community.

At least here you don't have to buy a cana or café con leché to talk to bar-stool jonnies !!

If you have the answers to current rental laws / rules please be good enough to share them. perhaps the Admins will let you write an article for the "FREE BEER" section?
Nice one Grapeater sonme K for that.
Old May 26th 2011, 1:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John and Elaine
What about the license/perimsio from the Junta which authorises the property to be let, and the IVA which I believe must also be added ?

I also believe that the property must be registered as rental property, thus some apartments cannot be legally let.
That is correct, but I don`t think many do it.
Old May 27th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

I have asked several lawyers about this and none know anything about it.

But on the subject of tax non payment...

One of my neighbours was nabbed by the hacienda for tax.

Unkown to them the Spanish tax guys have the capability to cross reference tax records with electricity bills. They noticed fairly high consumption in the winter months (when it was on a long winter let).

When they made contact with the owner they asked for evidence of occupation (air flight bookings etc) or details of lets. They had to pay the tax plus a surcharge, but are now being investigated over possible lettings over the last 4 years. Needless to say they have not kept records so Gawd knows how it's going to be settled. To be honest I'm not even sure they've paid the imputed tax, either!!

Neighbour reckons they didn't use the electricity bills but was grassed up by a miserable old Spanish guy who lives full time in the complex. Hacienda are adamant it was the 'leccy bills wot got him.
Old May 27th 2011, 3:05 pm
Banned

John and Elaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy

Unknown to them the Spanish tax guys have the capability to cross reference tax records with electricity bills. They noticed fairly high consumption in the winter months (when it was on a long winter let).

Hacienda are adamant it was the 'leccy bills wot got him.
The utility companies have been obliged to pass on details of consumption to the 'Hacienda' certainly since January this year, if not from last year too. This is the first case I have heard of them taking action.

Also, I guess everyone knows that there is free flow of information between the Hacienda, and the tax agencies of UK and other EU members.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy

Neighbour reckons they didn't use the electricity bills but was grassed up by a miserable old Spanish guy who lives full time in the complex. Hacienda are adamant it was the 'leccy bills wot got him.
I'm sure it was the electricity bills.

As I said in an earlier post, Hacienda are managing to raise a lot of tax by homing in on tax evasion.

They aren't stupid and in many respects have better computer systems than HMRC in the UK. Add to that the easy interchange of data between government agencies, the banks and the utility companies to name but a few (which is probably more restricted in the UK) and you have a recipe for getting caught if you try to evade the taxes that are due.

I also know of cases where registration details of cars parked on suspect properties have been used to track down offenders.
Old May 28th 2011, 12:47 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

My house is owned by "a company" in France. I pay a letting agent in Spain cash every month and the money is passed on to them - My agent tells me that as the company who owns the house is in France and I am not Spanish, the Spanish rental contract and tax laws dont apply. Is that right?

Jo x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.