Reload this Page >

Travel from UK to Spain

Travel from UK to Spain

Old May 13th 2020, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Greywolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel from UK to Spain

Hi there
My partner and I have been planning to move to Spain since this time last year. We were planning to go to Spain about now but that's been put on hold. We would like to go for a recce trip ( not flying) ie, Driving through France and down to the south of Spain. Has anybody had any experience of this recently ? Some ferries are running , which would be the best ferry route. We would probably be looking at a months time . I would appreciate any useful info. Thank you.
Old May 13th 2020, 5:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel from UK to Spain

As far as I am aware the Spanish border is closed to non residents so you will need to check that out. Even if you do manage to enter you will be heavily restricted in your movements. This could change but I would not make any short term plans.

Spanish residents who are stuck in the UK are finding it very difficult to get back to Spain and the same goes for UK residents who wish to return to the UK.

As far as I am aware the French are not allowing non essential travellers to enter France and you may also face a compulsory 14 day quarantine if you reach Spain.

Do you not read the newspapers?

Last edited by Fred James; May 13th 2020 at 5:18 pm.
Old May 13th 2020, 5:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Daily new infections in Spain seem to have levelled out over the past two weeks at around 2,000 new cases per day (having previously peaked at around 7,000-7,500/day in late March and early April), which is still a significant number and I can't imagine that Spain will either allow tourists/ non residents to enter, OR that it would be sensible to visit Spain (even if you are allowed to do so) until the infection rate has dropped a lot lower.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 13th 2020 at 5:44 pm.
Old May 13th 2020, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Fred. I guess it will be a waiting game.
Old May 14th 2020, 7:43 am
Just Joined

As regards the newspapers . On Monday they said that travel between France and UK could go ahead, and Spanish resorts were opening up with a few restrictions. No flights were given the go ahead yet. That's the reason for my question
Old May 14th 2020, 8:30 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greywolf
Hi there
My partner and I have been planning to move to Spain since this time last year. We were planning to go to Spain about now but that's been put on hold. We would like to go for a recce trip ( not flying) ie, Driving through France and down to the south of Spain. Has anybody had any experience of this recently ? Some ferries are running , which would be the best ferry route. We would probably be looking at a months time . I would appreciate any useful info. Thank you.
Hi from the France forum!
At present, travel for the French is confined to their départements (= counties) or to 100 km as the crow flies from their domicile. This restriction is valid until 10th July and might be extended if necessary. Exceptions are made if you need to travel for your work or if you need to care for a vulnerable relative and you have a special Attestation. So, even if you did manage to get across to Calais and on the road, you wouldn't get any further than the Somme.
Spanish/Portuguese/French residents are allowed to return from the UK to their principal place of residence (carrying proof), but you're a UK resident and would be on holiday.
Apart from these travel restrictions which might change (for the worse), no date has been given for the re-opening of cafés and restaurants, gîtes, B&Bs, etc...., which further limits holiday plans for the French.
Sorry to be pessimistic, but look in on the France forum in a few weeks' time to see what the official situation is (don't rely on newspaper reports). Personally I wouldn't plan any recce trip via France before mid-July at the very earliest, if then.....
Old May 14th 2020, 10:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greywolf
As regards the newspapers . On Monday they said that travel between France and UK could go ahead, and Spanish resorts were opening up with a few restrictions. No flights were given the go ahead yet. That's the reason for my question
This link will help to keep you informed.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https..._GgurqPiavVqW9

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2020, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute