Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TIE - Passport Checks

TIE - Passport Checks

Old Apr 12th 2024, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TIE - Passport Checks

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
So your argument means you should therefore enter UK through EU channel seeing you are not a UK resident, it is not your home and you don't pay your taxes there.I imagine that is probably a more dispiriting experience than entering Spag in as a UK national
Not so - Spanish passport holders who happen to be resident in other countries (including non EU ones) and not paying tax in Spain still use the Spanish nationals/EU citizens Passport Control lane when entering Spain.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EU.flag
What a pointless discussion thread.

To OP question, YES all in/outs (except internal land crossings) are logged in every EU state. To presume otherwise is very naive. How/where is done, is irrelavant. About EU lanes, if you want to use them, get EU passport. Otherwise keep clear of them.

All future functions of EES/ETIAS are clearly explained on europa.eu website. No need to make up your own interpretation.
You are right, the whole system will change for third country nationals with the introduction of EES/ETIAS. However, the UK government have treated UK nationals resident in EU states appallingly with no real information, support or representation and without definitive answers to so many questions. We (I was still British back then) were left high and dry for several years post 2016 with virtually no information as to how we would be affected. If it wasn't for goodwill of the EU, UK nationals would probably not even have the protection of the withdrawal agreement.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 12th 2024, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I deliberately said nothing about Brexit or British tourists when wishing that legal residents (and I mean ALL residents whichever country they come from) could be treated better than tourists and not have to stand in long queues (I have once had to queue at passport control when arriving back at Málaga for an hour and twenty minutes, and as the plane didn't land until 11.55 pm it was very late indeed by the time I got home, the only saving grace was that the poor taxi driver had waited for me). We pay our taxes here just as Spanish nationals and EU citizens do, we are all subject to the same laws and should not, in my opinion, be treated less favourably. Indeed, those who have had to pay large sums for visas and meet quite high income thresholds have a right to feel more aggrieved about it than those of us who haven't.
Good post and if the use of the EU passport gates was negotiated as part of the withdrawal agreement why shouldn't those eligible use their rights. I am quite happy being a UK citizen 8 don't wish to be any other nationality I wish to live legally in Spain yes and to do so I am happy to comply with the legislation that allows me to live as a British citizen
in Spain.

Last edited by bobd22; Apr 12th 2024 at 4:29 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2024, 10:37 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like TIE folk want special treatment so as not to be associated with Britain tourists when they arrive at airports. If you want that apply for Spanish citizenship.
Seems like you haven't been to too many airports around the world to understand what others are discussing.

I lived in Singapore for several years and when going through immigration control you will see that incoming passengers are split into tourists (and other short-term visitors) who are directed to certain immigration lanes, whereas the sign "Citizens/Residents - welcome home" shows the lanes for those who live in - or are from - Singapore.

All we are saying is that a similar model should be in place.
Old Apr 13th 2024, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Seems like you haven't been to too many airports around the world to understand what others are discussing.

I lived in Singapore for several years and when going through immigration control you will see that incoming passengers are split into tourists (and other short-term visitors) who are directed to certain immigration lanes, whereas the sign "Citizens/Residents - welcome home" shows the lanes for those who live in - or are from - Singapore.

All we are saying is that a similar model should be in place.
That's exactly the system I would like to see, thank you.
Old Apr 13th 2024, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can determine when I go through passport control is the TIE is not scanned or anything although the passport is. So if residents were allowed to enter the EU channel the passport would still need to be scanned- so it would not make anything easier for the officers. So let's face it this is all about some folk wanting to get a faster way through passport control- but look at it from the other side - if I was Spanish I would like to think that because I am entering my own European country then I should be allowed to benefit from any advantages of being in that club. I would then not like to find myself in a queue with people from UK who stuck two fingers up at the EU ( and still do in Gibraltar). After all we sanction Russian residents in Spain by preventing them flying direct to Spain and blocking their russian accounts despite the fact that many deplore Putin. I am sure they would like there to be a rule that allows them to transfer thereoney from Russia because they are Spanish residents but they obviously can't. They have to live with their nationality and the choice their government has made and therefore it is only fair UK national accept the decisions made by their country.

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Apr 13th 2024 at 12:19 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2024, 1:30 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Smith, I see your point, and TOURISTS from the UK should join the (sometimes long) immigration queue along with passengers who have just landed from South America or Morocco. No longer in the EU? Then that's what you get.

But for RESIDENTS it should be a completely different matter, as is the case in many countries around the world (like the Singapore example I mentioned). They should be able to go through the same queue as locals do.
Old Apr 13th 2024, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Smith, I see your point, and TOURISTS from the UK should join the (sometimes long) immigration queue along with passengers who have just landed from South America or Morocco. No longer in the EU? Then that's what you get.

But for RESIDENTS it should be a completely different matter, as is the case in many countries around the world (like the Singapore example I mentioned). They should be able to go through the same queue as locals do.
I use my NIE with my passport and join the EU line at Faro ( our airport of choice ) and have not yet had any problems. Similarly when we use Seville for internal and to the islands flights the NIE is accepted.
Old Apr 13th 2024, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

would then not like to find myself in a queue with people from UK who stuck two fingers up at the EU ( and still do in Gibraltar). After all we sanction Russian residents
I'm afraid you seem to lump us all into one group when in fact we are not all one group. We may all be British citizens and you may have taken Spanish citizenship? But many on here will be in the group that were resident pre Brexit and have certain rights protected unlike those becoming resident post Brexit or tourists. That is the difference the rights those of us have protected by the withdrawal agreement are what counts and why shouldn't those of us protected by WA use that protection and use the EU citizen lane as that is what the agreement is per the WA? As for sticking two fingers up at Spain or EU that wasn't me and I would guess not the majority that use this forum, I would guess like me most would have voted remain. Some won't but it's their vote and their right to vote how they see fit. I honestly don't get your argument against what was agreed by the EU and UK re those rights of entry for those British citizens resident in the EU pre Brexit? As for Russia there citizens are affected because of sanctions against their home country and government, totally different issue.

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 13th 2024 at 4:41 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Apr 13th 2024, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I'm afraid you seem to lump us all into one group when in fact we are not all one group. We may all be British citizens and you may have taken Spanish citizenship? But many on here will be in the group that were resident pre Brexit and have certain rights protected unlike those becoming resident post Brexit or tourists. That is the difference the rights those of us have protected by the withdrawal agreement are what counts and why shouldn't those of us protected by WA use that protection and use the EU citizen lane as that is what the agreement is per the WA? As for sticking two fingers up at Spain or EU that wasn't me and I would guess not the majority that use this forum, I would guess like me most would have voted remain. Some won't but it's their vote and their right to vote how they see fit. I honestly don't get your argument against what was agreed by the EU and UK re those rights of entry for those British citizens resident in the EU pre Brexit? As for Russia there citizens are affected because of sanctions against their home country and government, totally different issue.
Your argument basically amounts to saying you think the WA should give all pre- Brexit residents the same rights as an EU national and that is precisely what the EU said would not be the case or else they would have simply offered all such people the choice to be an EU national. Anyway let's be honest this is about not liking long queues and if the predictions are right it could be the case that when the new system is brought in TIE holders will end up in the long queues with the UK tourists whizzing through the gates.
​​
Old Apr 13th 2024, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your argument basically amounts to saying you think the WA should give all pre- Brexit residents the same rights as an EU national and that is precisely what the EU said would not be the case or else they would have simply offered all such people the choice to be an EU national. Anyway let's be honest this is about not liking long queues and if the predictions are right it could be the case that when the new system is brought in TIE holders will end up in the long queues with the UK tourists whizzing through the gates.
​​
It isn't my argument as I am not arguing . It's an agreement between the EU and the UK re citizens rights . EU agreed to it so why shouldn't those afforded the protection use the agreed rights? To be honest personally I am not bothered and have always gone to the standard queue for Brits as I was unaware I could use the EU lane. However now I know we can use EU lane I will try it in a couple of weeks time when we next fly back to UK from Málaga. If we are denied I will revert to standard queue if we are allowed through as per WA then it will have made my journey a little better. I will still have the lengthy queue at passport control in UK to contend with. I really don't get why you are so upset that your fellow countrymen that are afforded this from the WA . Life's too short to stress over such trivia . They say we can use it we do it either works or it doesn't, that's it for me.
Old Apr 13th 2024, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

It isn't my argument as I am not arguing . It's an agreement between the EU and the UK re citizens rights . EU agreed to it so why shouldn't those afforded the protection use the agreed rights? To be honest personally I am not bothered and have always gone to the standard queue for Brits as I was unaware I could use the EU lane. However now I know we can use EU lane I will try it in a couple of weeks time when we next fly back to UK from Málaga. If we are denied I will revert to standard queue if we are allowed through as per WA then it will have made my journey a little better. I will still have the lengthy queue at passport control in UK to contend with. I really don't get why you are so upset that your fellow countrymen that are afforded this from the WA . Life's too short to stress over such trivia . They say we can use it we do it either works or it doesn't, that's it for me.
I never said I was upset.I am simply not in agreement that having a TIE card with the WA clause on it allows you access to the EU channel. I am sure that if it were the law it would have been pointed out to me the dozen plus times I have travelled to and from Alicante to UK. The last time at Christmas when I returned I was with my son I tried my luck in the EU channel but was stopped by one of the persons who indicate the channels I showed my TIE and passport but she told me to go to the non EU channel. She then asked my son his age and allowed him through and she then asked if I was his father and let me through. I am sure they would say that residents could use that channel but they simply say EU nationals only and families with children. However if you can prove me wrong ( and the link you provided was simply a writer interpreting the various aspects of the law to argue TIE holders can use EU lanes- it isn't actually the law!) then I will happily accept that I was not aware of the laws.
​​​​​

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Apr 13th 2024 at 5:44 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2024, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree re the link I put on, it was one I came across and put on . I am not an expert on the withdrawal agreement or if in fact what is stated on that link is correct. The link does in itself provide links to areas of the WA. It would seem that like passport stamping it depends which airport you fly from as to whether they allow TIE holders to use the EU lane or not. My wife has been told by a frequent flyer using Málaga that they do allow it. Others have said on here that they do so I will try it and see what happens the same as you did. If refused I am not going to argue with the border official they either allow it or don't . Of course it could depend upon the official on the day rather than the airport . I will see what happens .
Old Apr 13th 2024, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From this link to europa.eu you can download information re WA and details re entry to EU countries for British citizens .
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4L1YOAmmNfPwcs
Old Apr 14th 2024, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

From this link to europa.eu you can download information re WA and details re entry to EU countries for British citizens .
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...4L1YOAmmNfPwcs
​​​​​​It is quite long. Could you maybe indicate where it deals with which channels Brits under WA use? I couldn't see anything about that , it just seemed to be stating very general things about entry but nothing about the right to use EU channels. Admittedly I have only had a quick glance.

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 14th 2024 at 7:21 am. Reason: corrected quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.