Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of opening a bar in Tenerife.

Thinking of opening a bar in Tenerife.

Old Jun 30th 2012, 9:32 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of opening a bar in Tenerife.

Originally Posted by Sansash
I'd like to give you some advice ... Don't take any notice of these armchair advisors. Most people who come to Tenerife don't have the proverbial pot. All you'll get from these doom mongers is at best envy, at worst jealousy. There are successful bars in Tenerife .. and unsuccessful bars. Will yours be successful? Who knows, but the keys are hard work, cleanliness and good service. I've lived on this Island for 18 years and I've heard all the old chestnuts about bars going bust .. as they do, but it's usually people like the doom mongers on here that go bust .. they come over with a bit of money and drink the lot .. 'oooh, don't open a bar' ... meh! Where do you think this lot spend all their time.

I notice you didn't let us know whether you decided to come here or not .. my advice ... if you do .. consider ... you're going to have to spend a lot of time with the types on these pages.
Just a point about your post, apart from it being a load of rubbish, you asked the poster not to take any notice of "armchair advisors", but if a question is asked by an "armchair asker" that is what the advice they will get.

I for one would never even consider asking business advice from a forum where there will be such mix opinions from such differing perspectives as some opinions from, "comfotably off pensioners"," the deleriously happy in Spain" and "will not go back to UK even in a box" peeps, the "hating every minute and cant wait to sell brigade", the "take a chance what have you got to lose" bunch, the "feb up in uk and need to get back to Spain" lot and lets not forget the, "Id rather be skint in the sun with no health insurance, hope I dont get ill, and the kids will pick up the language" crowd.

If anyone has got faith in themselves and their abilities why would they take advice from such a mixed bunch of posters.

Last edited by JLFS; Jun 30th 2012 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 9:44 pm
Banned

Sansash is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Thinking of opening a bar in Tenerife.

Originally Posted by JLFS
Just a point about your post, apart from it being a load of rubbish, you asked the poster not to take any notice of "armchair advisors", but if a question is asked by an "armchair asker" that is what the advice they will get.

I for one would never even consider asking business advice from a forum where there will be such mix opinions from such differing perspectives as some opinions from, "comfotably off pensioners"," the deleriously happy in Spain" and "will not go back to UK even in a box" peeps, the "hating every minute and cant wait to sell brigade", the "take a chance what have you got to lose" bunch, the "feb up in uk and need to get back to Spain" lot and lets not forget the, "Id rather be skint in the sun with no health insurance, hope I dont get ill, and the kids will pick up the language" crowd.

If anyone has got faith in themselves and their abilities why would they take advice from such a mixed bunch of posters.
Nice response .. and totally agree JLFS .. apart from the 'load of rubbish' bit. Nobody seems to have noticed the computer guy left the discussion 9 months ago ... probably pest off to the Cape Verdi discussion board
Old Jun 30th 2012, 10:32 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

how can anyone on this forum not be anything but an armchair adviser ??
Old Jun 30th 2012, 10:55 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
how can anyone on this forum not be anything but an armchair adviser ??
Maybe some are sitting on a bar stool in the local boozer enjoying a pint or three while using the free wifi, whilst others are safely tucked up in bed.

(I nearly said connected up whilst lying under the blankets, but I fancy one or two dirty minds might have got the wrong impression.)
Old Jul 1st 2012, 1:04 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

The point is the facts! It doesnt matter if you're in an armchair or in a bar. The whole damn world is suffering from this recession, Europe is a mess and Spain is taking the brunt of the mess. If you're in your arm chair working out the figures, it doesnt take Einstein to work out that the odds are stacked against - of course there will always be exceptions. so it depends if you're a gambling man (or woman)...... You've studied the form, now place your bets!

Jo xxx
Old Jul 1st 2012, 1:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
The point is the facts! It doesnt matter if you're in an armchair or in a bar. The whole damn world is suffering from this recession, Europe is a mess and Spain is taking the brunt of the mess. If you're in your arm chair working out the figures, it doesnt take Einstein to work out that the odds are stacked against - of course there will always be exceptions. so it depends if you're a gambling man (or woman)...... You've studied the form, now place your bets!

Jo xxx
Or jump of a bridge eh? jjjj jo

Last edited by Sansash; Jul 1st 2012 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:07 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Or jump of a bridge eh? jjjj jo
... Or jump off a bridge, but that option is unlikely to be very prifotable

Jo
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:14 am
Banned

... Or jump off a bridge, but that option is unlikely to be very prifotable

Jo
Or even profitable
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:23 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Or even profitable
Can I just ask what "meh?" means, as you use it ,and so have a few other posters on here, but they are no longer around.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:30 am
squeaky clean

Or even profitable
Oh you did notice, well done!!

Can I just ask what "meh?" means, as you use it ,and so have a few other posters on here, but they are no longer around.
"meh" as far as I know is a teenage word that mine use all the time. According to my daughter it kinda means "do I care?", "so??", "and....???"

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Jul 1st 2012 at 2:41 am.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:38 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Its a sign of indifference and boredom generally. I did hear that its Yiddish but someone else told me it was from the Simpsons, meh.... who cares?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:40 am
Banned

"meh" as far as I know is a teenage word that mine use all the time. According to my daughter it kinda means "do I care?", "and...."

Jo xxx
Thanks Jo

I thought it might be something like that, as it has been used by the "younger starting out, it worked out well for me to come on a wing and a prayer" type of posters on this forum.

It is getting rather commonplace on here, usually with the more "optimistic" posters who advise others to "go for it" and take no notice of the negheads who are past it and jealous.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:50 am
Banned

"meh" as far as I know is a teenage word that mine use all the time. According to my daughter it kinda means "do I care?", "so??", "and....???"

Jo xxx
Meh! .. is a term of disdainful disbelief ... as in your typo being dropped for my benefit ... meh!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:56 am
Banned

Meh! .. is a term of disdainful disbelief ... as in your typo being dropped for my benefit ... meh!
So basically it is a term used by a family of cartoon characters and teenage girls, sort of like "whadeva".

Not exactly the type of things an hecho y derecho man would say/type then?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:01 am
Banned

So basically it is a term used by a family of cartoon characters and teenage girls, sort of like "whadeva".

Not exactly the type of things an hecho y derecho man would say/type then?
Did I say it came from a family of cartoon characters? No, jjjj jo said that .. and you're going to believe someone who can't spell profitable??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.