Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance??

Travel Insurance??

Old May 20th 2009, 9:33 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Insurance??

Hi, just want to gather peoples' opinions.

We are travelling to the UK on the Pride of Bilbao on June 2nd and will stay a couple of months. We have not booked our return journey yet, but may come back via France.

We are covered for Healthcare in Spain from an E121 , and elsewhere in Europe (including the UK) on the TSE card.

We can't decide whether to bother with travel insurance. We realise that if we don't then we are not covered for loss of baggage etc, or repatriation.

What do others think? Would you bother with travel inurance under these circumstances?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by scampicat; May 20th 2009 at 9:37 am. Reason: Correction of Spelling
Old May 20th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Re: Travel Insurance??

Originally Posted by scampicat

We are travelling to the UK on the Pride of Bilbao on June 2nd and will stay a couple of months. We have not booked our return journey yet, but may come back via France.

We are covered for Healthcare in Spain from an E121 , and elsewhere in Europe (including the UK) on the TSE card.

We can't decide whether to bother with travel insurance. We realise that if we don't then we are not covered for loss of baggage etc, or repatriation.

What do others think? Would you bother with travel inurance under these circumstances?

Thanks for your input.
Hi
Have you had any quotes for your insurance cover yet ?
If they don't want a fortune personally I would take it.
Better to be safe than sorry

Chris
Old May 20th 2009, 10:39 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I go along with Chris on this one, it`s crazy money if you need repatriation and probably more if you have to stay for treatment for something serious.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your input.
Are you sure you don't already have travel insurance that came packaged in with a credit card? home insurance policy?

I have a travel insurance policy that came bundled in with my purchase of a Samsonite suitcase!
Old May 20th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

I don't think with standard travel insurance you are covered on single trips over 31 days in duration ?
Old May 20th 2009, 11:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My private health covers me in Europe for health. I'm just going through getting insurance, and for worldwide it seems the best is around £90 - £100 for a couple.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:43 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies

Yes, we have had a quote (£60 is the cheapest for an annual couples policy for the cheapest but it seems to cover us for so much we don't want or already have). It covers up to 50 days but you can extend.

I will look at my credit card/insurance for details, thanks!

I think really it is repatriation that is the potential problem. We would be covered for health matters on the TSE card and will be staying in our own house in the UK, so no further costs would be necessary. If we were taken ill in the UK we'd just stay there, we wouldn't want to be repatriated to Spain.

Thanks all once agian, .still thinking.

Last edited by scampicat; May 20th 2009 at 11:55 am.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, we have had a quote (£60 is the cheapest for an annual couples policy for the cheapest but it seems to cover us for so much we don't want or already have). It covers up to 50 days but you can extend.

I think really it is repatriation that is the potential problem. We would be covered for health matters on the TSE card and will be staying in our own house in the UK, so no further costs would be necessary. If we were taken ill in the UK we'd just stay there, we wouldn't want to be repatriated to Spain.

I know we are supposed to be having a hot summer , but bring some sunshine with you just in case ?
Old May 20th 2009, 2:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You will find that you have to prove that you had moved back to the UK permanently and are no longer resident in Spain to get UK health cover.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:53 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by jdr
You will find that you have to prove that you had moved back to the UK permanently and are no longer resident in Spain to get UK health cover.
No, We haveour TSE (European Health card) which will cover us for any tratement from any condition sustained in the UK. I even rang the UK Healthcare about this and said if I broke my leg in the UK, would I just get it plastered up or would it be treated right up until it was better under the terms of the TSE. They said it would cover us until treatment was complete, I said does that mean until the leg was better, they said yes.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

fergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant futurefergy has a brilliant future

Ive used Atlasdirect.co.uk for years and always been very competitive for an annual family policy.

Ive just renewed and with platinum cover and no excesses including baggage was £35 and a few pennies
Old May 21st 2009, 9:24 am
Ex Expat

Thanks everyone and will check out Atlas
Old May 21st 2009, 9:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

No, We haveour TSE (European Health card) which will cover us for any tratement from any condition sustained in the UK. I even rang the UK Healthcare about this and said if I broke my leg in the UK, would I just get it plastered up or would it be treated right up until it was better under the terms of the TSE. They said it would cover us until treatment was complete, I said does that mean until the leg was better, they said yes.
I wish they would make their mind up as it states emergency treatment only.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:40 am
Ex Expat

Can only seem to find information for UK or US residents on Atlas? Phone numbers are American.

Thanks anyway.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:32 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by jdr
I wish they would make their mind up as it states emergency treatment only.
Yes it does, when I rang they said that 'emergency' means an illness or injury that is an emergency (like breaking your leg), but they will treat the emergency until it is better, not just give the first lot of treatment.

That's what they told me anyway.

Apparently each country interprets 'emergency' in their own way. Spain would just stick the leg in plaster and send you on your way, apparently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.