Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tough Times For The Spanish As Well.

Tough Times For The Spanish As Well.

Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tough Times For The Spanish As Well.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There was a similar report in Sur a few weeks ago. One family of seven were surviving on the Grandmother's pension of 358 euro. Only other help was free bags of rice etc. from the local church.

Of course there are many spanish who are doing ok. those in public sector jobs for example but, there are more that are struggling.
My OH is a funcionario and has been in the same job for 20+ years. However, his nomina was nearly two weeks late last month and he is still waiting for this month's. So even the funcionarios are affected!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:37 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
My OH is a funcionario and has been in the same job for 20+ years. However, his nomina was nearly two weeks late last month and he is still waiting for this month's. So even the funcionarios are affected!
absolutely

I know a 'duty lawyer' - not in private practice

he wasn't paid for about 3 months towards the end of last year - he eventually got it all in one payment at the end of Dec
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnxa
absolutely

I know a 'duty lawyer' - not in private practice

he wasn't paid for about 3 months towards the end of last year - he eventually got it all in one payment at the end of Dec
Even though OH hasn't been paid yet, he is quite relaxed about it. Like you say, he knows the money will arrive eventually....it's just when.

However, his place of work received 150,000 euros less in their budget for this year and OH thinks that the only way to get to the end of the year will be to make people redundant. They are all funcionarios with umpteen years in the job.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
So where there no jobs locally? Did they have to leave family behind ?

If my hubby lost his job...we'd have to leave Asturias (or me work full-time teaching English). Can happen..but I hope it doesn't.

Shaky times..
They couldnt find jobs locally (Malaga area), one worked in insurance, the other in a hotel.

They are both single and in late 20s so luckily can move around quite easily.

It is well known in Spain even in good times that it will take you a year at least to find a new job, especially if it is a skilled or a professional job you are looking for.

Interestingly I read (and heard) that Spanish families are saving an incredible 24% of their monthly take home pay because they are so worried about losing their job. This is the highest ever recorded rate. In contrast British families are saving 1% of their takehome pay, the lowest ever recorded rate.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:44 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Interestingly I read (and heard) that Spanish families are saving an incredible 24% of their monthly take home pay because they are so worried about losing their job. This is the highest ever recorded rate. In contrast British families are saving 1% of their takehome pay, the lowest ever recorded rate.

Thats the ones who have any take home pay. Brits don't have to save if they don't want to, unemployment going down and if not there is something that spaniards don't have....a benefit system
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats the ones who have any take home pay. Brits don't have to save if they don't want to, unemployment going down and if not there is something that spaniards don't have....a benefit system
I keep seeing people saying that there is no benefits system in Spain, but I thought that the system was quite generous.

I know that if you are autonomo you get nothing, but isn't that the same in the UK?

A chap I know worked in construcion and lost his job. He now gets nearly 1100 euros per month paro. It will run out after about 12 months and then goes down to about 420 euros a month.

I know in the UK the unemployment benefit doesn't have an expiry date like it does in Spain, but as far as I am aware you get much less in the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

That sums up how much you know about Spain, absolutely nothing!

As Veleta says, Spain has a benefit system which is at times very generous. It's just different to the British one.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

That sums up how much you know about Spain, absolutely nothing!

As Veleta says, Spain has a benefit system which is at times very generous. It's just different to the British one.
was gonna say.. dont sound right.

i know im not entitled to anything, even tho i paid nearly a year etc etc. it only applies if you are contracted?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I keep seeing people saying that there is no benefits system in Spain, but I thought that the system was quite generous.

I know that if you are autonomo you get nothing, but isn't that the same in the UK?

A chap I know worked in construcion and lost his job. He now gets nearly 1100 euros per month paro. It will run out after about 12 months and then goes down to about 420 euros a month.

I know in the UK the unemployment benefit doesn't have an expiry date like it does in Spain, but as far as I am aware you get much less in the UK.
Ive never had the misfortune to have to use the UK system but as far as Im aware you can get housing benifit, family allowance, job seekers, tax credits etc when your unemployed / selfemployed , plus the monthly payment is only 10,00 pounds!!!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
was gonna say.. dont sound right.

i know im not entitled to anything, even tho i paid nearly a year etc etc. it only applies if you are contracted?
It is illegal to work without a contract unless you are self-employed. You can have two 6 month contracts before your employer has to give you an indefinite contract.

If you had two 6 month contracts you will be eligable for benefits for a few months. If you didnt have a contract you were working illegally and are not eligable for anything
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

It is illegal to work without a contract unless you are self-employed. You can have two 6 month contracts before your employer has to give you an indefinite contract.

If you had two 6 month contracts you will be eligable for benefits for a few months. If you didnt have a contract you were working illegally and are not eligable for anything
i was working with a gib contract. this was accepted by the AAET (seguridad social).
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rotor
Ive never had the misfortune to have to use the UK system but as far as Im aware you can get housing benifit, family allowance, job seekers, tax credits etc when your unemployed / selfemployed , plus the monthly payment is only 10,00 pounds!!!
Only if you have no assets i.e. no savings and no mortgage or property.

If you have more than £10k savings in the Uk you cant get any benefits
If you have a mortgage or own home in the UK you cant get housing benefit

Which means if I lost my job in the UK I would get nothing. If I lost my job in Spain I would get 1k a month for a year (up to 2 years, if I build up my contributions). Much more generous!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
i was working with a gib contract. this was accepted by the AAET (seguridad social).
Who knows then, Gib isnt even in Spain! Maybe you should be asking for benefits from them?

More seriously, you need to get down to your local social security office and ask. If you've paid 12 months contributions in Spain then you can claim benefits.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:38 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I know what you mean...most Brits don't have the mindset to save because they know if they lost their job, they can claim benefits (albeit a pittance and nothing like your take home pay).

Plus often if we lose our job,,there a good chance we'll find another one quick.

In Spain, the Spanish know that getting another job is not going to be easy so they need savings to tied them over.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:41 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Only if you have no assets i.e. no savings and no mortgage or property.

If you have more than £10k savings in the Uk you cant get any benefits
If you have a mortgage or own home in the UK you cant get housing benefit

Which means if I lost my job in the UK I would get nothing. If I lost my job in Spain I would get 1k a month for a year (up to 2 years, if I build up my contributions). Much more generous!
The UK benefit system discourages some people from buying their own home and having savings..

...in your case, WHAT IF...you were in your 50s ? Not much of a chance of finding another job...(I know you're young and employable now) but what happens after 2 years?

This is how it is for some middle aged Spanish/Brits..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.