Reload this Page >

Transfer Drivers

Transfer Drivers

Old May 22nd 2008, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

kreamo123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer Drivers

Hello all

Is anyone on this forum a transfer driveror know anyone who is ie transfering people to the airport and vice versa legally. I only ask because i am interested in becoming one i'm still in the uk at the moment but i'm coming over very soon. I have tried to contact some of the firms by e mail but to no avail. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer Drivers

you will need a permit and licence, and to be able to speak Spanish. MOST of the companies trading and doing this are probably legal, BUT there are literally hundreds of people, 'just doing it for friends' but if any money changes hands, then it is a taxi, and you could have the car impounded. Legal taxi drivers are happy to report the illegal ones.
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:49 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mikelincs
you will need a permit and licence, and to be able to speak Spanish. MOST of the companies trading and doing this are probably legal, BUT there are literally hundreds of people, 'just doing it for friends' but if any money changes hands, then it is a taxi, and you could have the car impounded. Legal taxi drivers are happy to report the illegal ones.

I hear that the fare from The Sangatte refugee camp to Porta Banus Cab Rank is a nice little earner
even better if you own a bendy bus.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 22nd 2008 at 6:54 pm.
Old May 22nd 2008, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

kreamo123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant thanks for the reply. Do you think the licences are easily obtainable or is there fierce competition. Do you think it's a similiar precedure to being a mini cab driver or cheuffeur over here in england.

Thanks again
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kreamo123
Brilliant thanks for the reply. Do you think the licences are easily obtainable or is there fierce competition. Do you think it's a similiar precedure to being a mini cab driver or cheuffeur over here in england.

Thanks again
It will probably be hard to do as I would think any test needed will be in Spanish.
If you do a search of the forum "top right" I am sure somebody else tried this before.
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have to be careful regarding airport runs, the taxi drivers look out for the illegal drivers, and vandalize their cars, have seen it happen.
Old May 23rd 2008, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
Have to be careful regarding airport runs, the taxi drivers look out for the illegal drivers, and vandalize their cars, have seen it happen.

Yup, the airport taxi mafia can be a tad aggressive. All tyres slashed, couple of broken windows and a few dents in the bodywork to begin with and they will even have a go at the driver too. I was glad that wasnt my car. Never, ever, exchange money between driver and passenger after dropping off at airport for any reason as it could very easily be taken as a sign of illegal taxiing.
Old May 23rd 2008, 1:52 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an accident, and the insurance company gets suspicious, I have heard of cases where they ask for the data of cars entering the airport. If you have been there a few times a month, then they give you the option of dropping the claim in return for their silence of illegal activities. This may be OK with a small accident but imagine if a passenger is seriously injured. By the way how many of people on this forum were illegal taxis in the UK?? Because whatever you call the service, that is what it is. I know lots of Brits who are, here in Spain doing airport runs to supplement their income. I am just as guilty because I use them myself when necessary, I pay my money and take my chance. But lets call a spade a spade, it is an illegal activity,and convince ourselves otherwise.
Old May 23rd 2008, 3:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kreamo123
Do you think the licences are easily obtainable or is there fierce competition.

They are almost impossible to obtain.

Each town issues licences and the number in operation is limited to a fixed number. If additional licences are granted then there is a huge waiting list.

As a result about the only way to get one is from a retiring taxi driver at huge cost.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

jimmy23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked at the possibility of doing a similar operation. I think you mean a private hire taxi. The rules as I was informed are that you would have to pass a B.T.P. exam this would enable you to drive an S.P. ( servicio publico ) vehicle. The exam incidentally is only in Spanish. Also to qualify for permission to operate private hire vehicles you have to have no less than five vehicles.
There also other rules that have to be followed, it is all explained in the B.T.P booklet again all in Spanish. I do know some people do this service illegally but in my view it is just too risky and I did not come to Spain to break the law. Hope this helps