Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Trailers in Galicia

Trailers in Galicia

Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

soontobeingalicia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailers in Galicia

Hi me and my family are slowly moving out to Galicia which will entail using my own trailer to move most of our stuff out. First trip (via ferry from Plymouth to Santander) will be this Sept, are there any rules and regulations that I need to know about using my trailer in Galicia? I plan to keep the trailer when we do live there I heard it has to be registered in its own right?? the trailer is a large twin axel box trailer around 15 years old, brought it from a farmer with no documentation any advise would be much appriciated.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trailers in Galicia

Originally Posted by soontobeingalicia
Hi me and my family are slowly moving out to Galicia which will entail using my own trailer to move most of our stuff out. First trip (via ferry from Plymouth to Santander) will be this Sept, are there any rules and regulations that I need to know about using my trailer in Galicia? I plan to keep the trailer when we do live there I heard it has to be registered in its own right?? the trailer is a large twin axel box trailer around 15 years old, brought it from a farmer with no documentation any advise would be much appriciated.
The trailer if over (I think) 500 kgs NW has to be ITV'd in its own right and have its own registration plate. Also your towing gear will need its own documentation / approval to get through the ITV .... mine needed paperwork which thankfully I had when I bought the 4 x 4
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There have been other threads on getting the paperwork for a trailer, I think it is quite difficult.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside make sure your breakdown cover for your car covers you for your trailer as well. We found out the the hard way about 4 weeks ago when our car broke down and the cover did not cover the trailer. This meant we were charged 250 euros to have the trailer towed back home to Viveiro.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:43 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
As an aside make sure your breakdown cover for your car covers you for your trailer as well. We found out the the hard way about 4 weeks ago when our car broke down and the cover did not cover the trailer. This meant we were charged 250 euros to have the trailer towed back home to Viveiro.
But if they go "legal" and have everything registered in Spain then this will be covered in your insurance. if you have a tow bar on your car it is included on your registration docs. When the insurance company sees this they will simply add cover for a trailer. Well that is what happened to us, even though we do not own a trailer. BTW The cost was the same.

To answer the OP: trailers over a certain size need to be registered. You will need paperwork etc. You cna see when a trailer is registerd you will have a red plate with a different number to the car on it. The rules are the same in Galicia as the rest of Spain.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your assistance, got the breakdown cover sorted and will get the trailer registered when I come over for good. Not long now subject to house sale going through will be over in Aug 09
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for your assistance, got the breakdown cover sorted and will get the trailer registered when I come over for good. Not long now subject to house sale going through will be over in Aug 09
Have a read HERE
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Just read the thread re trailers its so much more hassel than in the UK. Now thinking how much do I really need a trailer in Spain think once I have done what I need to do with it will sell it in the UK.

Thanks again you have saved me from ending up with a trailer that I could not use in Spain (I have no documents, no receipts etc)
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:52 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

..... its so much more hassel than in the UK. .......
You will find the same with registering your vehicle too.. But at least you will have the documentation for that.
Seeing the size of the trailer I just hope you do not have a RHD commercial vehicle as it will be impossible to register. 4WD will be ok.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 10:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Just read the thread re trailers its so much more hassel than in the UK. Now thinking how much do I really need a trailer in Spain think once I have done what I need to do with it will sell it in the UK.

Thanks again you have saved me from ending up with a trailer that I could not use in Spain (I have no documents, no receipts etc)
No problem, that is why you don`t see a lot of local trailers or caravans here. ;-))
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:19 am
Just Joined

No its just a run of the mill 4 x 4. Thanks again
Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
You will find the same with registering your vehicle too.. But at least you will have the documentation for that.
Seeing the size of the trailer I just hope you do not have a RHD commercial vehicle as it will be impossible to register. 4WD will be ok.
Many people have problems registering japanese grey imports which have the short VIN numbers and also some Defenders and Discovery`s ,especially if they dont have the euro type approval numbers on the VIN tag.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:22 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Many people have problems registering japanese grey imports which have the short VIN numbers and also some Defenders and Discovery`s ,especially if they dont have the euro type approval numbers on the VIN tag.
Had absolutely no problem with my Japanese Grey import
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Had absolutely no problem with my Japanese Grey import

That is the beauty of Spain, one “funtionario” (sp?) does one thing and another does something different.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
That is the beauty of Spain, one “funtionario” (sp?) does one thing and another does something different.
Exactly ,so is it worth bringing a grey import over over? I think not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.