Reload this Page >

Tips to moving to spain

Tips to moving to spain

Old Jan 16th 2020, 9:42 am
Just Joined

lukehousehunting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tips to moving to spain

Originally Posted by Aaronjug
We are looking at moving to Spain this year and was wondering what tips would you give. Possibly looking at around Valencia area or a bit lower
Hi Aaron, Valencia is certainly a beautiful city. There are also some great towns just south of Valencia like Denia, Javea, Calpe, Altea. I think it really depends on what kind of lifestyle you prefer to live. What are the most important things you are looking for in the area you live for you and your family? Some people prefer quieter areas and some like more city life.

There are more school options in Valencia, but also a couple of good international schools in the Javea area.

If you are able to work from home, then living in Spain is a lot easier especially if you dont speak Spanish. At least to start off with

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks,
Luke

Old Jan 16th 2020, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Aaronjug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Opinion
I split my time between the UK and Valencia city. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.
Ok thanks. Yes my wife would be splitting between UK and Spain. Probably once a month going back to UK for her business
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

What's it like for work out there ie engineering firms and just any jobs is there a place to have a look for jobs?
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks. Yes my wife would be splitting between UK and Spain. Probably once a month going back to UK for her business
I'm in the same boat- multiple businesses back home. I generally spend 2-3 weeks in Spain, then back to the UK for 1 week, then 2-3 in Spain and so on. Flights are cheap enough that it isn't an issue.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

What's it like for work out there ie engineering firms and just any jobs is there a place to have a look for jobs?
https://www.glassdoor.es/Empleo/vale..._IC2639089.htm
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

She should seriously research her employment status, and therefore healthcare coverage. Maybe it's different in Spain, but in France you have to set up a French business structure if you're working from home for a foreign company, or arrange to be a "posted" or "cross-border" employee. The healthcare régimes are different for each status.
HTH
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
She should seriously research her employment status, and therefore healthcare coverage. Maybe it's different in Spain, but in France you have to set up a French business structure if you're working from home for a foreign company, or arrange to be a "posted" or "cross-border" employee. The healthcare régimes are different for each status.
HTH
Yes and it's not only that. Many people don't know that you have to declare everything.
https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.c...home-in-spain/
Unless the EU puts a stop to it, or unless you have at least €1m in liquid assets that open up investment strategies to avoid it, the Spanish ‘Worldwide Asset Declaration Form’, known locally as ‘Modelo 720’, is a serious problem for Spanish-resident expats with offshore assets worth €50,000 or more that have to be declared to the Spanish tax authorities in a process that is fraught with risks and ruinous penalties.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

I'm in the same boat- multiple businesses back home. I generally spend 2-3 weeks in Spain, then back to the UK for 1 week, then 2-3 in Spain and so on. Flights are cheap enough that it isn't an issue.
Where do you fly from and how much is a single flight and what flight app? Sorry for the questions!
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you fly from and how much is a single flight and what flight app? Sorry for the questions!
I fly STN to VLC. I can get a single for 10 quid, depending on the day, and don't think I've paid more than 40 quid for a return.

Edit: Skyscanner, the website is better than the app.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

I fly STN to VLC. I can get a single for 10 quid, depending on the day, and don't think I've paid more than 40 quid for a return.

Edit: Skyscanner, the website is better than the app.
Jesus that's good. Wife would want to go Leeds Bradford as it's near her work and family
Old Jan 16th 2020, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jesus that's good. Wife would want to go Leeds Bradford as it's near her work and family
Had a quick look, Leeds Bradford is a fair bit more expensive.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

You need to spend longer than a weekend to look at things.

Its good your not selling up in the UK, don't burn your bridges.

If you can fly to and from the London airports and are totally flexible on dates then yes you can still get the dirt cheap flights sometimes. Move out to more regional airports like Leeds or in my case Cardiff/Bristol and the prices shoot up. If I were the OP I'd budget £200 a month for flights and if the flights cost less its a bonus.

Some here will know the typical costs of sending children to International Schools but IIRC for two children you need to budget around £1200+ so School and flights are about £1400 a month. You could look at using state Schools but your children will be held back because they don't speak the language and you won't be able to support them with homework because you don't speak the language so not really a viable option IMO.

Cost of living overall is not much different from the UK, some stuff cheaper, other stuff more expensive.

You need to sit down and work on a realistic budget, make it a brutal worse case scenario forecast, don't be under the illusion prices in Spain are way cheaper than the UK.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that information. We are going out for 2 weeks in kids holiday in may to suss out the areas and schools. We are looking at the cost of things now. My wife will go back to UK about once a month so will not be as expensive
Old Jan 17th 2020, 9:30 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot choose which schools your children go to. There are no public gradings of schools. The Spanish education system is generally poor when compared with state educations systems in other countries.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that information. We are going out for 2 weeks in kids holiday in may to suss out the areas and schools. We are looking at the cost of things now. My wife will go back to UK about once a month so will not be as expensive
If you can live OK in the UK on the money you earn then you'll do much the same in Spain but bear in mind the cost of private education and that flight each month, your going to be £1200++ a month less in your Spanish budget so keep that in mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.