Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Transporting worldly goods to Spain

Transporting worldly goods to Spain

Old May 10th 2006, 11:02 am
New to this board

wanttogotospain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transporting worldly goods to Spain

We're moving either late this year or early next but we're not sure how to transport out stuff over. We are selling most things over here ie. furniture etc and will replace when we settle, but will still have a buggy (roadworthy), about 4 storage boxes of personal belongings and a cat to transport.
What would you recommend, we've started pricing up things like van hire, flights, containers but would like to hear what other people have done and how easy it was.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 10th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transporting worldly goods to Spain

a road worthy buggy ?? a beach buggy? a VW ???

and 4 storage boxes?? thats under a 1m3 isnĀ“t it? the boxes are 500mm X 500mm X 500mm right?? so four of them is gonna cost you like .. 60 quid to transport to spain. the cat can come on the plane with you.

actually.. put the boxes in the back of the buggy and get that transported for 300 quid - et voilais all your stuff is here when you arrive
Old May 10th 2006, 11:10 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanttogotospain
We're moving either late this year or early next but we're not sure how to transport out stuff over. We are selling most things over here ie. furniture etc and will replace when we settle, but will still have a buggy (roadworthy), about 4 storage boxes of personal belongings and a cat to transport.
What would you recommend, we've started pricing up things like van hire, flights, containers but would like to hear what other people have done and how easy it was.
Thanks in advance!
Well we're the same as you as we are selling most stuff and just taking a small amount with us. Somehow english style furniture just doesn't look right in a Spanish house imho.

So what we will be taking will be quite valuable to us, and I'm not going to risk giving it to some bloke in a van. Such a small amount of stuff will get lost in the big removals companies system and probably take months to get to Spain.

I am actually thinking about hiring a van in Spain and coming back to the UK to pick up the stuff. At least I end up in the right place, and as I have a car to take down there it makes sense. Haven't checked on hire rates yet though!

Sending the cat on the plane apparantly can cost a few hundred quid so I've seen someone post in the past.
Old May 10th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Sending the cat on the plane apparantly can cost a few hundred quid so I've seen someone post in the past.
And can be more stressful for older cats, or cats that can't be given a little something to chill them out, than going by chunnel/road.
Old May 10th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

We are selling most things over here ie. furniture etc and will replace when we settle,
we've started pricing up things like van hire, flights, containers but would like to hear what other people have done and how easy it was.
Thanks in advance!
I'm in a similar situation WRT bring furniture over to Spain (tho' hopefully
in the next few months rather than next year).
Personally, I'm planning on transporting beds rather than selling & rebuying
as I feel that nobody would want to buy secondhand beds so the price I got
would be very low.

I've priced up hiring a transit (or similar) and it came to about Ā£500 for a
week. The complication is that a lot of the cheapo hire places don't let you
take a vehicle outside the UK. Add on another Ā£500 for ferries to Spain, as
I'm much too lazy to drive through France twice, and it adds up. Therefore
I am giving serious thought to buying a secondhand van for about Ā£1500,
using it for the trip and selling it again afterwards - I doubt it'll depreciate
much in a month or two.

Pete
Old May 10th 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

We were really lucky a friend transported our stuff down here for us - the total cost was around 1500 pounds - that was for a van hire, fuel, tolls and ferries. We were quoted 6000 pounds from a removal firm. I see a business opportunity here for someone prepared to do small removals for people relocating to Spain?? I think the going rate for BA to bring a cat is around 500 pounds!!
Old May 11th 2006, 6:29 am
New to this board

Originally Posted by Amara
We were really lucky a friend transported our stuff down here for us - the total cost was around 1500 pounds - that was for a van hire, fuel, tolls and ferries. We were quoted 6000 pounds from a removal firm. I see a business opportunity here for someone prepared to do small removals for people relocating to Spain?? I think the going rate for BA to bring a cat is around 500 pounds!!
6000pounds is extortionate, theres no way we'd pay that!!!
You were really lucky that a friend helped you out, we are thinking of hiring a van, a friend and my hubby sharing the driving down to Spain and then our friend drives it back, is that similar to what you did?
And 500pounds to fly my cat over!!! Can't he get a cheap seat with Ryanair!!!!!!! Anyway, will have to pay it cos I;m not leaving him here.
Thanks for the advice.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

Hi there - Unfortunately Ryanair do not accept pets - I don't know exactly what BA charge but I know it is expensive as they have to heat the hold especially for the animals. I know they also charge 100 pounds admin fee for the pleasure. Our friend got the ferry to France and drove down through France and Spain, he did it in quick time too, left on Friday morning and got to Jerez on Saturday morning (1500 miles), he said the drive down was amazing, across the mountains. Maybe it would be better to put the cat in the van??
Old May 11th 2006, 9:35 am
New to this board

Originally Posted by Amara
Hi there - Unfortunately Ryanair do not accept pets - I don't know exactly what BA charge but I know it is expensive as they have to heat the hold especially for the animals. I know they also charge 100 pounds admin fee for the pleasure. Our friend got the ferry to France and drove down through France and Spain, he did it in quick time too, left on Friday morning and got to Jerez on Saturday morning (1500 miles), he said the drive down was amazing, across the mountains. Maybe it would be better to put the cat in the van??
Mmmmm that is a good idea, we weren't sure how he'd cope with it, he's 15 (but seems about 15 months sometimes) so the van with us might be better.
Thanks for the info, there may be more questions flying your way soon!!!!
Old May 11th 2006, 10:39 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm that is a good idea, we weren't sure how he'd cope with it, he's 15 (but seems about 15 months sometimes) so the van with us might be better.
Thanks for the info, there may be more questions flying your way soon!!!!
I'm taking ours in a car / van. If you speak to the vet they will be able to give the cat something that will sedate it so that the trip is not too traumatic. Make sure you carry a large mess tray

I couldn't put our cat through the trauma of going in the hold of an aircraft.
Old May 11th 2006, 11:47 am
New to this board

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm taking ours in a car / van. If you speak to the vet they will be able to give the cat something that will sedate it so that the trip is not too traumatic. Make sure you carry a large mess tray

I couldn't put our cat through the trauma of going in the hold of an aircraft.
Yes, I was thinking the same, but you're right about the large mess tray.
Good Luck with your viewing by the way!!! Wish we could get someone to look at ours!!!
Old May 11th 2006, 2:58 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone considered buying a trailer or hiring one ??? I reckon you could get quite a lot in a decent trailer. There was a company called Trident trailers near Maidstone Kent that used to hire out all sorts of trailers, including horse boxes, and a Range Rover to tow them with. I needed to tow a boat some years ago when I discovered them, but a friend towed it for me with an old ambulance in the end. Probably cheaper on the ferry than a van, throw in a roof rack and I reckon you could move a lot !!
Old May 11th 2006, 3:16 pm
New to this board

Originally Posted by poollounger
Has anyone considered buying a trailer or hiring one ??? I reckon you could get quite a lot in a decent trailer. There was a company called Trident trailers near Maidstone Kent that used to hire out all sorts of trailers, including horse boxes, and a Range Rover to tow them with. I needed to tow a boat some years ago when I discovered them, but a friend towed it for me with an old ambulance in the end. Probably cheaper on the ferry than a van, throw in a roof rack and I reckon you could move a lot !!
We have thought of getting a trailer but were worried about theft while we are travelling through France and Spain as we will have to do a few stopovers en route. But it is worth considering again.
Thanks
Old May 11th 2006, 4:21 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by poollounger
Probably cheaper on the ferry than a van, throw in a roof rack and I reckon you could move a lot !!
Thats it ..... strap the cat to the roof rack and give it the ride of its life. I can just see the look on its little face when we stop for a tea break. Clinging to the rack with its little paws ... wouldn't need the mess tray though but god help the people following us
Old May 11th 2006, 4:41 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

We have thought of getting a trailer but were worried about theft while we are travelling through France and Spain as we will have to do a few stopovers en route. But it is worth considering again.
Thanks
Have a look at [url]www.tridenttrailers.com.[url] They seem to have a huge range.. perhaps you can get one with a lockable lid ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.