Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Town Hall in Torremolinos

Town Hall in Torremolinos

Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

sanrod will become famous soon enoughsanrod will become famous soon enough
Default Town Hall in Torremolinos

Hi all. We have to go to Torremolinos Town Hall to get passes for the swimming pool in Torremolinos. Can anyone tell us if we are likely to come across any English Speakers in there that can help us, as we are very limited at the moment with our spanish language. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:41 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Town Hall in Torremolinos

Originally Posted by sanrod
Hi all. We have to go to Torremolinos Town Hall to get passes for the swimming pool in Torremolinos. Can anyone tell us if we are likely to come across any English Speakers in there that can help us, as we are very limited at the moment with our spanish language. Thanks.
I would imagine so, Torremolinos has its fair share of Brits - that said I had to go to Torremolinos Hospital with my son the other day and I couldnt find a soul who could speak english - altho we got thru it !!!!!!!? I thought hospitals had translators!????

. My attitude is that there are more ways of communicating than speaking. So take a picture or a dictionary with you

Jo xxxx
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:30 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
I would imagine so, Torremolinos has its fair share of Brits - that said I had to go to Torremolinos Hospital with my son the other day and I couldnt find a soul who could speak english - altho we got thru it !!!!!!!? I thought hospitals had translators!????

. My attitude is that there are more ways of communicating than speaking. So take a picture or a dictionary with you

Jo xxxx
Having started a volunteer translator service about 15 years ago, and at one time with five police stations covered. I am just about certain that most translator services available generally at police stations, medical centres hospitals etc are staffed and run by volunteers.

At the courts they have, or at least should have, professional interpreters, but I have been told of cases where there were none.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
Having started a volunteer translator service about 15 years ago, and at one time with five police stations covered. I am just about certain that most translator services available generally at police stations, medical centres hospitals etc are staffed and run by volunteers.

At the courts they have, or at least should have, professional interpreters, but I have been told of cases where there were none.
A lot of them are only on at certain hours though, perhaps jo went at the wrong time ;-)
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jo xxxx
I agree, I had to got to the Medical Centre here last week and managed OK, I wrote down the important things in Spanish and gave it to the doctor and she was so happy, she said it was perfect.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

I can't say I have ever heard of Torremolinos Hospital, maybe the poster meant the health centre.

However, that said, maybe there are some people out there who would like to set up a volunteer translator group at their hospital, medical centre, police station etc.

Whilst it is very important that translators assisting with medical matters should have a good level of Spanish, working with the police is not so demanding.

Last edited by johncar61; Feb 2nd 2010 at 3:20 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie30
I agree, I had to got to the Medical Centre here last week and managed OK, I wrote down the important things in Spanish and gave it to the doctor and she was so happy, she said it was perfect.
you didn't draw a picture did you
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you didn't draw a picture did you
Ah no! She was pretty impressed with what I wrote down, (I have google translate to thank for that) I had to make sure she knew all the antibiotics I am allergic to, as I didn't really feel like spending time in hospital again!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:31 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I have ever heard of Torremolinos Hospital, maybe the poster meant the health centre.

However, that said, maybe there are some people out there who would like to set up a volunteer translator group at their hospital, medical centre, police station etc.

Whilst it is very important that translators assisting with medical matters should have a good level of Spanish, working with the police is not so demanding.

Its the main orthopedic hospital in Torremolinos "The Maritimo" one road up from the seafront at the Los Alomas end. No translators at all, in fact the consultant was very angry that I hadnt brought one with me, so I had to phone a bilingual friend and he spoke to her

Jo xxx
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:52 pm
Banned

Its the main orthopaedic hospital in Torremolinos "The Maritimo" one road up from the seafront at the Los Alamos end. No translators at all, in fact the consultant was very angry that I hadn't brought one with me, so I had to phone a bilingual friend and he spoke to her

Jo xxx

OK here's the challenge, who will set up a volunteer translator group at the Maritimo Hosp, Los Alamos, Torremolinos, to help people like Jo ?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:54 pm
Banned

OK here's the challenge, who will set up a volunteer translator group at the Maritimo Hosp, Los Alamos, Torremolinos, to help people like Jo ?
......... before the 16th Feb when I have to return for my sons results LOL!!!!! ( seriously tho, I'm taking a friends daughter who's bilingual lol)

Jo xxxx
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:55 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not the people who are and have been doing it for a living for a long time to put food on tables and pay the rent!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Certainly not the people who are and have been doing it for a living for a long time to put food on tables and pay the rent!

Do you not think that apart from being able to help and meet new people it could be a way of getting new business, especially if you're good!!??????

Jo xxx
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:00 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not think that apart from being able to help and meet new people it could be a way of getting new business, especially if you're good!!??????

Jo xxx
How is it business new or old if it's "volunteer" work?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Madridboy
How is it business new or old if it's "volunteer" work?
Its kinda networking. You get chatting to the patient, give them a business card, show them how useful and helpful you are and then they think of you when they need a translator again. My friends daughter does just that - altho she's doing it for me next week for a macdonalds, cos she's only 15 and she's a friend. But she makes quite a bit of pocket money translating for people

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.