Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

Here's a site with an excellent overview of driving in Spain.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:10 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Im getting a good hair cut before i leave, then im sure ill have found some hair dressors out there when im ready for next cut in 3 months time
If in doubt get some clippers and do your own

But im sure barbers are just as good lol.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about
Arrow Re: Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

ADSL Availability

Here's an ADSL checker (if you know a 'phone number at or close to the property you want to check).

You can also compare the various ADSL offerings.

This list of ADSL2+ enabled exchanges (up to 24Mbps in ideal circumstances) shows there is good coverage along the coast; Málaga, Cádiz, Alicante and elsewhere.

This 2007 review gives a good comparison of claimed maximum speeds versus experience across the country, highlighting the best and worst regions and operators.

The report indicates that Andalusia, Aragón and Extremadura are offering a good service that is rapidly improving because of excellent infrastrucure.
If you make use of this information and it proves reliable (or unreliable) please post a reply with your experience.

Last edited by IntuitiveNipple; Apr 3rd 2007 at 5:21 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Int'Nipple
Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

Domestic Electricity Supply

I've found information that, unlike in the U.K., the standing-charge in supply contracts to householders is based on a prediction of the average power consumption, and that the common potencias are 3,3kW (kilo-Watts), 5,5kW and 8,8kW.

If the household demand temporarily exceeds these limits then you are liable to having the supply temporarily cut-out until the demand drops. It is said to be expensive to switch between potencias.

In the U.K. we commonly describe the supply as 13 Amps (~3.1kW per ring circuit) of which there may often be several as well as high-current (30A-45A ~ 7,2kW-10,8kW) spurs for electric showers and electric ovens and hobs.

This being the case what potencias are you using, what devices do you typically use, and what are your experiences of this system ?

Last edited by IntuitiveNipple; Apr 3rd 2007 at 5:25 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Lightbulb Re: Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

Finding rental apartments

If you're looking for apartments to rent in any region of Spain you should give segundamano a try. It is a classified-advertising service that covers almost everything you could want and has a strong real-estate (Inmobiliaria) section.

Here's a link to a search for rental apartments in Málaga city centre (Pisos y apartamentos - Alquiler)
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Car Insurance?

How does car insurance operate in Spain? Is it the same as the U.K. with Third Party, Third Party Fire & Theft, Fully Comprehensive, No-Claims Discounts, Excess and so forth?

Who is covered? (Named driver/Any driver/Drivers over 25)

What is the youngest age?

Can anyone give some examples of the rates charged for specimen cars?

Can N.C.D. be transferred from car insurance policies in the U.K. ?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple
Car Insurance?

How does car insurance operate in Spain? Is it the same as the U.K. with Third Party, Third Party Fire & Theft, Fully Comprehensive, No-Claims Discounts, Excess and so forth?

You didnt get that book did you
As an example, Direct Line are called Lineas Direct (spelling?) in spain, If memory serves me right you can even speak to an english speaking spanish member of staff, or you could. HAve you tried asking an english company like direct line if they know?
sorry if that isnt the reply you expected but its a start.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

The car is insured, any driver with a licence but usually have to be 30 or sometimes they can add excess for family members below 30.

4x4 10 years old fully comp inc breakdown 400 €

Yes, with proof from old company
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Which company is that please jdr?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
You didnt get that book did you
I've not, no, but I intend to. One thing at a time - I'm focusing on the language right now

The question occurred to me earlier as another of those assumptions that may be wrong so I just fired it off before I forgot it
Originally Posted by jdr
The car is insured, any driver with a licence but usually have to be 30 or sometimes they can add excess for family members below 30.
Thanks jdr, that is a great overview, just what I needed
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Which company is that please jdr?
Sorry no website, but email jeff.fieldhouse @knight-insurance.com take out the space before @
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry no website, but email jeff.fieldhouse @knight-insurance.com take out the space before @
Nice one jdr.
A snippet for my own relocation planning file.
Thank you.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

JR76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Ive been reading this thread and its making me laugh a lot. We left the UK four and a half years ago my wife and i both worked for bt in the upper network management and design areas we are as geeky as it comes we follow tech stuff have tech stuff other than our children thats were our money goes i have 500 plus dvds all ripped on my htpc which is connected to my plasma and projector. But this means nothing. In the uk i had my msce ccna cne im a lucent and acisco design project and recovery manager but out side of the uk it means very little unless i go to the states which is a horrid place. the best thing you can do with that 3g phone is throw it away the networks out here are sparce to say the least and it fare from impressive having a pc in a car if you had a db7 now that would be cool. and i would like a go in it. outside of the uk technology is approched in a some what different way.

That aside good luck on the adventure ahead of you its such an eyeopener.
Hello Ka,

I don't mean to jump in on your conversation, but if you could tell me more about your experience, I'd really like to know.

I do the same work in the US and am wanting to GET OUT, just like the OP of the thread. (don't hold it against me - I went on this forum since there are relatively few American Expats in the world, let alone Spain). The life work / balance is absolutely terrible here and socially things are getting stranger by the day. I don't really think I'd like to (when I get to it) eventually raise a family under these unhealthy conditions.

Note: I'm also an Italian Citizen, so there should be not issues with work permits, etc.

What I really want to know what you know about employment - How IT/Network jobs are like there, how hard it is to find a job, how much language matters in it, and especially in terms of pay (which seems atrocious, even compared to our weak dollar, at first glance). I worked in the UK before and it wasn't so different that I couldn't easily adapt, but it sounds rather different in Spain, based on your post.

I've got a sizable amount of experience (over 10 years) and don't want to just toss it all in the wind, if I don't have to.

Also, IntuitiveNipple - I have to ask why you haven't asked much of the same questions (job-related)?

To me, my job is the bottom line to survival, and without addressing it, you could end up living in a wonderful country, but in poverty, sort of ruining the experience.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by JR76
Hello Ka,

I don't mean to jump in on your conversation, but if you could tell me more about your experience, I'd really like to know.

I do the same work in the US and am wanting to GET OUT, just like the OP of the thread. (don't hold it against me - I went on this forum since there are relatively few American Expats in the world, let alone Spain). The life work / balance is absolutely terrible here and socially things are getting stranger by the day. I don't really think I'd like to (when I get to it) eventually raise a family under these unhealthy conditions.

Note: I'm also an Italian Citizen, so there should be not issues with work permits, etc.

What I really want to know what you know about employment - How IT/Network jobs are like there, how hard it is to find a job, how much language matters in it, and especially in terms of pay (which seems atrocious, even compared to our weak dollar, at first glance). I worked in the UK before and it wasn't so different that I couldn't easily adapt, but it sounds rather different in Spain, based on your post.

I've got a sizable amount of experience (over 10 years) and don't want to just toss it all in the wind, if I don't have to.

Also, IntuitiveNipple - I have to ask why you haven't asked much of the same questions (job-related)?

To me, my job is the bottom line to survival, and without addressing it, you could end up living in a wonderful country, but in poverty, sort of ruining the experience.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Sorry but you may struggle here, this post is 3 months old and neither of the posters referred to has been about lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.