Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Spain - Good areas to consider please?

Thinking of moving to Spain - Good areas to consider please?

Old Oct 29th 2019, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

back2thefuture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Spain - Good areas to consider please?

Dear all,

Hope you are all well.
My fiance and i are thinking of moving permanently to Spain. We are looking at the Valencia area to start with.

We will be moving from London and the different lifestyle attracts us...Nice weather, food etc.
We would like to be somewhere lively but also have nature etc...

Could you recommend any other areas that we should consider that are safe, good infrastructure, and good for raising a new family.

We are looking to buy a villa of sorts...our budget is around £120k...

Many thanks for any advice given

Old Oct 29th 2019, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Spain - Good areas to consider please?

1. Advice Before You Move:- Do not sell your home in the UK. Rent it out and perhaps money gained will sponsor what expenses are ahead.
2. Rent in Spain for at least 5 months in the off season. During that time you will learn if Spain is for you. If it is, then the area in which you wish to live is also learnt.
3. Leave room for dignified retreat. Not everybody enjoys Spain.
4. What are the chances of you and your spouse getting employment in Spain?
5. Measure twice, cut once!
Old Oct 30th 2019, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Thinking of moving to Spain - Good areas to consider please?

Originally Posted by Leper
1. Advice Before You Move:- Do not sell your home in the UK. Rent it out and perhaps money gained will sponsor what expenses are ahead.
2. Rent in Spain for at least 5 months in the off season. During that time you will learn if Spain is for you. If it is, then the area in which you wish to live is also learnt.
3. Leave room for dignified retreat. Not everybody enjoys Spain.
4. What are the chances of you and your spouse getting employment in Spain?
5. Measure twice, cut once!
I think the advice here is spot on i would only add to speak Spanish would be a great advantage.The area we moved to is perfect for us and we love our life here in Spain but to raise a family is a different matter.Do your research even come for an extended stay being here and asking questions in person is best i.e estate agents town halls even the locals and to see area's in real life.I hope all goes well and if you make it good luck. Keep asking questions.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Coppyboy5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by back2thefuture
Dear all,

Hope you are all well.
My fiance and i are thinking of moving permanently to Spain. We are looking at the Valencia area to start with.

We will be moving from London and the different lifestyle attracts us...Nice weather, food etc.

Could you recommend any other areas that we should consider that are safe, good infrastructure, and good for raising a new family.

With this budget according to the real estate catalogue here you can afford to buy a 4-bedroom flat in the center of Alicante or a 3-bedroom house in Torrevieja (90 sq. m). Actually these are the variants I would buy for myself if I had that sum of money But tips from Leper are very sensible. Don't sell your home in the UK as their is always some chance to have problems with finding work.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,

Hope you are all well.

Im just going to agree with what has already been said.
But Im going to add my 2c.

Use the internet. These days with the level of detail on Google maps you can 'walk' along streets, see how many people are around and see how good or bad the parking is.
I would also suggest making a list of all the things you like and dislike with regard to areas you would like to move too.
i.e. Do you want a house, flat, villa?
Do you want city, town, village or campo?
How close to the coast, inland or up a mountain do you want to live. (this one will also determine the weather to some degree)

We were lucky with our property choice, but we have been visiting the area we purchased in for over 15 years (the wife's dad lives in the area)
We have a 3 bed 2 bath 2nd floor apartment (flat) in a small village around 7km from Altea. Its quiet but we have to drive to the nearest bar and shops. But it overlooks a mountain and from the roof we can see the sea.

Also try to visit at different times of the year. We have visited at every month over the last couple of years, but only decided to buy last year.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

IMO whilst it might all sound quite alluring there are a number of things you might need to focus on. First , be aware the lure of nice weather and Food will wane after a few years. Secondly , a young family needs to integrate to be able to give their children any real opportunities. That means everyone needs Spanish. Thirdly , work is hard to find unless you live in a major city and have high end skills. Fourthly, you need to consider the issue of family and friends when deciding where to start a new life
Old Nov 24th 2019, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond repute

It’s all down to the planning! Our move to Spain was three years in the planning involving internet searches on properties and locations, dragging our caravan to Spain for holidays and looking at areas. Flying out for long weekends to discover areas, Spanish lessons,visiting Place in the Sun exhibitions and research in to many, many issues such as medication for my wife, medical insurance, cars etc.
We came down last year for a month and eventually bought a villa in Valencia, an area we had not even researched!
But guess what? We love it.
So although we had not researched this area everything still fell in to place due to all the previous planning.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Dear all,

Hope you are all well.

I split my time between the UK (South East) and Valencia city. I can't recommend the city and surroundings enough, and coming from London / South East, you'll probably find things a bit cheaper than you're used to- I do, at least.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

The OP must have gained all the info needed, they've not posted after starting the thread a month ago.