British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Train travel revolution benefits Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/train-travel-revolution-benefits-spain-947908/)

spainrico Apr 28th 2023 7:39 am

Train travel revolution benefits Spain

Has anybody travelled on the new low-cost train services - how do they compare with the AVE?

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023...-be-a-model-fo

Lynn R Apr 28th 2023 8:18 am

Re: Train travel revolution benefits Spain

We are going to Madrid on one of the new Iryo services from Malaga, but not until September. We booked it just after they released tickets for the new service and got fares of €18 each way (for the fares that don't include any catering). The train times were ideal for us, 11.45 departure from Malaga and leaving at 11.30 from Atocha on the way back. So I am looking forward to finding out how they compare with the AVE, which we have used several times. They use the Fresciarossa trains which I have been on in Italy and they were very comfortable.

SanNico Apr 28th 2023 9:27 am

We've also booked with Iryo from Valencia to Madrid, going in June. I can't remember the breakdown but it was 55 Euro for 2 return tickets. I'll let you know how it compares.

Now all we need is a decent service to Barcelona. The only semi-reasonable option at the moment is the bus which is pretty pricey.

rbs_gb Apr 29th 2023 2:26 pm

Speak to anyone in Cantabria about travelling by train and they will either burst into tears or burst into laughter. It's like turning the clock back 50 years and reminds me of train travel in the 1960s. To get to Bilbao, it is a 3 hours train journey, or an hour on the bus! Madrid can only be reached via Burgos or Valladolid and still takes an hour longer than by bus. Ask anyone about the local FEVE service (the narrow guage local trains) and there are so many videos of push bikes and tractors overtaking the trains!!

spainrico Aug 17th 2023 4:19 pm

More people letting the train take the strain!

https://www.surinenglish.com/spain/m...163310-nt.html

Lynn R Aug 17th 2023 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by SanNico (Post 13189379)
We've also booked with Iryo from Valencia to Madrid, going in June. I can't remember the breakdown but it was 55 Euro for 2 return tickets. I'll let you know how it compares.

Now all we need is a decent service to Barcelona. The only semi-reasonable option at the moment is the bus which is pretty pricey.

How did you find the Iryo service, SanNico?

Pollyana Aug 17th 2023 5:02 pm

I travelled with Iryo this week, didn't realise it was new or whatever. I did Santiago de Compostela to Madrid with Renfe, then on to Barcelona with Iryo.
I was actually more impressed with Iryo than Renfe. I did Madrird to S de C with Renfe last year and it was an amazing trip, both service, and the scenery. So I thought I'd come south by train instead of flying Renfe were terrible. Train was almost full, someone in my seat refusing to move (at least I assume thats what their stream of screamed Spanish meant when I showed them my ticket!). So I ended up sitting anywhere there was a space, moving at each station as I got glares and muttering from people boarding! Missed out on the stunning scenery as a result of course.
Iryo from Madrid was similarly packed but I managed to get my seat, which was really comfy, lots of legroom, good table space, and good trolley service. Very impressed :)

Lynn R Aug 17th 2023 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13210096)
I travelled with Iryo this week, didn't realise it was new or whatever. I did Santiago de Compostela to Madrid with Renfe, then on to Barcelona with Iryo.
I was actually more impressed with Iryo than Renfe. I did Madrird to S de C with Renfe last year and it was an amazing trip, both service, and the scenery. So I thought I'd come south by train instead of flying Renfe were terrible. Train was almost full, someone in my seat refusing to move (at least I assume thats what their stream of screamed Spanish meant when I showed them my ticket!). So I ended up sitting anywhere there was a space, moving at each station as I got glares and muttering from people boarding! Missed out on the stunning scenery as a result of course.
Iryo from Madrid was similarly packed but I managed to get my seat, which was really comfy, lots of legroom, good table space, and good trolley service. Very impressed :)

Thank you, that's good to know. Our trip is coming up in a few weeks. There have been a couple of changes to the time of our train returning from Madrid since we originally made the booking (due to major engineering works taking place on the line) but departure time is only 30 minutes later so no big deal.

Casa Santo Estevo Aug 17th 2023 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13210096)

Sorry but you cannot say that it is RENFE fault that the train is full in August. At the moment RENFE are the only operator on that line. Iryo is looking to start services in a few years time. At the moment I believe there are technical issues to over come. Gauge width and signalling infrastructure if I am not mistaken. Galicia to madridRent a car for a day could have been cheaper and quicker if there is more than one of you. Fly direct to Barcelona.
There used to be a service running from Galicia to Barcelona. That was stopped during Covid. Now that is the fault of RENFE.
Purchase public transport tickets via Trainlane. Adds few € to the cost but it searches for alternatives.
https://www.thetrainline.com

DLC Aug 17th 2023 9:57 pm

This week is the week where half of Spain returns from their holidays and the other half sets out on their holidays, so everything is packed.

Pollyana Aug 18th 2023 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 13210118)
Sorry but you cannot say that it is RENFE fault that the train is full in August. At the moment RENFE are the only operator on that line. Iryo is looking to start services in a few years time. At the moment I believe there are technical issues to over come. Gauge width and signalling infrastructure if I am not mistaken. Galicia to madridRent a car for a day could have been cheaper and quicker if there is more than one of you. Fly direct to Barcelona.
There used to be a service running from Galicia to Barcelona. That was stopped during Covid. Now that is the fault of RENFE.
Purchase public transport tickets via Trainlane. Adds few € to the cost but it searches for alternatives.
https://www.thetrainline.com

Hey don’t get me wrong, I know its peak season and if it hadn’t have been for a special birthday its the last month I would want to visit Spain!
Too hot for the main reason. My annoyance was that having booked a seat & found someone else in it, I was the one expected to seat-hop throughout the journey, which for someone unsteady with a walking stick and luggage is not fun!
If I appeared to be blaming RENFE it was purely for them not evicting Mr Idiot instead of leaving him in my seat 😀 Other than that its my fault for expecting the trip to be smooth.
I did get the tickets through Trainline, having done Madrid - S de C last year by train I hoped for a similarly pleasant trip, which is the only reason I didn’t fly. I don’t drive at all. Interesting to know there used to be a route direct to Barcelona.
My main reason for posting though was that I didn’t know Iryo were new - they were excellent from Madrid to Barcelona.

SanNico Aug 18th 2023 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13210093)
How did you find the Iryo service, SanNico?

It was really good. I also preferred it to Renfe. Biggest bonus is it goes to Chamartin station which is much nicer than the other one.

The way up was full of old rockers (we were going to see Guns n Roses) but the return journey was full of annoying teenagers. Then again everything is annoying when you're tired and a little hungover.

Actually we've booked the same for next month with them as we're going to a music festival near the airport. This time 60 Euro return for 2 as I only booked it this week. It would be a few Euro cheaper to drive but the parking is 23 Euro per day, so the train wins again.

Lynn R Aug 18th 2023 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by SanNico (Post 13210298)
It was really good. I also preferred it to Renfe. Biggest bonus is it goes to Chamartin station which is much nicer than the other one.

Thanks, I hope our experience will be similarly good. Our train from Málaga comes into Atocha station which we don't mind as we know our way around the station and the surrounding area. I think I've only been to Chamartin once and don't remember anything about it!

Retired in Euskadi Aug 19th 2023 6:29 am

Originally Posted by rbs_gb (Post 13189648)
Speak to anyone in Cantabria about travelling by train and they will either burst into tears or burst into laughter. It's like turning the clock back 50 years and reminds me of train travel in the 1960s. To get to Bilbao, it is a 3 hours train journey, or an hour on the bus! Madrid can only be reached via Burgos or Valladolid and still takes an hour longer than by bus. Ask anyone about the local FEVE service (the narrow guage local trains) and there are so many videos of push bikes and tractors overtaking the trains!!

The same for Euskadi. Too many mountains in the way.
It's quicker to Madrid from Bilbao by Alsa coach. And by the time the TAV (high speed train) is completed, we'll probably be too old to travel.

spainrico Aug 29th 2023 6:09 am

AVE to Almeria

https://www.railtech.com/infrastruct...eria-approved/