Is This True

Old May 24th 2012, 9:24 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is This True

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I came across it in TF where dodgy small time agents would take advantage of naive folk back in the UK in a rush to sell, wiith similar or even greater profit margins.
One was an English guy who personally admitted to me that all he needed was a couple of sales a year to make a killing and a good living.
I too was told that by an EA.
Old May 24th 2012, 11:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
It was certainly true when we bought.

Although our EA, didn't do this, I know several who did.

We didn't use an EA when we sold.
When we bought, the estate agents had a 24% mark up, but this was during the boom, and the agents have now gone bust, when we sold we did it ourselves, and were able, just before the recession hit, to get the price we actually paid for it. I think the amount we paid for the web entry was €150
Old May 24th 2012, 11:32 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
When we bought, the estate agents had a 24% mark up, but this was during the boom, and the agents have now gone bust, when we sold we did it ourselves, and were able, just before the recession hit, to get the price we actually paid for it. I think the amount we paid for the web entry was €150
We got more than we paid, including the renovations. Bought in 2003, sold 2011. Paid nothing for web entries, got buyer by local advertising and networking in bars, etc.

I have a feeling we have been very lucky!
Old May 25th 2012, 1:51 am
RQM
Forum Regular

RQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really nice

This is awful, isn´t there anything that can be done by law to stop it happening.
Old May 25th 2012, 3:04 am
Ex Expat

In some way I can see the logic.

Seller is happy to accept 100 grand.

Buyer is willing to pay 120 grand.

Why should not the estate agent have the 20 grand as their fee?

I think this is how Spaniards see it. It's not the 'British way' of doing things though.

MY friends (British) said they didn't mind the estate agent pocketing 20 grand as they still thought their house was worth the money they paid.

I don't know what the seller thought.

I do know that we were not prepared for some estate agent to get 20 grand for putting pictures on a website.

Last edited by scampicat; May 25th 2012 at 3:09 am.
Old May 25th 2012, 4:06 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Hi i was told by a friend who sells houses ..that its a rip off job.. You go to sell your apartment for a quick sale say 50,000.. He says the estate agent puts in up for sale 90,000 .. and if it sells you get 50,000 and the agent keeps 40,000 as you only wanted 50,000..its not the same as in UK were you get the 90,000 less fees...
The single most imoprtant function of an agent is to extract as much money as possible from their client - the buyer or the seller. That's what the business is all about.

Here in Mallorca, it is 100% absolutely normal. A property which the owner would ask €250K for goes on the market for €500K or more as soon as an agent gets hold of it. They "negotiate" down from there.

It is not an uncommon agreement between the seller and the agent that any price the agent can achieve above the seller's asking price becomes the sole profit of the agent. The agents don't always point out this "fine print" to the seller, so it's been a recurring point of legal controversy here...