Tomatoes

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:43 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute
Question Tomatoes

We have a glut of tomatoes, far too many to eat. Does anyone know how to sun dry them or have any ideas about what I can do with them, apart from chutney?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:54 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tomatoes

Originally Posted by jjh
We have a glut of tomatoes, far too many to eat. Does anyone know how to sun dry them or have any ideas about what I can do with them, apart from chutney?

Many thanks.
Scroll to bottom of page Fight
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:05 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Scroll to bottom of page Fight

I don't think my neighbours would appreciate that. Anyway, the tomatoes are not that ripe at the moment.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

We make litres and litres of gazpacho.

You can also liquidise them put it in the freezer then use it in cooking instead of 'tomate frito'.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 5:01 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
We make litres and litres of gazpacho.

You can also liquidise them put it in the freezer then use it in cooking instead of 'tomate frito'.

Thanks Beachcomber. I know this might be a bit dumb of me, but do you have to cook them before liquidising them? Gazpacho - sounds good to me.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Neelam is an unknown quantity at this point

Cook them, here is a recipee for chicken curry:

Step 1. 2 medium size Onions, shallow fry them until mid brown, add 2 chopped cloves garlic, half teaspoon of ginger,then fry for about 3-4 mins add about 3 medium size tomatoes fry for about 5-mins low heat

Step 2. add one tablespoon curry power (madras curry powder), one tablespoon of Paprika, about five pieces of cloves, half tabespoon coriander seeds and cumin seeds and cinnomen sticks. Add SALT If possible add some bay leaves. Low heat fry/boil on gas for about 8 mins

Step 3. Add the chicken (one whole chicken chopped into pieces), cover the chicken in the mixture and place lid on the pan - if wanted, add half pot of plain natural yoghurt, but dont do this until the chicken is half cooked. leave with lid on top of pan to cook - should take no more then about 15 mins.

Step 4. Boil some Basmati rice with salt. Usually need a bit more water then long grain/non basmati rice. boil until cooked completly. Rice rice with curry on top - ENJOY!!

This recipe can be used for any type of meat and veg. For biriyani dishes, Yoghurt added is a must and so is SAFFRON (easy to obtain in Spain!). Then layer the rice and chicken curry in one pot. fry one onion until they are black burned, sprinkle on top, add some red food colour to sprinkle on top with the onions = Biriyani.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:42 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jjh

Many thanks.
Sun Dried.
Ermm leave them out in the sun
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

No, I don't cook them before liquidising them.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I have just made 10 jars of spicey chutney which is gorgeous. Also try a ratatouie (definitely wrong spelling) also sea bass fried with tomatoes and chillis. Yummee
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:45 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
I have just made 10 jars of spicey chutney which is gorgeous. Also try a ratatouie (definitely wrong spelling) also sea bass fried with tomatoes and chillis. Yummee
Spot on spelling glynis
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:21 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. And still they ripen.

Next year it's definately only two or three plants as there's only two of us.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

you dont need to cook them before freezing, although perhaps peeling them might be a good idea if you want to make tomato frito? peel them, blend them up, put in small tubs or bags and throw them in the freezer ?

are you near alhaurin? i´ll buy them off you? whats the price 1€ / kilo? thats all they are in the market...

if you have an excess why not go to the nearest "farmers market" and sell them there ?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
Thanks everyone. And still they ripen.

Next year it's definately only two or three plants as there's only two of us.
I had 4 plants, but was given several cherrry tom plants by a Spanish neighbour whenb they went of on holiday, they are now getting a load of ripe fruit, and my 4 plants have just about finished, but I've got another 3 plants about 4" high, hoping for some late ones. Have given several lots away, and haven't bought any for weeks. Mind you with some of them weighing 3/4 lb I don't need many for a salad.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Amara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really niceAmara is just really nice

Sundried - remove seeds - cook overnight on a baking tray in the oven (lowest possible heat) - then leave baking tray outside in the sun for about two days (bring in at night though ) They are lovely