Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving from Spain to the UK

Thinking of moving from Spain to the UK

Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving from Spain to the UK

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I went to college in Stratford in the 70's, and just recently last week went there twice for drinks / meals. Most of the homely traditional pubs I remember have all gone, and although they have tried to make them oldy worldy to suit the tourist trade, their real character has I am afraid long gone
What did you study there?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:57 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
What did you study there?
Three card brag (otherwise known as economics)
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:45 am
Just Joined

calum141 is an unknown quantity at this point

Advantages of Living in Spain:
1. More reasons to go out
2. Good education
3. Nice people (majority..)

Disadvantages of Living in Spain:
1. Job possibilities
2. No "corner shop" newsagents :P
3. Takes time to fimiliaze yourself with lifestyle and law.

Advantages of Living in UK:
1. Nice Countryside
2. Many jobs and careers available
3. Loads of nice pubs around.

Disadvantages of Living in the UK:
1. You pay tax that seems to go into failing systems(e.g. NHS)
2. Immigrants feel like they've won the lottery when they get here. Another thing we pay tax for.
3. Yobs
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DrStarsky
Thanks all for the input, and let me answer to some of the points raised.

Mitzyboy, indeed I'm considering the area just south of Coventry, perhaps Leamington/Warwick. I wonder if you can elaborate as to what makes Coventry such a horrible place. Concerning the price of houses. Rural Spain may be cheap, but in Barcelona with £200,000 you buy a crappy 60 square meters flat in an average
neighborhood. Even in towns around Barcelona prices are significantly higher than what I saw in Leamington/Warwick. Prices here tripled over the last 7 years. The average salary is less than 2000 euros/month. Most people live with their parents until they marry, as with one salary it's impossible to buy anything. Then they sign a 50-year mortgage and put almost an entire salary into the monthly payments.

I gather from looking some of your posts that you are moving to Spain? I don't know if you'll have to work here, but in my view professionally Spain is a dump. I'm fed up with the lack of professionalism, people not showing up in time, not taking their job seriously, and the low standards in the way things are done. It is a very provincial and
parochial place, even Barcelona. That said, if I was older and had enough money to retire and buy property in Spain, I'd probably prefer Spain over the UK. People here are friendly and relaxed, you can walk everywhere at night without fearing of being
mugged, and it's sunny most of the time.

Concerning immigration, it's a relatively new phenomenon in Spain compared to the UK, but is growing very rapidly. In Catalunya alread 12% of the population is immigrant.

Poollounger, you are quite right that every place has its problems. Are you living in Spain? In the cities it's common to see large agglomerations of young people drinking and smoking drugs, but in general people are not confrontational. As I said, one of negatives I see in the UK is violent drunken behaviour. Could my perspective be skewed from the loads of drunken and loud British tourists I see in Barcelona?
I've read your thread with interest as I'm doing the exact opposite to yourself. I for my sins hail from Coventry and have lived here all my life and believe me I can't wait to move to Spain. I have to agree with all the comments made about Coventry, I used to be proud to say I was from here, but no longer. There's very little industry anymore, the crime rate is awful, I won't go into the city on my own in the day let alone at night, we're overrun with ethnics from all over the world, there is no architecture (except the cathedral) but a miss match of hideous buildings and don't kid yourself Leamington/Warwick are not much better, I could go on but I don't want to bore you. Now Spain for me is a different kettle of fish, ok I won't be working as I'm retiring so my reasons are different to yours, but at least I feel safe to walk around at any time of day or night.The scenery and the culture is far more appealing. My money I feel will go a lot further and the weather is a lot healthier and I can't wait, only another 6 months to go.
Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:32 pm
Banned

Bossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunlover27
I've read your thread with interest as I'm doing the exact opposite to yourself. I for my sins hail from Coventry and have lived here all my life and believe me I can't wait to move to Spain. I have to agree with all the comments made about Coventry, I used to be proud to say I was from here, but no longer. There's very little industry anymore, the crime rate is awful, I won't go into the city on my own in the day let alone at night, we're overrun with ethnics from all over the world, there is no architecture (except the cathedral) but a miss match of hideous buildings and don't kid yourself Leamington/Warwick are not much better, I could go on but I don't want to bore you. Now Spain for me is a different kettle of fish, ok I won't be working as I'm retiring so my reasons are different to yours, but at least I feel safe to walk around at any time of day or night.The scenery and the culture is far more appealing. My money I feel will go a lot further and the weather is a lot healthier and I can't wait, only another 6 months to go.
Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best

Sounds like exactly what i would have put , just alter the town lol

well posted sunlover

Coventry or Spain Hmmmmmm heck what a tough choice lol
Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:24 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Spain is a great place for retirees - who wouldn't choose Spain over England! but for younger people Spain is no bed of roses. Competition for the far fewer jobs is fierce and most jobs are very badly paid. It's also true that customer service is usually non-existant, standards and professionalism are very low.

The UK is the place to make lots of money and then move to Spain to really live life to the full.

Mark