Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Train development news

Train development news

Old Aug 5th 2013, 7:34 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Train development news

The quotes 'if true' from the Driver says he was going too fast, he messed it up and he wish he was dead. However one should ask in what context was this said.
Yes he was going too fast, but why? Was he distracted? It seems so. But why? Should he have answered the phone? Did he know it was not an emergency? Should the conductor have phone the driver? Should there not have been a safer means of communication between the two? Was it because the infrastructure was inadequate?
He wishes he was dead, I would too after seeing the wreckage.

The news about the driver are superstition (sorry about the typo before). The facts are the works and changes to the operation system(s) presently begin undertaken by ADIF.
The political need behind the original plans to have this up and running before a certain date will have influenced many factors in this project. Like the actual train; it was a “bastard” train made especially to run on this line.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
The news about the driver are superstition (sorry about the typo before).
Not being picky, you got another typo, it should be "supposition". Wish my Spanish was as good as your English!
I think it's safe to say, a lot of things were wrong, including the cover up going on, but as yet, we don't actually know. The subsequent enquiry, the contents of the black box, will perhaps give us a definitive report of what actually happened.

Last edited by agoreira; Aug 5th 2013 at 8:03 am.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:13 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Like the actual train; it was a “bastard” train made especially to run on this line.
Clarification ?

Whose words are those and what are they all about ?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Clarification ?

Whose words are those and what are they all about ?
Think he might mean "hybrid". It can run on diesel and electric.
El tren es conocido como "híbrido", es decir, puede tener tracción eléctrica y diésel y está adaptado para circular por la vía de Renfe, más ancha que la del resto de Europa, y la Internacional.
http://www.espormadrid.es/2012/06/nu...duales-de.html
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:25 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Think he might mean "hybrid". It can run on diesel and electric.
And it is also a dual gauge as it can run on the Spanish wide track and the newer narrower International track that the AVE runs on.

It can change gauge while moving - clever stuff!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
And it is also a dual gauge as it can run on the Spanish wide track and the newer narrower International track that the AVE runs on.

Yes it's rather interesting it goes through the guage changing machinery whilst passengers are still onboard.

However the engines are not dual guage only the carriages.
Attached Thumbnails Train development news-p5180301.jpg   Train development news-p5180297.jpg  
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:12 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

However the engines are not dual guage only the carriages.
I was under the impression that the Talgo 250 was the only tractor unit that could do this. If not the train would have to stop at some stage to change tractors.

http://www.talgo.com/index.php/en/cambio_a.php

There is a video of it doing it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qaV1tI3Auo

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 5th 2013 at 10:25 am.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:36 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

How come Spain got into such a mess with these two track gauges ?

As I understand it most countries quickly adopted the standard gauge for their main systems at least a century and a half ago.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:52 am

Some theories suggest it was deliberately made different in the 19th century to stop the French invading by train!

A better theory is that the engineers responsible just got is wrong as they thought that as the country was so mountainous a larger gauge would allow wider, more powerful locomotives but that turned out not to be the case.

Article on WiKi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_gauge
Old Aug 5th 2013, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that the Talgo 250 was the only tractor unit that could do this. If not the train would have to stop at some stage to change tractors.

http://www.talgo.com/index.php/en/cambio_a.php

There is a video of it doing it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qaV1tI3Auo
Apologies Fred I was not aware that the Talgo could do that.

My experience was on the Altaria from Algeciras to Madrid, being regauged at Bobadilla where the photos were taken
Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Apologies Fred I was not aware that the Talgo could do that.

My experience was on the Altaria from Algeciras to Madrid, being regauged at Bobadilla where the photos were taken
They were doing it manually at Irun for many years, mainly to accommodate the night sleeper from Paris to Madrid.

This new system does look pretty clever.

Spain is not exactly renowned as an engineering world leader but they sure know how to build trains!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 7:42 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

agoreira, has it.
The AVE is described in WIKI
The train that crashed was at first proclaimed to be an AVE, by government officials, but it was in fact a class S730. It is similar to the Talgo 250, the S730 train runs with a diesel at one end and electric power at from the other. In other words a bastard. neither one thing or another. A quick fix solution.
Perhaps the first paragraph of this page describes the train set the best.
The service was being operated by a RENFE Class S730 Talgo 250 high-speed train set. The Class S730 is a sub-class of RENFE Class S130, the main difference between the two models is the installation of two diesel generator cars directly next to the locomotives into the train set, which are used to power the train on non-electrified rail lines, thus making the Class S730 trains one of the very few bi-mode electric / diesel passenger trains in use in the world.

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Aug 5th 2013 at 7:44 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:33 pm
On the road again.

<snip quoted post out>

ok apologies, it wasn't meant to offend so I have deleted anyway.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 6th 2013 at 6:39 am. Reason: Tidying up. All good now.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 6:34 am

DD. I too have asked for my posting, which quoted you, to be removed or edited so that does not show. I am now in the hands of the Moderators as i cannot edit or remove the posting myself for some reason.
Thank you for the removal of the posting. I appreciate it.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:19 am
On the road again.

DD. I too have asked for my posting, which quoted you, to be removed or edited so that does not show. I am now in the hands of the Moderators as i cannot edit or remove the posting myself for some reason.
Thank you for the removal of the posting. I appreciate it.
Fine, obviously I should have worded it better, but my point is possibly much the same as yours.

Surely with a Diesel loco at one end and Electric at the other, it is going to involve a much more complex control system than with standard matched power units.

Wether or not this makes the drivers job more difficult, either with controlling the train itself or monitoring two entirely different power units, I haven't a clue, but it did cross my mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.