Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Train from Madrid to Malaga

Train from Madrid to Malaga

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:43 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all
Default Train from Madrid to Malaga

Before we start please all excuse my ignorance.

My Spanish is not good enough yet though I am trying and will get there eventually.
In my defence though my Arabic is good proving that I do make an effort with languages.

Does anyone know of an English version of the Rene railway line site so I can book tickets on line?

I am really struggling as the Spanish site is very unforgiving as in 1 mistake and it's back to the beginning.

Getting desperate as we arrive July 10th and have been at it for a week now!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Train from Madrid to Malaga

Originally Posted by eylesda
Before we start please all excuse my ignorance.

My Spanish is not good enough yet though I am trying and will get there eventually.
In my defence though my Arabic is good proving that I do make an effort with languages.

Does anyone know of an English version of the Rene railway line site so I can book tickets on line?

I am really struggling as the Spanish site is very unforgiving as in 1 mistake and it's back to the beginning.

Getting desperate as we arrive July 10th and have been at it for a week now!
I had a similar problem last December. I needed to book a ticket for the following day from Madrid to Valencia
and it proved impossible to do it online. I even got the receptionist at the hotel that I was staying in (Spanish, in Madrid) call the station. We were told that not possible to buy the ticket online, and ended up having to be at the station much earlier to buy the ticket there.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:10 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

The last time we flew in we tried to buy a ticket at the airport and was told sold out, which I did not believe but what to do?

Cost a fortune to hire a car 1 way, of course the only cars available were BMW's at an arm and a leg!
Three full sized teenagers and 2 adults crammed in a 1 series for best part of 6 hours. The worst trip ever.

Anyone out there any suggestions?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eylesda
The last time we flew in we tried to buy a ticket at the airport and was told sold out, which I did not believe but what to do?

Cost a fortune to hire a car 1 way, of course the only cars available were BMW's at an arm and a leg!
Three full sized teenagers and 2 adults crammed in a 1 series for best part of 6 hours. The worst trip ever.

Anyone out there any suggestions?
Have you looked at the airlines for internal flights?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:21 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

The site is available in English (there is a selct language option, bottom left of the Spanish home page) http://www.renfe.es/horarios/english/index.html
I've found that to successfully book and pay for tickets online you need to register as a user. Also RENFE will only accept certain credit/debit cards.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:02 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Warning! It used to be the case (I don't know if it's changed yet) that you can end up paying more if you book on the English language version of the website, as opposed to Spanish. Read following link:

http://southofwatford.blogspot.com/2...-you-dont.html
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
The site is available in English (there is a selct language option, bottom left of the Spanish home page) http://www.renfe.es/horarios/english/index.html
I've found that to successfully book and pay for tickets online you need to register as a user. Also RENFE will only accept certain credit/debit cards.
Now this is why we have forum!

Thanks Hillybilly, just purchases and printed all my tickets.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:18 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I have also read similar links about the RENFE site giving better prices for the Spanish users.
It is just because it is a confusing website and poorly coded. However the UK train website is just as confusing and it is also hard to find a good fare at times.
Here is another discussion about this:
http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...23/m/926102981

But here is a link which explains all the workings (or not) of the RENFE website
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...09-Madrid.html
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:23 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I have also read similar links about the RENFE site giving better prices for the Spanish users.
It is just because it is a confusing website and poorly coded. However the UK train website is just as confusing and it is also hard to find a good fare at times.
Here is another discussion about this:
http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...23/m/926102981

But here is a link which explains all the workings (or not) of the RENFE website
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...09-Madrid.html
Thanks for that forum link! It appears that the prices on both English and Spanish language sites are now the same; however you have to take care to avoid reading an old page prior to the updates. One piece of advice seems particularly useful for those with rusty Spanish- search for your journey first on the English site (taking note of the steps you make), then go on the Spanish side and re-trace your steps before booking.