Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

thinking of moving to Spain

thinking of moving to Spain

Old Aug 19th 2016, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

AdrienneS is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry thinking of moving to Spain

I've been thinking of moving to Spain (Costa Calida); it's just me, no family no pets. I just started looking online and it seems an absolute minefield of red tape. Residency registration costing €6000 euros, taking my car with its MOT) proof of health insurance and financial stability. i never thought it would entail so much I thought I could just go and live and enjoy I rent in the UK, and my intention was to long term rent in Spain as there seems lots of suitable places. I have a little savings and was going to use some of it for the rent Can someone answer any of my fears. For me who has no-one to share the tasks with it seems quite onerous. I'm really now very concerned that perhaps this is not going to happen
Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking of moving to Spain

Many seem to think they can just up sticks, move to Spain and relax, and it's not like that
No pain no gain!
You need to do lots of research, expat sites and forums etc
Also you should contact DWP and HMRC in UK ; there is so much advice that is confusing and conflicting and you will need to sift through it.
Where possible get advice from the horses mouth
Blevins Franks is a good website for advice on tax, and government websites for advice to those considering living abroad
There is a lot of advice on forums which is good for opinions and experiences, but stick to the experts for advice on tax, health, finances, residency, employment etc
Old Aug 19th 2016, 2:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrienneS
I've been thinking of moving to Spain (Costa Calida); it's just me, no family no pets. I just started looking online and it seems an absolute minefield of red tape. Residency registration costing €6000 euros, taking my car with its MOT) proof of health insurance and financial stability. i never thought it would entail so much I thought I could just go and live and enjoy I rent in the UK, and my intention was to long term rent in Spain as there seems lots of suitable places. I have a little savings and was going to use some of it for the rent Can someone answer any of my fears. For me who has no-one to share the tasks with it seems quite onerous. I'm really now very concerned that perhaps this is not going to happen
Residency registration does NOT cost €6000, not even a fraction of that. What people need to know before advising you about things is whether you are retired, and if not, whether you will need to work. There is a requirement, for taking residency, to show you have sufficient funds, but there have been as many amounts quoted as there are people on these forums, and you will also need to show that you have healthcare sorted, if you are retired, then get form S1 from DWP and sign on to the Spanish NHS, if not you will have to show your have private healthcare.
If you are going to be resident, then you will have to get your car re-registered onto Spanish plates as a resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered car.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with mikelincs about healthcare etc.

To get better advice from this site you will need to explain your circumstances better, ie are you retired or will you be looking for work. Do you have a regular income ie Pension?

You will need to prove you have a regular income (and/or a healthy bank balance) and healthcare covered.

The easy part is getting here and renting an apartment or Villa but after 90 days the difficult part starts as you will need to register as a resident.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Do a mental checklist of all the things you have done/do on a day to day basis when living in the UK - things you take as normal from paying bills,council tax, income tax, contracts with utility suppliers, MOT car etc etc and life is no different in Spain. The problem you face is that because you are planning a move to a new country there will be a language issue and everything has to be done in a relatively short time. Your first 90 days you are here as tourist only after that must you have everything in order. Long term rental is a good starting point as you have a roof over your head and a base from which to do all your registration process. It may seem daunting but really it is normal life just in a different country
Old Aug 19th 2016, 4:44 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

This link should help you.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residenc...ments-in-spain
Old Aug 19th 2016, 9:20 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I could just go and live and enjoy
Well, I did just that. You could rent a property for a few months before deciding whether to make Spain your permanent home.

Who told you 6,000€ ???? It is not difficult and need not cost you anything to (DIY) apply for residency.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 9:27 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrienneS
I know quite a few on the CDS who just turn up & rent from another Brit, all use the EHIC and are still here years later.
Illegal of course but no one seems to be bothered ?
Old Aug 19th 2016, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Registration does not cost Euro 6000,- you simply have to show you will not be a burden on the state when you register. This is normally done having a pension if you are an "Oldie" or having some money in the bank plus a credit card(s) with a reasonable limit.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

The process in Barcelona is well-described in this link :Life in Barcelona - How to register in Barcelona - Getting a NIE in Barcelona - Getting a foreigner's ID number in Barcelona - (barcelona-metropolitan.com)

Not necessarily identical in Murcia
Old Aug 19th 2016, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Registration does not cost Euro 6000,- you simply have to show you will not be a burden on the state when you register. This is normally done having a pension if you are an "Oldie" or having some money in the bank plus a credit card(s) with a reasonable limit.
Burden on the state? That's a laugh!If you go to Spain and run out of money, you will get- Nothing!
Now, if you come to the UK and run out of money, that's another story......
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

6000 Euros ? That is when you ask some guy down the boozer and he says, "I can fix that for you - only six grand guv !"
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

BarryWhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

My partner and I (56 and fit) are heading off to Altea, Costa Blanca in September. We are moving down with the Power boat and dog! I'm a Yachtmaster Skipper, up for some sailing fun or a little extra pocket money using my marine skills. email me if you want to make contact <snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 21st 2016 at 4:03 pm. Reason: Email removed to save you from spambots and weirdos
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BarryWhite
Hi All

My partner and I (56 and fit) are heading off to Altea, Costa Blanca in September. We are moving down with the Power boat and dog! I'm a Yachtmaster Skipper, up for some sailing fun or a little extra pocket money using my marine skills. email me if you want to make contact
Good luck to you (honestly!) but remember fitness does not always last. At some point you and/or your partner will probably need medical treatment for even the mildest of ailments so health insurance at your age is a necessity.
Don't wish to sound like a doom monger, but we don't stay fit and well for ever and there's always the chance of an accident which incapacitates you or your partner, perhaps more so if sailing!
I've known a few friends who have had bad falls and sustained broken limbs as a result. One fell out of tree when he was cutting branches and he was fit.
My own wife slipped and fell in a restaurant nearly two years ago and broke her arm in two places.
All by definition unforeseen.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 21st 2016 at 4:04 pm. Reason: Quoted email removed
Old Aug 21st 2016, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

BarryWhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply, we have our insurance in place for that very reason.
Regards
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.