Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A thought re EHIC

A thought re EHIC

Old Jun 4th 2012, 9:45 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default A thought re EHIC

Lets assume you go to the UK to work & although not a resident (short contract) I assume that you would be covered for the NHS as you are paying into the system.

Yes I told the fellow who I know, as it sounds reasonable ?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:40 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A thought re EHIC

That's a difficult one, but if it comes under EU law, as it probably does, from the reverse position, a Brit working on a short tern contract in Spain should be covered, but I know from experience that there is a paper war involved with the health authorities in Spain.

When I return to the UK, I rely on my EHIC, but I have no practical experience of using it.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
Lets assume you go to the UK to work & although not a resident (short contract) I assume that you would be covered for the NHS as you are paying into the system.

Yes I told the fellow who I know, as it sounds reasonable ?
you aren't covered by paying into the system in the UK though - you're covered if you're legally resident (paying in or not)

as a British citizen you're entitled to residency, obviously, so I'd guess you're covered by default - but how, or if, you'd have to prove it I have no idea

you'd for sure be covered if you were on holiday
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

NHS cover in the UK is a residency based system.

Therefore if you (legally) reside there you are covered fully.

If you, even temporarily, live in the UK whilst working or seeking work you are covered providing you can legally work or seek work there.

So I suppose EHIC only needed in UK for holidays?
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I am English, born in England, and worked most of my life in England. I now live in France (previously Spain), and return to the UK to work. I pay tax and National Insurance in the UK.
As a result of which, DWP pass my contributions to HMRC, who pay France (previously Spain) for my healthcare. When I return to the UK, I am NOT covered for healthcare, except through my EHIC, which is issued by the Overseas Assets and Charities Registrar. This has to be re-issued annually, and the UK invariably lose all the records every year, requiring me to apply and re-apply several times each Spring.
You can sort of follow the logic, but I just pray nothing happens when I am in the UK, as getting the hospital to accept your EHIC is a nightmare, especially if it coincides with one of those periods when DWP deny all knowledge of me.
I suppose what I am saying is be VERY VERY thorough. Make a note of every conversation, get a contact, and WRITE to that contact every single time.
Good luck
Old Jun 6th 2012, 8:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...insurance/ehic

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/travelan...vel/dg_4019496

both say
Your EHIC is free, and it's valid throughout the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
The card enables you to access reduced-cost, sometimes free, state-provided healthcare that becomes necessary during your trip because of either illness or an accident. It also covers you for pre-existing conditions. You can find full details of the cover and who is eligible on the NHS Choices website

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthc...areabroad.aspx

The EHIC doesnt give you everything the issueing country would give you as medical treatment in that country, so insurance should also be purchased to ensure full coverage whilst out of the country.

rgds
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...insurance/ehic

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/travelan...vel/dg_4019496

both say
Your EHIC is free, and it's valid throughout the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
The card enables you to access reduced-cost, sometimes free, state-provided healthcare that becomes necessary during your trip because of either illness or an accident. It also covers you for pre-existing conditions. You can find full details of the cover and who is eligible on the NHS Choices website

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthc...areabroad.aspx

The EHIC doesnt give you everything the issueing country would give you as medical treatment in that country, so insurance should also be purchased to ensure full coverage whilst out of the country.

rgds
Yes, we've had something about that recently on the forum, you need to ensure that you have insurance in the case of needing repatriation, as a for instance, the EHIC would NOT cover that.