Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Spain.

Thinking of moving to Spain.

Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:58 am
Just Joined

MagicWriter2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Spain.

Hi, my husband and I are considering moving to Spain in order to leave behind the rotten weather we get here in Scotland (vest tops one day, winter woollies the next, not good for your health) and to hopefully have a better quality of life. All we seem to do back home is work, work, work and as I work shifts and he doesn't, we can be like ships passing in the night sometimes. We will also be bringing our dog if we come. Originally we were thinking of buying a mobile home on a park home as we thought it would give us a ready made community and support system, but the few posts I have read about them tend to be quite negative. Now thinking of renting somewhere for however long, but big question is, could we live a relatively comfortable life on approx £250 euros a week? We would be eating at home most of the time, maybe go out for occasional meal or coffee. We would need to live somewhere not too far from an airport with good transport links, but are not city dwellers. We do not do clubbing either. We don't speak Spanish at the moment but would try to learn enough to get by to begin with, but would like somewhere where we could get some support from other more knowledgable Brits. Hoping to get some good advice from you guys.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Spain.

If you really say 250€ a week, you have it in both currencies, then I would say an emphatic no, you need to take into rental, gas, electric, water travelling back to UK as I assume that is why you want to be near an airport, you more than likely as I don't know your ages, will need health insurance as well.

You also need proof you can live on your own income etc.

I assume you are not looking for work here, well to be blunt there isn't any especially if you cant speak the language, I am sure someone will be along with a break down of costs much better than I have written, but I cannot see that working, sorry
Old Jun 20th 2014, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Magic and welcome to the forum.
You will probably read many posts of a negative nature as Spain has had, and is having a very tough time economically! Also people have had very different experiences so you´ll need to cypher what you think mostly applies to you.
You haven´t mentioned if you´ll be coming here in the hope of finding work. If you need to work your situation changes dramatically, as work is very difficult to come by! That, I can´t emphasise enough!
So I´ll try to be brief in giving you my spin on things and hopefully getting you started.
Firstly, 250 pounds per week translates to approximately €1,300 per month. Depending on your expectations, you should find that to be more than enough money if you´re living a relatively simple life. Many Spaniards earn approx €800 to €1000 per month!
I live down in Mijas Costa where there are a lot of Brit´s, amongst others. You might be surprised at the number of them that don´t/can´t speak Spanish.
Whatever people´s take might be on that, the Spanish are pretty well prepared, so most people get by. For example, at my local Doctors, there is always an interpreter to hand!
When you go out for a coffee, expect to pay something in the region of €1 to €1.50! Coffee (which is bloody brilliant here) with say toasted bacon sandwhich for breakfast, might cost about €4 - €5 ... not bad really
At mid day, when you´re sitting outside a café in the sun, a cold bottle of beer will cost about €1.50.
Now, in my area follow the link I´ve posted. This will give you a good idea of rental prices...
Pisos alquiler Málaga | Fotocasa.es
Don´t get too excited looking at photographs ... there are places I wouldn´t have my dog living in. However, by searching through you will be given a good idea of rental prices.
Just a tip: You can copy paste into "Google Translate" if you don´t understand the description!
Good luck! I´m sure there will be other posters along shortly
Old Jun 20th 2014, 12:56 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Your rent can be €500 a month thats with water and electric.. that leaves you €500 a month to live on.. It can be done as the spanish only get €500 dole money for the month..
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MagicWriter2014
Hi, my husband and I are considering moving to Spain in order to leave behind the rotten weather we get here in Scotland (vest tops one day, winter woollies the next, not good for your health) and to hopefully have a better quality of life. All we seem to do back home is work, work, work and as I work shifts and he doesn't, we can be like ships passing in the night sometimes. We will also be bringing our dog if we come. Originally we were thinking of buying a mobile home on a park home as we thought it would give us a ready made community and support system, but the few posts I have read about them tend to be quite negative. Now thinking of renting somewhere for however long, but big question is, could we live a relatively comfortable life on approx £250 euros a week? We would be eating at home most of the time, maybe go out for occasional meal or coffee. We would need to live somewhere not too far from an airport with good transport links, but are not city dwellers. We do not do clubbing either. We don't speak Spanish at the moment but would try to learn enough to get by to begin with, but would like somewhere where we could get some support from other more knowledgable Brits. Hoping to get some good advice from you guys.

As mentioned depends what you want from life and the question what age, do you need work? With a paid mortgage 1000 could be enough for two, but otherwise you'll see your money going fast. Spain isn't as cheap as people say and prices are going up and up. You'll find people need to even work longer hours in Spain and it's not a permanent holiday. Forget those long Scottish summer evenings and having the air con on is more expensive than heating. If it's weather your looking for, there are other places far cheaper to live.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

" £250 euros a week? " - there's a big difference between Euros and Pounds and getting bigger! Which is it?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

MagicWriter2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, it would be 250 euros!
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Magic, Obviously, there is the case against living in a mobile home, but some would enjoy the experience. Long term I reckon you need at least a two bedroom apartment. Basic rent per month would work out at €550 per calendar month. Add in electricity, food, trips home, wear-and-tear, running a car, public transport, occasional drink, a couple of treats and soon your budget is in tatters. Sorry to inform you €250 per week for all of the foregoing is short of the mark.

You'll know yourself when you write everything down in black and white for your wish list. Then add in "mights" - I'm being my usual negative self here - so some positivity coming up:- Try Spain for 2 months off season, you'll have a lot to gain and experience will inform you if you can do what you want to do . . .
Old Jun 21st 2014, 9:21 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Another factor you will have to take into account is health care. As you are not yet retired you will have to have private medical insurance - that is now a condition of your being allowed to stay in Spain for more than 90 days.

That's going to add at least another €1000pa to your costs.