Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tiling a painted pool

Tiling a painted pool

Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

bizzbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tiling a painted pool

Hi I have decided to tile my water deposit and turn it into a pool at the moment it is painted blue with swimming pool paint. I am thinking of tiling it and was wondering if I should remove the paint first, any advise would be helpful
Old Jan 29th 2016, 6:03 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiling a painted pool

Originally Posted by bizzbie
Hi I have decided to tile my water deposit and turn it into a pool at the moment it is painted blue with swimming pool paint. I am thinking of tiling it and was wondering if I should remove the paint first, any advise would be helpful
Yes, you should remove the paint first to give a good bond.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Yes I thought so but I thought maybe I could but a bonding agent on the paint
Old Jan 29th 2016, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a concrete pool and I wanted to paint it when it was built but our builder also said that if you do then they'll never be able properly to tile it afterwards. There was always the risk of the tiles falling or slipping.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:26 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
We have a concrete pool and I wanted to paint it when it was built but our builder also said that if you do then they'll never be able properly to tile it afterwards. There was always the risk of the tiles falling or slipping.
Which is why you have to remove the paint by 'sanding' the surfaces.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 7:04 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Well sand blasting would remove the paint in no time if you can find an outfit to do it & for the right price.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Sand blasting would be good if it was not expensive, I think I will have to do it by had because of the expense
Old Jan 30th 2016, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Which is why you have to remove the paint by 'sanding' the surfaces.
Just a cheap five minute job then.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Maybe there is a tool you can attach to a SDS drill becides the flat attachment although I see you can buy one that is 80 mm wide to remove tiles.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tiling a painted pool

Maybe there is a tool you can attach to a SDS drill becides the flat attachment although I see you can buy one that is 80 mm wide to remove tiles.
if you have a Karcher I am pretty sure there is an attachment you can buy/rent to sand blast.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Tiling a painted pool

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
if you have a Karcher I am pretty sure there is an attachment you can buy/rent to sand blast.
I have ordered a Karcher sand blaster today many thanks, I just hope it works as good as the pressure washer works
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tiling a painted pool

I have ordered a Karcher sand blaster today many thanks, I just hope it works as good as the pressure washer works
Only here to help!
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Karcher blaster and it worked well on my driveway. But it does use quite a lot of sand which needs clearing up afterwards. It needs clean dry sand so builder's sand won't do. I don't know if you could nip down to the beach and get some? LOL
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Tiling a painted pool

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I have a Karcher blaster and it worked well on my driveway. But it does use quite a lot of sand which needs clearing up afterwards. It needs clean dry sand so builder's sand won't do. I don't know if you could nip down to the beach and get some? LOL
I was wondering about the sand and I think your suggestion it good I will go to the beach, Many Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:56 am
Retired and loving it!

You can buy 'sharp' sand at the builders yard as they use it all the time.

Don't get caught stealing from the beach!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.