Reload this Page >

Travelling on a NIE outside of Spain

Travelling on a NIE outside of Spain

Old Apr 16th 2016, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Liana12433 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling on a NIE outside of Spain

Hi all,
A question relating to the above topic. My wife and stepson are non EU citizens and will have an NIE card. I am a UK citizen. My question is as follows.
With a NIE card and their passports can they travel freely around the schengen region. As tourists or on business.
Cheers.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 2:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling on a NIE outside of Spain

Originally Posted by Liana12433
Hi all,
A question relating to the above topic. My wife and stepson are non EU citizens and will have an NIE card. I am a UK citizen. My question is as follows.
With a NIE card and their passports can they travel freely around the schengen region. As tourists or on business.
Cheers.
I'm confused - there's no such thing as an 'NIE card'.

What do you really mean?

Do you mean 'residencia' - does it have your photo on it?
Old Apr 16th 2016, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Yes I believe that is it and my wife had to provide a photograph and should get her actual card in four weeks so will assume it has a photo on the card.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 4:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The original photo Residencia Card still exists, but is only given to non-EU family members of EU nationals.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana12433
Hi all,
Cheers.
You'll be able to travel around/outside the Schengen areas with a passport; NOT with a NIE.
The NIE should not be confused with the ID card that Spanish nationals have and with which they can travel within EU countries.
The NIE is merely proof that you have registered with the Spanish police for residency purposes. It is NOT an ID card.
These days it is the size of a plastic card.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 4:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
The NIE is merely proof that you have registered with the Spanish police for residency purposes. It is NOT an ID card.
The new NIE (Green Card) is not the same thing at all.

As I said, non-EU family members of an EU national are issued with a multicoloured laminated card, with fingerprints, with a photo, identical to the old "residencia" card. It is very similar to the standard Spanish DNI ID card.

From the EU Directive on Residency

Article 10
Issue of residence cards
1. The right of residence of family members of a Union citizen who are not nationals of a Member State shall be evidenced by the issuing of a document called "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen" no later than six months from the date on which they submit the application.

Whether is can be used for travel within the Schengen area, obviously accompanied by a valid passport, I am not sure, but I will try and check it out.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

So my wife came here on a schengen visa, she is going to get her residencia card shortly. So back to my original question if we wanted to go to France on Vacation with me she can just travel on her passport and that is fine. Just want to understand how we go about moving around the EU.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 4:57 pm

Having now checked it out, it seems that she is free to travel with you to another Schengen country with her Spanish Residency Card and her passport.

EU – Travel documents for non-EU family members – Your Europe - Your Europe
Old Apr 16th 2016, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Fred, cheers for that, she had to submit a photo and her finger prints were taken as well. Just want to understand is she stuck in Spain or can we travel to France or Portugal for instance.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Fred,
Ok that is great and thanks for your time here checking it out.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 5:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
You'll be able to travel around/outside the Schengen areas with a passport; NOT with a NIE.
The NIE should not be confused with the ID card that Spanish nationals have and with which they can travel within EU countries.
Oooops, no it's not.

An NIE is proof that you are 'in the system' and have a fiscal identity. It is nothing to do with residency.

You have to sign on the list of foreigners to get a green card/paper showing this (it will also have your NIE on it).
Old Apr 16th 2016, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

So now I am confused. She will be getting a card assuming a residencia which has been issued from the extranjeros office with photo and fingerprints in here as well. And picking this up from the foreigners section of our local Policia nacional. So she needs two cards the NIE or the green card that I have and this other photo ID as well.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 9:12 pm

No, the plastic Residencia Card is all she needs. The green form/card is only issued to EU citizens and is a totally useless piece of paper/plastic. Your wife is lucky to get the old card, I wish they would give me one!
Old Apr 17th 2016, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Hi Fred,
She does not have a green card like I di, we had assumed that would be the case. She will get the plastic residencia card with her photo on and she had her fingerprints taken as well. They told her it would take a month to be issued. Thanks for your help here it is much appreciated.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Funny how a lot of folk considered the old Residencia was a pain, and urged its abolition. Now of course some want it back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.