Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TIE - Passport Checks

Wikiposts

TIE - Passport Checks

Old Apr 11th 2024, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TIE - Passport Checks

Here's a interesting piece on this issue. Bit of reading but it would seem that it isn't just being resident that allows one to use the EU citizen lane but being resident prior to Brexit. No doubt why such of us that were have the fact on our TIE, I. e. Issued under the withdrawal agreement. Quite lengthy but explains all situations.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timlai/...e%20residents.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

What a pointless discussion thread.

To OP question, YES all in/outs (except internal land crossings) are logged in every EU state. To presume otherwise is very naive. How/where is done, is irrelavant. About EU lanes, if you want to use them, get EU passport. Otherwise keep clear of them.

All future functions of EES/ETIAS are clearly explained on europa.eu website. No need to make up your own interpretation.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 10:11 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I have never been told that. I have read comments from some people that they have asked and been allowed to join the Spain/EU citizen queue and some saying they have asked and been refused, so it seems to be one of those cases where it depends which member of staff is on shift and how good a mood they happen to be in. I would much prefer a clear rule that allows permanent residents to join that queue.
If you're travelling with Spanish family then the changes of being directed to the Spanish/EU queue are substantially higher as families aren't split up.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 10:14 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cat6
I'm just curious about passport checks for TIE-holders. Does passport control log your entries and exits from the country if you hand them your TIE? If so, I can't see the advantage in handing in your TIE to passport control. Can someone please explain??
If you don't show your TIE you could be asked to show funds/accommodation/return trip and they may think you've overstayed from previous stamps in the passport.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Here's a interesting piece on this issue. Bit of reading but it would seem that it isn't just being resident that allows one to use the EU citizen lane but being resident prior to Brexit. No doubt why such of us that were have the fact on our TIE, I. e. Issued under the withdrawal agreement. Quite lengthy but explains all situations.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timlai/...e%20residents.

Nope didnt work for us in October when we flew out of Barcelona to Dubai handed over our TIE and passports. They were examined closely and our passports scanned. Only then did he ask where we were going, he showed our passports and the TIE's to his colleague sat next to him.

The border guard then spent some 10 minutes telling me that my (and the wife's) passport would be stamped as we were still only temporary residents and until we completed the five years and had permanent on the TIE we would be seen as just holiday makers with extra benefits. The fact we were here before Brexit and one of his colleagues mentioning it just made him look more angry
I couldn't be bothered to argue with him as we wanted to get to Oz for our daughters wedding.
Neither passport was stamped coming back in. When they saw the TIE they just checked the photo page against the TIE and then handed them back.

We are off to the Uk on Monday via Bilbao on the ferry I will see what they do, although they will have seen far more TIE's than any airport I would assume.

I cant see how any of us will ever be able to use the EU gates as we are not actually EU citizens and unless its opened up to anyone with a TIE thats a form of discrimination anyway. Im happy standing in the queue,
Anyway 99% of the time the bags are still waiting to be unloaded anyway. Might as well stand in a queue at passport control than listen to all the whinging about where the suitcases are...
Old Apr 11th 2024, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
If you don't show your TIE you could be asked to show funds/accommodation/return trip and they may think you've overstayed from previous stamps in the passport.
Agree and to be fair the Spanish authorities provide those resident with the TIE to prove they are resident and not just a visitor. I can't see the benefit of not showing your TIE to a border official? after all that is why it was issued? If you are at the border without your TIE and they ask "what is the purpose of your visit?" you reply oh I'm returning home, I live here. Official says you live here are you resident? Where's your TIE etc. Pointless and wasting time, if you have a TIE show it with passport, if they decide to stamp your passport depending on location it means nothing you are resident.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 11:29 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I believe non EU citizens who are travelling with a spouse who is an EU citizen are allowed to go through that channel with them. That doesn't apply to me.
That is the case at many airports, even when flying via Helsinki for instance (my current airport of choice as I always seem to have good connection times there) it's good to have someone with an EU passport in your group or else you end up in the other - and often very long - line! Been there - not much fun if you are there when flights from Singapore, Tokyo and Bangkok all come in at a similar time. Almost missed my flight once because I was travelling alone...

Then there are airports that don't like groups walking up together (unless it's like parent and kid) and will treat everyone individually, but even then it's worth a try just so that they know and might allow the non-EU national to stay in the same "preferred" line.

Last edited by astera; Apr 11th 2024 at 11:32 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like TIE folk want special treatment so as not to be associated with Britain tourists when they arrive at airports. If you want that apply for Spanish citizenship.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Sounds like TIE folk want special treatment so as not to be associated with Britain tourists when they arrive at airports. If you want that apply for Spanish citizenship.
I deliberately said nothing about Brexit or British tourists when wishing that legal residents (and I mean ALL residents whichever country they come from) could be treated better than tourists and not have to stand in long queues (I have once had to queue at passport control when arriving back at Málaga for an hour and twenty minutes, and as the plane didn't land until 11.55 pm it was very late indeed by the time I got home, the only saving grace was that the poor taxi driver had waited for me). We pay our taxes here just as Spanish nationals and EU citizens do, we are all subject to the same laws and should not, in my opinion, be treated less favourably. Indeed, those who have had to pay large sums for visas and meet quite high income thresholds have a right to feel more aggrieved about it than those of us who haven't.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I deliberately said nothing about Brexit or British tourists when wishing that legal residents (and I mean ALL residents whichever country they come from) could be treated better than tourists and not have to stand in long queues (I have once had to queue at passport control when arriving back at Málaga for an hour and twenty minutes, and as the plane didn't land until 11.55 pm it was very late indeed by the time I got home, the only saving grace was that the poor taxi driver had waited for me). We pay our taxes here just as Spanish nationals and EU citizens do, we are all subject to the same laws and should not, in my opinion, be treated less favourably. Indeed, those who have had to pay large sums for visas and meet quite high income thresholds have a right to feel more aggrieved about it than those of us who haven't.
Brits who are resident in Spain are still bound by their nationality to Brexit. Saying you pay tax or buy lots of expensive houses and support the Spanish authorities is rather like the nondom status the UK government gives wealthy folk to be treated differently from everyone else. If you want to be an EU citizen apply for Spanish nationality of not you have to accept your nationallty and your immigrant status.
​​

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Apr 12th 2024 at 12:57 am.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 12:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to do that. If you have a TIE issued under the withdrawal agreement you get special benefits that do not apply to people who got a TIE post Brexit. That includes using the EU gates.

From the link that Bob posted

UK Residents who live in the EU prior to Brexit and benefit from Withdrawal Agreement — including family members

As stated in Article 14 of the Withdrawal Agreement, a key fundamental principle of the Withdrawal Agreement is that UK citizens living in the EU prior to Brexit still benefit from the right of entry and exit as per the Free Movement Directive (2004/38/EC) and are therefore allowed to use the EU passport lane.

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 12th 2024 at 12:56 am.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You don't need to do that. If you have a TIE issued under the withdrawal agreement you get special benefits that do not apply to people who got a TIE post Brexit. That includes using the EU gates.

From the link that Bob posted

UK Residents who live in the EU prior to Brexit and benefit from Withdrawal Agreement — including family members

As stated in Article 14 of the Withdrawal Agreement, a key fundamental principle of the Withdrawal Agreement is that UK citizens living in the EU prior to Brexit still benefit from the right of entry and exit as per the Free Movement Directive (2004/38/EC) and are therefore allowed to use the EU passport lane.
I will be able to put this to the test next week (I've never asked to use the EU channel before) so will see what happens.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Brits who are resident in Spain are still bound by their nationality to Brexit. Saying you pay tax or buy lots of expensive houses and support the Spanish authorities is rather like the nondom status the UK government gives wealthy folk to be treated differently from everyone else. If you want to be an EU citizen apply for Spanish nationality of not you have to accept your nationallty and your immigrant status.
​​
It's nothing like the non dom status - the whole point of that was that they didn't pay anything like the same amount of tax on their income that UK citizens or indeed not so wealthy immigrants do! I would accept queuing in a non EU Passport Control channel if I were flying into any other Schengen zone country, as a UK passport holder, but do not agree that people flying into their country of legal residence should have to.
Old Apr 12th 2024, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

It's nothing like the non dom status - the whole point of that was that they didn't pay anything like the same amount of tax on their income that UK citizens or indeed not so wealthy immigrants do! I would accept queuing in a non EU Passport Control channel if I were flying into any other Schengen zone country, as a UK passport holder, but do not agree that people flying into their country of legal residence should have to.
So your argument means you should therefore enter UK through EU channel seeing you are not a UK resident, it is not your home and you don't pay your taxes there.I imagine that is probably a more dispiriting experience than entering Spain as a UK national
Old Apr 12th 2024, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

So your argument means you should therefore enter UK through EU channel seeing you are not a UK resident, it is not your home and you don't pay your taxes there.I imagine that is probably a more dispiriting experience than entering Spain as a UK national

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.