Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Totally confused.

Totally confused.

Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Deezie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Totally confused.

Hi guys, we have taken everything on board and pulled out of the purchase. How can we protect ourselves from this scenario again? What do we need to ask for at the viewing stage, as this is two months into the purchase that this has come to light. As stated our preference and budget is a place in the hills , we need a garden for our 4 dogs so town houses are out, can anyone recommend a good estate agent in costa blanca north? Thank you.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deezie
Hi guys, we have taken everything on board and pulled out of the purchase. How can we protect ourselves from this scenario again? What do we need to ask for at the viewing stage, as this is two months into the purchase that this has come to light. As stated our preference and budget is a place in the hills , we need a garden for our 4 dogs so town houses are out, can anyone recommend a good estate agent in costa blanca north? Thank you.
You`ve made a sensible decision ,"Good" estate agents dont seem to exist if you are a buyer , what is important is to get a good lawyer , there are plenty of bad and lazy ones in Spain, also be aware that a local lawyer may well be related to the vendor so ask him/her outright if there is any conflict of interest , ideally in writing , dont be timid, and of course never use a lawyer the estate agent recommends, some agents will even tell you a lawyer is not needed , absolute rubbish if you want peace of mind.
I`m sure there is a list of basic requirements for houses on here somewhere.
Good Luck.

PS My personal choice is old campo houses in need of modernisation , quiet often theyve been there longer than anyone living , usually (not always) paperwork is in order or easy to rectify .
An escritura (deeds) stating a residence and its size is essential.

Last edited by Rotor; Feb 12th 2017 at 10:36 am.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Totally confused.

Originally Posted by Deezie
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and wondered if you wonderful peeps can put my mind at rest, or not, as I am totally confused as to what to do with a house purchase in Spain.
We live in France and have just sold our house here, we have found a property in Spain that we have been to see and fallen in love with it. It is a rustic property just outside Beniganim, Valencia, in an area called Pla Dels Cunills, we have been told it hasn't got a certificate of habitation, but has a no town planning infraction certificate, which we do not understand, we have also been told it is in a place that does not allow houses to be built but it has been there since 1980 and been lived in and sold on. All taxes are paid to the town council. We have a lawyer working for us and he has told us it is "Fuera De Ordenacion"???
He has advised us to proceed with caution but cannot get out of him why he has said this, we have asked him if we should or should not proceed but he will not give us an answer. There are a lot of houses around us, we assume they are in the same situation. Was wondering if anybody had bought a property in this situation and encountered any problems, or what the pit falls may be if we buy.
Thank you in advance.
Many properties are illegal but people still buy them. I personally waited more than a year to get the paperwork correct for our village house before we parted with any money. It is a risk and for me one not worth taking. Sorry but the best thing to do is look for another house.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Many properties are illegal but people still buy them. I personally waited more than a year to get the paperwork correct for our village house before we parted with any money. It is a risk and for me one not worth taking. Sorry but the best thing to do is look for another house.
Smart move , making an offer subject to paper work being correct can some times can be a way of getting things legalised quicker , but sometimes its just not possible at all , like you said/did NEVER PART WITH MONEY until everything is in order.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteffiA
Good morning,
If you need legal information on your particular case....blah blah blah
do you serve chips with your spam ?