Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Travelling Cats

Travelling Cats

Old May 18th 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Question Travelling Cats

I have 2 beautiful rescued cats and planning to relocate to Italy.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about taking them.

It would break my heart to leave them behind but as usual everything comes down to cost etc...
Old May 18th 2007, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

eales is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Travelling Cats

Hola Mitzipurr
We brought 3 cats to Spain by road. We started off with a caravan in which they had the run of whilst travelling. However the 'van fell apart---long story--- so the cats travelled in the back of our van in a large cage we purchased in England. They had to spend almost 3 days cooped up with their food and dirt tray and they were wonderful. When we arrived we kept them shut in the house for about a week and then let them out----no problems at all. Please don't leave your cats behind they travel well and settle well. They may protest a little at first but they soon settle down. We bought harnesses for them so they could have a walk around when we stopped on the way.
Hope you enjoy Italy
Old May 18th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

julie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant futurejulie22 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Travelling Cats

We brought our 3 cats over to Spain by air. Cost was around 500 pounds, including their travelling boxes (cost us 14.99 each!!!). Also I think around 50 pounds each for jabs and passports.

One of the cats was 17 years old, and I was so worried about bringing her, but could not bear to leave her behind. She had arthritis in her legs, so had trouble getting down the stairs and jumping on to the settee, but other than that the vet confirmed she was fit enough to fly.

Whilst I am sure the journey was traumatic for them, within 24 hours of being here we had them settled into a sort of routine and within a week they were going out on their own.

The old cat changed dramatically, probably due to the sun relieving her arthritis, and would stay out all night with the others. Unfortunately she died a few months ago, of old age, she was 18 years old, but I am so glad we brought her and am sure her short life here was far better than remaining in the UK.

The other two cats are now fully settled, and even complain when it rains and they cant go outside. They have both lost weight and look like Spanish skinny cats, and apart from them killing and bringing home rabbits, I am so glad we brought them with us.

I think the main thing is to get them back into a routine as soon as possible. When we first moved here, I took my cats for a walk around the garden every morning, and whilst they now are totally independant, they still wake me up at 7.00 am, for their early morning walk.