Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

To Thread or To Forum? Discuss

To Thread or To Forum? Discuss

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Thread or To Forum? Discuss

Firstly I'd like to say that I think the mods (Sue) did a fantastic job setting up the Ayamonte Club and I'm sure we all really appreciate the amount of work that went into sorting out all the threads (a vote of thanks).
It does solve the Lilliputian Argument - you may remember that the Lilliputians (who were very small people) went to war over which end of a boiled egg should be opened. The club idea allows a good mixture of informative threads and a continuation of the rambling one.

In Defence of the Threads: For sharing information which is easily retrieved in the future when you want to look back on it (as long as they stay on topic and don't get hijacked)

In Defence of the 'Rambler': It is obviously what a lot of people want. Since its original conception it has had 15,949 posts and 1,547,416 viewing (yes 1.5 million) and that doesn't include the very first thread because it was completely deleted (for good reasons at the time I believe). If I were an advertiser then I would certainly be attracted by these figures (and if I were the owners of British Expats and relied on advertising revenue as do most sites then I would be very supportive of the Club idea). Perhaps at its next reincarnation we might call it "Costa Esuri - Ayamonte : Siesta Time" instead of Part 7

What we all should recognise is that there are many people posting and viewing this Club and we all are different. Some like simple threads, some like chat-like ramblings. Personally I like both and think that's what makes the Ayamonte Club unique and attractive. We should all apply a little tolerance. Those of us who like the mixture of styles are not technical ignoramuses who 'don't get it'. We do get it - and we know what we like. And on a point of information - if people don't like it it will sink below the surface without trace(it's a form of democracy). But it doesn't it stays at the top.

Now, please discuss on this thread and stop hijacking the really useful informative threads to air your prejudices
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Thread or To Forum? Discuss

Originally Posted by MikeJ

Now, please discuss on this thread and stop hijacking the really useful informative threads to air your prejudices

I have said it before, and I will say it again, if you want a chat thread, Siesta Time is the place to have it - that is why it is there.

Just call it Ayamonte Chat and then you can chat off topic to your heart's content.

And I've even started it for you!

Enjoy!!

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 3rd 2009 at 6:05 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Explain to me why so few posts then, apart from the usual posters ?

Is it the only thread on Google with that name and people wonder what it means ?

I have googled loads of strange things and added to the count of these sites, it doesn`t mean that I think the site I visit is great, quality is not acheived by hits.

Individual threads are far better when you need to search for info.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 6:18 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I'd like to say that I think the mods (Sue) did a fantastic job setting up the Ayamonte Club and I'm sure we all really appreciate the amount of work that went into sorting out all the threads (a vote of thanks).
It does solve the Lilliputian Argument - you may remember that the Lilliputians (who were very small people) went to war over which end of a boiled egg should be opened. The club idea allows a good mixture of informative threads and a continuation of the rambling one.

In Defence of the Threads: For sharing information which is easily retrieved in the future when you want to look back on it (as long as they stay on topic and don't get hijacked)

In Defence of the 'Rambler': It is obviously what a lot of people want. Since its original conception it has had 15,949 posts and 1,547,416 viewing (yes 1.5 million) and that doesn't include the very first thread because it was completely deleted (for good reasons at the time I believe). If I were an advertiser then I would certainly be attracted by these figures (and if I were the owners of British Expats and relied on advertising revenue as do most sites then I would be very supportive of the Club idea). Perhaps at its next reincarnation we might call it "Costa Esuri - Ayamonte : Siesta Time" instead of Part 7

What we all should recognise is that there are many people posting and viewing this Club and we all are different. Some like simple threads, some like chat-like ramblings. Personally I like both and think that's what makes the Ayamonte Club unique and attractive. We should all apply a little tolerance. Those of us who like the mixture of styles are not technical ignoramuses who 'don't get it'. We do get it - and we know what we like. And on a point of information - if people don't like it it will sink below the surface without trace(it's a form of democracy). But it doesn't it stays at the top.

So...you 'Get it' do you? Hmmmmmm......

It is obviously what a lot of people want. Since its original conception it has had 15,949 posts and 1,547,416 viewing (yes 1.5 million)
That it has 1.5m views does not mean it has 1.5m viewers. That one thread containing 16,000 posts is evidence of success of an area is subject to scrutiny - i.e. (as Fred pointed out) the other 100,000-odd know how to navigate a forum and post in a variety of places. Other techincally challenged (but no less cherished - bless!) contributors who only know to post in one thread will clearly swell both viewing and posting numbers to a false level. I really can't be arsed to count it up (but I have a feeling one or two people have already done it given how they've privately vented their frustration), there are nowhere near 16,000 contributors to the Esuri thread - in fact, truth be told, I'd wager it wouldn't even get to 1% of that. Are there really 160 different posters who contribute to the Esuri thread?????
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there are at least 8 or 10 (guestimate)
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:04 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
So only 150 to go then!!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

Individual threads are far better when you need to search for info.
You are right there, jdr. When it comes to searching for info on the forum it's easier to sift through shorter threads.

However, I would guess that some people first post a question/topic without searching if the topic has been discussed previously? This isn't (for me) a big deal really, as info can be updated, etc. (Now, admit it, jdr, you really do enjoy directing folk to the Free Beer thread, or using your catch phrase "Google is your friend"!)

Originally Posted by Fred James
I have said it before, and I will say it again, if you want a chat thread, Siesta Time is the place to have it - that is why it is there.

Just call it Ayamonte Chat and then you can chat off topic to your heart's content.

And I've even started it for you!

Enjoy!!
Thanks Fred!

Actually, I had assumed (incorrectly) that the "Part 6" thread was the chat room for the sub forum. Oh well, at least now with "Ayamonte Chat" in Siesta Time no one may dare say something along the lines of "them fitwucks can't even integrate with the Spain forum!!"

I'm surprised no one has compared a sub forum to a "ghetto"? Just a thought...

Come to think of it, where is El Generalisimo?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

For what its worth I had a fair amount of input into getting the Ayamonte Club up and running, and it was my original view that the grande thread could exist happily alongside a full forum for Ayamonte ....... and to be honest I feel I am being proved right.

Many of the country forums have their own chat threads and as we have hereby declared Ayamonte its own country, this is no different

Anyone remember Passport to Pimlico???
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Passport to Pimlico with Margaret Rutherford - how could I have missed that?
So, I had a quick look at my friend Google, and read a bit from filmreference. Paul Wells wrote that the film is about "goodwill expressed with good humour", and on that note I'll say "hasta luego".
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Many of the country forums have their own chat threads and as we have hereby declared Ayamonte its own country, this is no different

Anyone remember Passport to Pimlico???

Old Jul 4th 2009, 11:22 am
Banned

Ayamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant futureAyamontino has a brilliant future

Having had a quick glance, at least 20 different posters have posted today on the various Ayamonte threads, adding really isn't your strongpoint then?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ayamontino
Having had a quick glance, at least 20 different posters have posted today on the various Ayamonte threads, adding really isn't your strongpoint then?
But 75% don`t live there do they ?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Carol&John
You are right there, jdr. When it comes to searching for info on the forum it's easier to sift through shorter threads.

However, I would guess that some people first post a question/topic without searching if the topic has been discussed previously? This isn't (for me) a big deal really, as info can be updated, etc. (Now, admit it, jdr, you really do enjoy directing folk to the Free Beer thread, or using your catch phrase "Google is your friend"!)

Thanks Fred!

Actually, I had assumed (incorrectly) that the "Part 6" thread was the chat room for the sub forum. Oh well, at least now with "Ayamonte Chat" in Siesta Time no one may dare say something along the lines of "them fitwucks can't even integrate with the Spain forum!!"

I'm surprised no one has compared a sub forum to a "ghetto"? Just a thought...

Come to think of it, where is El Generalisimo?
My keyboard used to put "Try the free beer thread" or "Google is your friend" automatically.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 12:49 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ayamontino

Off the top of my head. I am not such a saddo to "have a quick glance" to prove somone wrong
Old Jul 4th 2009, 3:23 pm

Off the top of my head. I am not such a saddo to "have a quick glance" to prove somone wrong
That statement right there summarises what a sad lot of sock-cuckers these lot really are. I have never in my life encountered a group of people so entrenched in their ghetto that they cannot step up and see the real world.

Bless 'em. You have to feel sorry for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.