Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TIME, Gentlemen, Please

TIME, Gentlemen, Please

Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please

Could you pse leave this thread alone and go off to the bar
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:59 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Sorry for breathing fresh air into a thread that was making grown men cry Jon!

I promise to be so boring when you get to Huescar your ponytail will be calling for a paramedic!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really nice
Talking Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please

Hi Mitzyboy,
In agreement with you, I find about 11 out of the previous postings to be by unthinking persons who have no regard for the opinions of others.
I regret that the silent (minority?) would find the following Malaga newspaper article, and my submitted comments to that paper, much more relevant than the remarks above. The previous postings are so bad - apart from debsyw´s legitimate response that I think they are ruinous to the reputation of a decent forum!

Here is the gory detail:

S U R in E n g l i s h THE NEWSPAPER FOR SOUTHERN SPAIN
MARCH 23rd to MARCH 29th 2007
(Health And Beauty Section).

Foreign residents put Malaga among areas with most cases of skin cancer in Europe
By Ignacio Lillio / Rosario Flores

Twenty five per cent of patients registered at Hospital Clínico for this type of tumour are foreign Their fair skin and lifestyle make them more at risk

Fair skin, blue eyes, blond hair.... this could describe many of the northern Europeans who have decided to make their home in the province of Malaga, many of them in search of the sunshine they lack in their countries of origin. However these ideal weather conditions people come searching for can take their toll, as many northern European skin types are not made to cope with Malaga’s long hot summers. The first symptom of days packed with long walks, gardening and rounds on the golf course is sunburn, although in the worst cases this can develop into the dreaded melanoma.

An Increase

Malaga is now one of the regions of Europe with the most cases of skin cancer, according to several experts, and one of the reasons for this recent increase in cases is the growing presence of residents from Scandinavia, Central Europe, Great Britain and Germany .

Norberto López, a doctor in the Dermatology Department at Malaga’s Hospital Clínico, has studied the incidence of basal cell carcinoma at the hospital between May 2005 and the same month in 2006. This is the type of malignant skin tumour that is most common in Malaga, accounting for 70 per cent of all cases.
A total of 174 patients were studied and more than 25 per cent of them were residents from northern Europe. “The incidence is gradually increasing, both because of the aging population and the intensive exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
The province of Malaga boasts the perfect climate for the development of carcinoma”, he explains.

The dermatologist goes on to point out that this type of tumour grows slowly and is practically never fatal, which explains why little attention is paid to it. “However it is highly destructive locally and makes patients more susceptible to developing other malignant skin problems”.

According to the study the tumours affect more men than women (although in women they appear earlier in life); most patients are aged about 65, have skin types that tan with difficulty and have lived in this area for several years. They undergo intense exposure to the sun, for leisure or professional reasons .

The Costa del Sol Hospital in Marbella is the centre in the province that treats the most foreign patients. Magdalena de Troya, Head of the Dermatology Service there, confirms that every year they treat a large number of foreign residents from northern Europe. Here the most common complaint is again the basal cell carcinoma. “We are talking about people with fair skin who are exposed to the sun for long periods both through playing sports and sunbathing”, she explains. She has even seen cases of multiple cancer, up to as many as eight tumours at one time, especially on the face and the abdomen.

Melanoma

Doctor López adds that almost 80 per cent of patients with melanoma (the most dangerous form of skin cancer) referred to the Clínico from the Costa del Sol Hospital are foreign. Last year this same Dermatology Department treated 60 patients for melanoma skin cancer, and 20 per cent of these were originally from other European countries.

“People who come to live on the Costa from northern Europe, often British or Scandinavian, have skin types that are not prepared for ultraviolet radiation”. These are the words of Enrique Herrera, a Professor in Dermatology at Malaga University’s Faculty of Medicine, and head of the Department at the Hospital Clínico. “It is very common to see solar damage in these people who seem desperate to soak up the sun, and whose lifestyle leads to greater exposure: they spend a lot of time gardening, going for long walks and playing golf”, he explains. Nevertheless the Professor does point out that northern Europeans seem to be better informed about matters such as sun protection factors and health in general. (This does not accord with ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz´s own observation of the lack of knowledge - in general - in Spain about "SunSmart´s" advice to be in the shade around the peculiarly late culmination time - or High Noon - throughout Spain of 2:00 to 2:30 pm HOP ! ). - end of inserted observation.

***Skin cancer cases in Malaga increase between five and ten per cent every year, going from 1,300 in 2005 to almost 1,500 in 2006. Of the patients requiring surgery, seven per cent are foreign residents.

Colour and gender
It’s no coincidence that the black race developed on the world’s warmest continent and the white race in cooler climes. The colour of the skin denotes a person’s probability of suffering skin cancer, explains the Dermatology Professor, Enrique Herrera. There are five skin types according to defence against the sun’s rays: Type I is the most vulnerable; very white, always burns and never tans. Type II also burns although in the end tans a little. Type III (the most typical in Spain) burns at first but then tans. Type IV (the gypsy race for example) has greater protection and Type V corresponds to the black race.

Cultural elements such as make-up and a greater sense of looking after one’s body among women also contributes to the fact that more men are affected by skin cancer. “Make-up is a physical filter. Lip cancer is very unusual among women because of lipstick, while it is much more frequent in men”.

VITAL COMMENT: In the following July 2007, JULY 27th to AUGUST 2nd, Professor Herrera moved the goalposts. He then compared some later unlike conditions to the two Malaga hospitals above – by then stating the statistics for one hospital in Malaga plus one in Madrid and plus two in the North of Spain!
Conditions in areas further north than Malaga do not have much relation to the fairly extreme conditions for persons exposed to the Sun in the Costa del Sol.
*** His conclusion in July that there was then no increasing problem in Malaga was not a fair one – the problem in Malaga is still increasing :curse:!

EXTRACT from July reassessment: The results come from a study carried out by four hospitals: Hospital del Mar in Barcelona, Juan Canelejo in La Coruña, Princesa de Madrid and the Hospital Clínico in Malaga.
According to Enrique Herrera, the results reveal that cases of skin cancer (including Basal Cell Carcinoma and melanoma, which is the most aggressive type) increased until 2003 and thereafter stabilised(***?).

The comment above submitted to SUR in ENGLISH that weekend – but not printed!
Note: in 2008 there were no actual quantitative statistics reported for Malaga!).

Sorry to have to think this was necessary - the responses mentioned are entirely uneducated!

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:25 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

You swallowed a copy of "The Lancet" or something?
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really nice
Wink Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please

Originally Posted by XTreme
You swallowed a copy of "The Lancet" or something?
Hi Xtreme

What a fantastic, appropriate moniker for this thread!

Hardly that,

My expertise is like that of a "Physicist" in a hospital.
I am able to comment on this subject because my masters degree in Imperial College, London University, was for my experimental determinations of ultra violet (UV) radiation in an aeronautics investigation of the burn up of artificial earth satellites in the atmosphere. Also I have a background of much computations (by hand, then) and observations of such satellites for the benefit of the Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough.

The article is one in that newspaper which appeared only 6 months after my very serious prediction of such problems to increase in the future, which I had submitted to them in Autumn 2006! You can guess what I said was the problem for residents and visitors concerning the prevalence of skin cancer, etc., in such places as Malaga! Naturally, that paper did not print my warning!

Cheers.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:16 pm
Mucho Macho

You remind me of Julian Solos you know!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 9:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz
There are five skin types according to defence against the sun’s rays: Type I is the most vulnerable; very white, always burns and never tans. Type II also burns although in the end tans a little. Type III (the most typical in Spain) burns at first but then tans. Type IV (the gypsy race for example) has greater protection and Type V corresponds to the black race.
So what about fair haired people like me who dont burn, but tan.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

So what about fair haired people like me who dont burn, but tan.
Nooooo, get him onto UK cars in Spain.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:11 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
good thinking, he will get to the bottom of it for sure!!!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please

So what about fair haired people like me who dont..burn..but..tan ?
?

Hi Mitzyboy,

I am not trying to be a doctor! I am just forwarding an opinion from a team of medical experts in Malaga. My expertise is in telling people in various places about physically when UV rays are strongest on a normal day at particular times* of the year ( *Friendly warning: I haven´t gone into that aspect just yet ).

I suggest you write to the lady at the head of the team at Costa del Sol Hospital in Marbella (the centre in the province that treats the most foreign patients), "Sra. Magdalena de Troya, Head of the Dermatology Service, confirms that every year they treat a large number of foreign residents from northern Europe"
She sounds concerned about such questions concerning expats!

Hope that goes some way to suggesting an answer!

Cheers.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Arrow Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please

Originally Posted by jdr
Hi jdr!

Did you miss my response to your query about car documents?
I have had nothing to with cars since 1970!

Cheers.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please

Originally Posted by XTreme
You remind me of Julian Solos you know!
Well Xtreme, since I can´t recall anything about Julian - I just hope it´s a good comparison!

Cheers.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jdr!

Did you miss my response to your query about car documents?
I have had nothing to with cars since 1970!

Cheers.
I know, but it will give you a new horizon to aim for. ;-))
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Last edited by andyrich666 : Jun 6th 2008 at 10:53 pm.
Hi andyrich666,

I can see in the "blogs" section that an edit is easy - but there doesn´t seem to be such an indication in the thread forum - what is the secret type key to press for re-entry to an in-place item?

Cheers.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi andyrich666,

I can see in the "blogs" section that an edit is easy - but there doesn´t seem to be such an indication in the thread forum - what is the secret type key to press for re-entry to an in-place item?

Cheers.
you can edit your post at the in the bottom right hand corner of it there is a Icon to edit. BTW I am still slowly digesting your prev posts, My dog is called Tyson but yes he sometimes I believe him be the Devils dog, although usually a rottwieler he has some evil tendancies but I love him all the same.

Im happy for you that you managed to convince such a newspaper of your beliefs, and as it happens often I watch TVE at times an they always say on there GMT +2, which is quite weird

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.