Tom Sharpe

Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tom Sharpe

Not normally one to eulogise in the passing of folk but felt urged to say I was fortunate one day to bump into the man in Llafranc in 2003 and spend a couple of hours sharing a bottle of wine with him...An absolute gentleman.....And a wonderful satirist...
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:47 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tom Sharpe

His books "Indecent Exposure" and "Riotious Assembly" are the two most hilarious books I have ever read.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more. His earliest books used to have me in stitches.
Long time since I last read any of them.
Which was the one where he buried that blow up doll ?
That was the funniest of all for me.
R.I.P.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:28 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Couldn't agree more. His earliest books used to have me in stitches.
Long time since I last read any of them.
Which was the one where he buried that blow up doll ?
That was the funniest of all for me.
R.I.P.
Wilt.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I was in South Africa - of all places - when Riotous Assembly and Indecent exposure came out. Both available there. Oddly. Tom Sharpe enjoyed his jokes about buggery, rubber and what the South Africans in those days (1975) called 'mysogeny'. I had just arrived by steamer, and the customs had confiscated my copy of 'Gone With the Wind', so was expecting the place to be peculiar.
I don't think Tom Sharpe ever hit the heights of comedy as well after those two books. Marvelous stuff!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:33 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker
Wilt.
Was that the one with the lemon loungers? A phrase me and OH still use today
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jjh
Was that the one with the lemon loungers? A phrase me and OH still use today
Yep.

‘Oh Eva, darling,’ she murmured, ‘you’re so adorably down to earth. No, I’m not taking you back to Parkview Avenue. You’re coming home with me for a drink and lunch. I’m simply dying to see you in those lemon loungers.’

Old Jun 9th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

He was a college lecturer at one time. I was also attended technical college on the 70's and his tales of the students and classes was spot on!
My favourite phrase was from wilt "this is where you get it!" as he was trying to deflate the doll with some old dear watching on,