Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are the times still tough?

Are the times still tough?

Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the times still tough?

Originally Posted by JLFS
I personally know of a sucessful bussiness company A) that is going down the tubes through no fault of their own and it is not an unheard of situation, but they are being very badly affected.

It is a smallish bussiness with a dozen or so employees, they have always paid staff, bills ect and have had no problem....EVER..

What is happening is that their major supplier (much bigger concern, company B) owes a huge amount to Hacienda and SS.

So now company A has been instructed by the powers that be that they are not to pay for any goods received from company B, instead they are to pay the factura into the bank, to pay off the debts to the government.

Of course company B cannot keep supplying them with goods if they are not getting any money in. So when they deliver an order, half of it is missing and of course company A is suffering too, as they need the goods to be able to trade.

They have found other suppliers but it is not ideal, and standards are dropping.

Company A have spoken to the "administrators" to explain the situation, but it has fallen on deaf ears. the fact that they were told that this method could eventually cost tham a good business and put at least 14 on the dole, was of little relevance, they were told.
Soon they will have to get rid of staff due to less work.

Things are still tough in Spain, but if a little common sence was used by the powers that be, then I am sure it would recover sooner.

If they tried to work with people as individuals to solve problems, instead of closing ranks, solutions could be found and the future brighter for a lot of people.

Incredable, f...ing civil servants dictating about something they have no understanding of and costing an inocent businessman his business ,I despise the scum, they dont work in the interests of anyone but themselves .
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:42 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish that they had a different title because they are rarely civil. I went to the local tax office when I first moved here and presented them with the dual-language forms, completed in all aspects, so that my taxes could be paid in Spain. The lady (I use the term lady to denote gender rather than any gentility of upbringing) sceamed at me, ripped up the forms, threw the remains in my face and told me not to waste her time as the tax I would pay wasn't worth her trouble. Their loss.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

So just between me and you.........................

ARE YOU A SOPRANO?
It was only some trapped nerves that were being cut, or re-aligned in my wrist and elbow. The problem was, briefly, that I have two of each, and then couldn't think of the word for elbow for a few, terrifying seconds.

Another imagined problem was that my left side, facing the busy surgeon, would be on his right.

If he had started to interfere with any voice changing parts further south, I would have known because I was only partially anesthetized. I couldn't see because of a screen, but I know what malo and corto means and they used the words too much for my liking. And the operation took place an hour before the Spain/Germany game and I thought I could smell whiskey on the surgeon's breath.

And the porter's, and anesthetist's. I must have imagined it.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:52 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It was only some trapped nerves that were being cut, or re-aligned in my wrist and elbow. The problem was, briefly, that I have two of each, and then couldn't think of the word for elbow for a few, terrifying seconds.

Another imagined problem was that my left side, facing the busy surgeon, would be on his right.

If he had started to interfere with any voice changing parts further south, I would have known because I was only partially anesthetized. I couldn't see because of a screen, but I know what malo and corto means and they used the words too much for my liking. And the operation took place an hour before the Spain/Germany game and I thought I could smell whiskey on the surgeon's breath.

And the porter's, and anesthetist's. I must have imagined it.
As long as it all went well thats good, and there is only room for one Sarah Brightman in the world anyway.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
I wish that they had a different title because they are rarely civil. I went to the local tax office when I first moved here and presented them with the dual-language forms, completed in all aspects, so that my taxes could be paid in Spain. The lady (I use the term lady to denote gender rather than any gentility of upbringing) sceamed at me, ripped up the forms, threw the remains in my face and told me not to waste her time as the tax I would pay wasn't worth her trouble. Their loss.

Uncivilised dictators is more appropiate ....come the revolution I`ll......
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:27 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Things are not looking too rosy, better watch your pockets, they´ll be looking to dip your expat pockets to replenish the coffers!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...s-go-bust.html
Things are even worse at home ! (link from same newspaper. £4 trillion of debt in public sector! )

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...den-debts.html

I get the feeling, wherever you are based, don't rely on getting a decent pension in the future if you're under 55 now, and try and keep some of your savings hidden, lest the government confiscate it.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Things are even worse at home ! .
Haven't read of anything similar to this yet! Have you heard of any?

More than 400 of the 8,000 councils across the country have stopped paying electricity, water and telephone bills, according to Spanish newspaper El Economista.

"I am deeply ashamed to know that I won't be able to pay our staff. They have got mortgages, children. What am I supposed to do?" said Jesus Manuel Ampero, mayor of Cenicientos, near Madrid. "We were not able to cover our payroll in June. Neither I nor our councillors have received anything for two years. I've had two heart attacks. My health is cracking. If we cannot solve this, I'm resigning."
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:34 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read of anything similar to this yet! Have you heard of any?
Well if that £4 trillion public debt figure is anyway near realistic (and it's from the same paper you originally quoted) I fear things are going to get a lot worse than most people realise - no point in trying to score points on nationality, all countries in the west will be in the sticky brown stuff. Like I say, I think it's good advice to all here to keep part of your savings hidden (whether you be in Andalucia or Andover) as governments, local and national, will be searching around for revenue. As for specific council cuts in the UK, you only have to google to get headlines like "xxx council to cut spending by £7 million this year", and the cuts haven't even really started yet!
Incidentally a thread the other week speculated that councils in Andalucia may now be keen to make illegal homes legal - so long as they paid for the "getting connected to services" part.... money talks as always. I don't know how British councils are going to increase their revenue as the new Govt has put a freeze on council tax. Could end up with a lot of councils similar to Liverpool in the 80s...
Old Jul 14th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Things are not looking too rosy, better watch your pockets, they´ll be looking to dip your expat pockets to replenish the coffers!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...s-go-bust.html

Why? when the report does not even mention ex-pats and actually says that the risk is only modest as it represents just 3% of Spains GDP?

However, the article does mention a report by RBS but I doubt anyone gives credence to a failed and deeply flawed organisation who failed to tell Britain it was in deep shit?

As for UK Councils I bet many if not all are busy hiding figures especially those who put tax payers money offshore in Iceland.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:29 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Why? when the report does not even mention ex-pats and actually says that the risk is only modest as it represents just 3% of Spains GDP?

However, the article does mention a report by RBS but I doubt anyone gives credence to a failed and deeply flawed organisation who failed to tell Britain it was in deep shit?

As for UK Councils I bet many if not all are busy hiding figures especially those who put tax payers money offshore in Iceland.
I'd be wary of trusting any organisation in any country, given the current circumstances. Got money in a credit union? Hmmmm

http://paulstott.typepad.com/i_inten....html#comments

This morning I received an (undated and unsigned) letter from the Hackney Credit Union, announcing that the Financial Services Authority has instructed HCU to stop all transactions with immediate effect.

"This means that the credit union is closed, and members cannot take any money out of their accounts and we cannot accept money in either, from today."
Time to invest in the "under-the-mattress" bed perhaps?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:10 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'd be wary of trusting any organisation in any country, given the current circumstances. Got money in a credit union? Hmmmm

http://paulstott.typepad.com/i_inten....html#comments

Time to invest in the "under-the-mattress" bed perhaps?

I dont think the that the "under-the-matress" is a good investmant plan at all. There are much better places to invest you money which are safe.

Have you not considered "theft", a good theif will look under the matress first.

I personally prefer to use the "in-an-old-unwashed-sportsock- in-an-old-sportsbag" method.

Also with your "investment plan" there is the danger of "in-house" theft (ie the wife)

With my plan, there is no danger as she would not go near the bag under any circumstance.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
W

Might well be, but that's supposition, the question was do you know of any councils that are not paying bills or not paying staff now? I don't, so do you? We can all guess what might or might not happen in the future, I'm talking about what is happening now.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I dont think the that the "under-the-matress" is a good investmant plan at all.
Certainly wasn't for this guy!
El alcalde de Alcaucín guardaba 160.000 euros en bolsas bajo un colchón de su casa. # Cuando fueron descubiertos el alcalde, detenido por presunta corrupción, dijo que "eran los ahorros de toda la vida". El dinero supuestamente fue hallado en uno de los registros efectuados por la Guardia Civil en el marco de la "operación Arcos".
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:35 am
Banned

Certainly wasn't for this guy!
El alcalde de Alcaucín guardaba 160.000 euros en bolsas bajo un colchón de su casa. # Cuando fueron descubiertos el alcalde, detenido por presunta corrupción, dijo que "eran los ahorros de toda la vida". El dinero supuestamente fue hallado en uno de los registros efectuados por la Guardia Civil en el marco de la "operación Arcos".

That is a nice little hear-warming story with a happy ending.......

I must admit, even my almost safe method of the dirty-sock-in-the-bag hiding place, would not have put these guys off.......
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:43 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When I get fed up reading what the economists predict, I speak to normal people around me. My taxi driver is worried, my bank manager isn't, my barber doesn't know what he's talking about, I avoid my local Spanish cafe because it's full of unemployed builders, the postman and dustmen are as cheerful as always, the checkout girls at Mercadona are smiling more than usual, my vet keeps putting the bills up, and the old Spanish guy at the end of the street still sings his Franco songs when he's pissed.

It's a mixed bag of predictions on the ground.

One of my local publicans from the UK has just moved over and bought a large villa. He went skint in his pub, but managed to sell the place to a group of local people just before the bailiffs moved in, it's now a Mosque.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.