Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

For those thinking of moving to Spain with children.

For those thinking of moving to Spain with children.

Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:02 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For those thinking of moving to Spain with children.

I read quite a few threads on here about people wanting to move to Spain but worried about how their children will settle at school etc.

My neighbours sister, husband and two children moved here two weeks ago, and today was the first day at school for the kids. They have a girl aged 7 and a boy aged 10 and they have settled into Spainish life very well.

My friend came round this morning after dropping them off at school and said it was awful. She said the kids were terrified and mum was in tears.

Well would you believe it? The 7yr old has just popped round to see me while walking her dog. I asked her how school was and her words were "GREAT, I LOVED IT" she had this big grin on her face and looked really happy

I know it doesnt happen that way with everyone and I havent got kids so will never be able to share things like this with people. But I am so happy for the kids I thought I would share it with you all.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Snats has a spectacular aura aboutSnats has a spectacular aura aboutSnats has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: For those thinking of moving to Spain with children.

Thanks!

That's just the sort of thing we need to hear! You decide to start making the move for the sake of your kids, and then get into a tizz because you don't want to stuff up for the kids. Just the crazy world of parenting i suppose . . .
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:52 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

What I didnt say is that the School is a local Spanish school with very few English children in it. The teachers hardly speak any English so they should hopefully pick Spanish up quickly.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

That is good to hear, so many "horror stories" posted on here, but to be honest everyone I know say their children settled in well and were made welcome
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

squelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura aboutsquelch has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that, it does help to hear good stories,
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Snats has a spectacular aura aboutSnats has a spectacular aura aboutSnats has a spectacular aura about

I actually remember spending a few days in a french school (yes I know this is the spanish forum!!) in my nan's village in the middle of nowhere. No-one spoke english (except rude words, which they weren't going to say to me at 6 years old) and all the kids were really nice to me. I got to have my own satchel for the day, nice pens, books, I just remember thinking it was brill. It was a novelty factor. I had a great time. Shame I didn't stay on, otherwise I could have been fluent at french. Actually they were nicer to me there than in the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

amberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really nice

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

I have been sooooooo worried about my kids going to a spanish school, and that has made me feel so much better, hopefully on the day the only one crying will be mewhich I can handle as long as they are happy
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Our two started school the week before last and are loving it. I want to dispel a few fears we had...

1. Disorganisation
Registering the children in the local Spanish school seemed really chaotic. We didn't even know when the children were going back (the school didn't before the holidays either it seems!) - so the first week we were here, we were snooping around the local parks trying to find anyone with school age children without drawing too much attention to ourselves!

However - when we turned up at the school on the first day, amongst all the new faces and parents, the school secretary who met us in March recognised our two straight away and welcomed us with a big smile, handing us a voucher for 117€ towards school books!

2. Standards of education
Our two children are two (son) and five (daugther) years respectively. Our two year old is one of the youngest in the school (Spanish children start school at three, but can start at two depending on when they are three).

You would *not believe* the sophistication of the text books our two year old has (mainly mathematics and castellano), whilst our five year old has more books than I had as a first year university student. Seriously!

3. Coping with the language
Children in our daughter's class learn three languages - Castillion Spanish, Valenciana, and English. Despite being a small village school only having a few English in the school, they are well adapted to non-Spanish students.

In our daughter's case, she will not learn English, but will instead have one-to-one lessons with her teacher to bring her up to speed in Castillion Spanish (oral, aural, read, and written).

To be honest, my wife an I would die if we were dropped into a playground full of children who didn't speak our language. Yet our daughter doesn't seem that bothered, whilst our son being younger doesn't even seem to have noticed!

The hardest thing about learning the language is US understanding the teachers. We had to attend a parent's meeting last week - let me tell you that we got about as far as my daughter's teacher saying "Me llamo Isabel" and the rest was a blur!!! So much for our night school beginner's Spanish!!

4. The Spanish
We've moved into the middle of a Spanish area to rent whilst our build is completed. The Spanish absolutely ADORE children, and what our neighbours like the most about our two children is that they are going to a "proper Spanish school". From what we have experienced so far, they have a right to be proud of their education system.

Speaking with our next door neighbour last night, he told me that by Christmas both children would be able to talk with them - and they are really excited by that!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

amberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really niceamberandjason is just really nice

Originally Posted by twyntub
Our two started school the week before last and are loving it. I want to dispel a few fears we had...

1. Disorganisation
Registering the children in the local Spanish school seemed really chaotic. We didn't even know when the children were going back (the school didn't before the holidays either it seems!) - so the first week we were here, we were snooping around the local parks trying to find anyone with school age children without drawing too much attention to ourselves!

However - when we turned up at the school on the first day, amongst all the new faces and parents, the school secretary who met us in March recognised our two straight away and welcomed us with a big smile, handing us a voucher for 117€ towards school books!

2. Standards of education
Our two children are two (son) and five (daugther) years respectively. Our two year old is one of the youngest in the school (Spanish children start school at three, but can start at two depending on when they are three).

You would *not believe* the sophistication of the text books our two year old has (mainly mathematics and castellano), whilst our five year old has more books than I had as a first year university student. Seriously!

3. Coping with the language
Children in our daughter's class learn three languages - Castillion Spanish, Valenciana, and English. Despite being a small village school only having a few English in the school, they are well adapted to non-Spanish students.

In our daughter's case, she will not learn English, but will instead have one-to-one lessons with her teacher to bring her up to speed in Castillion Spanish (oral, aural, read, and written).

To be honest, my wife an I would die if we were dropped into a playground full of children who didn't speak our language. Yet our daughter doesn't seem that bothered, whilst our son being younger doesn't even seem to have noticed!

The hardest thing about learning the language is US understanding the teachers. We had to attend a parent's meeting last week - let me tell you that we got about as far as my daughter's teacher saying "Me llamo Isabel" and the rest was a blur!!! So much for our night school beginner's Spanish!!

4. The Spanish
We've moved into the middle of a Spanish area to rent whilst our build is completed. The Spanish absolutely ADORE children, and what our neighbours like the most about our two children is that they are going to a "proper Spanish school". From what we have experienced so far, they have a right to be proud of their education system.

Speaking with our next door neighbour last night, he told me that by Christmas both children would be able to talk with them - and they are really excited by that!
Another great story, THANKYOUjust wondering what area of Spain you are in, this is just what I need to put myself at ease, it is just worrying about the kids that is making the move hard, silly thing is we are doing it for a better future for them
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:48 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have school age children myself, but would just like to reassure amberandjason by saying that the English children I know in our tiny village have all integrated well into the little school here, and the younger they are, the quicker they learn Spanish.

It is a wonderful opportunity for them to become bi-lingual and learn a different culture.

They'll be fine! (So will you once you know they are!).

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:01 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Young children's brains are like sponges. They learn so quickly without much effort. When my parents lived in Germany for a short spell, my brother who was 4 at the time picked it up immediately and within 6 months spoke like a fluent 4 year old.

Later on when my brother had children of his own, he and his family lived in Greece and my nieces spoke Greek because of the school and environment, English because that is the language my brother and sister-in-law spoke to each other at home and Norwegian because my sister-in-law would speak to them and read bedtime stories in her native language. At the moment my nieces ages are 19 and 13, now living in Norway and speak 3 languages fluently.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

debi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
I read quite a few threads on here about people wanting to move to Spain but worried about how their children will settle at school etc.

My neighbours sister, husband and two children moved here two weeks ago, and today was the first day at school for the kids. They have a girl aged 7 and a boy aged 10 and they have settled into Spainish life very well.

My friend came round this morning after dropping them off at school and said it was awful. She said the kids were terrified and mum was in tears.

Well would you believe it? The 7yr old has just popped round to see me while walking her dog. I asked her how school was and her words were "GREAT, I LOVED IT" she had this big grin on her face and looked really happy

I know it doesnt happen that way with everyone and I havent got kids so will never be able to share things like this with people. But I am so happy for the kids I thought I would share it with you all.
Thankyou so much for that Pam Sarky!! That has eased our minds a bit more! Our kids settling in school has been the biggest worry for us even tho they,re learning as much Spanish as possible and really looking forward to it!

Amberandjason,

You,ve probably already said in other threads so excuse me for asking but, how old are your children and will they be going into a spanish state school?

Debi
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debi
Thankyou so much for that Pam Sarky!! That has eased our minds a bit more! Our kids settling in school has been the biggest worry for us even tho they,re learning as much Spanish as possible and really looking forward to it!

Amberandjason,

You,ve probably already said in other threads so excuse me for asking but, how old are your children and will they be going into a spanish state school?

Debi
Hi Debi

My kids ages are ashley he is 16 next week, alysha 14 Jack 10 Jaydon 3 and Amber-lily is 2 and yes we are going to put them in spanish state schools, even the oldest he is going to finish his english education on-line and go to spanish school to learn spanish, although that will only be if we sell house in time.

Amber
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

debi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amberandjason
Hi Debi

My kids ages are ashley he is 16 next week, alysha 14 Jack 10 Jaydon 3 and Amber-lily is 2 and yes we are going to put them in spanish state schools, even the oldest he is going to finish his english education on-line and go to spanish school to learn spanish, although that will only be if we sell house in time.

Amber
Hi Amber

Where abouts are you moving to? My kids will be 7, 11 and just gone 13 They,re all really bright kids and doing fantastic at school so I feel they should settle in well. Its reassuring to hear of others with kids the same ages doing it! Hope your house sells soon, we,ve got the estate agent coming on monday to take pics

Debi
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debi
Hi Amber

Where abouts are you moving to? My kids will be 7, 11 and just gone 13 They,re all really bright kids and doing fantastic at school so I feel they should settle in well. Its reassuring to hear of others with kids the same ages doing it! Hope your house sells soon, we,ve got the estate agent coming on monday to take pics

Debi
Hi Debi

We are moving around Oliva/Gandia area, my 10 year old struggles a bit but he will not be able to stand not communicating with other kids so this will encourge him to talk spanish, he is more a hands on than acedemic boy, the younger 2 are very bright and are young enough to cope Ashley and Alysha are bright enough although Ashley is a teenager who thinks tomorrow will never come, he will probably work with his dad, Alysha will probably find it hard and as I have found out will probably be held back a year which they do if they do not pass their exams, which will do her a favour although when she comes back from school and I tell her she will not agree it's all a gamble but then isn't life in general here just hoping we are doing the right thing

Good luck with the agent hope your house is worth millions

Amber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.