Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Transferring Uk car to spanish plates

Transferring Uk car to spanish plates

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

hoyler30589 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring Uk car to spanish plates

hi all im hoping you might be able to help me. im moving to spain with my canadian wife and was wanting to take my car with me.

its my friend so dont really want to sell it plus getting a cheap automatic car is hard to come by.

its a little 2001 nissan micra

what im wondering how hard is it to transfer over to spanish plates and is it expensive?

thank you for all your help its really appreciated

richard
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

pnwheels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring Uk car to spanish plates

Yes, it can be done, but I suspect the cost will be more than the value of a 13 year old Micra. Auto cars are quite common here.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoyler30589
hi all im hoping you might be able to help me. im moving to spain with my canadian wife and was wanting to take my car with me.

its my friend so dont really want to sell it plus getting a cheap automatic car is hard to come by.

its a little 2001 nissan micra

what im wondering how hard is it to transfer over to spanish plates and is it expensive?

thank you for all your help its really appreciated

richard
Unless it's changed, if you have owned the car for more then 6 months and you matriculate it as soon as you register as a resident, it shouldnt be too expensive as you will avoid the import registration fee.

Having said that ..... a 2001 Nissan Micra ....... It might well cost you more than the car is worth

I paid around €1200 iirc (it was a long time ago) but that was with paying the import registration fee, and also a few extras needed doing to it, as it was a Japanese Grey Import.

You will probably need LHD headlights though, which would be a main cost.

You might like a read through THIS

I'm sure you'll get plenty more information from others here
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:41 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

The info in the link given is out of date - I will send Mitzy the updated version when I get back to Spain.

If you can get a certificate of European conformity for your car you will save money and trouble.
There is no need for a consular certificate as the 60 days now starts from the date the Padron was issued.

Davexf
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pnwheels
Auto cars are quite common here.
They are not common at all - especially on small cars of that age.

A 10 year old small auto is as rare as hen's teeth in Spain.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 3:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

The info in the link given is out of date - I will send Mitzy the updated version when I get back to Spain.

If you can get a certificate of European conformity for your car you will save money and trouble.
There is no need for a consular certificate as the 60 days now starts from the date the Padron was issued.

Davexf
You'd need to bring this to the attention of a moderator so they can update it, thanks
Old Sep 5th 2014, 11:02 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have updated the sticky thread and the Wiki.