Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of making the move.......

Thinking of making the move.......

Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Big P is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Thinking of making the move.......

After quite a lengthy illness(myself) and my partner are looking at relocating to Spain for a totally new start.We are both in our mid thirties and looking at living / working in a coastal area.I would be grateful for anyone who could give us any pointers workwise,or for property rental.Or any help on the does and don'ts.I myself have previously worked overseas and have a broad expanse of work,Warehouse,Logistics,supermarket Manager,Retail etc.And my partner is currently employed as a clerical assistant,but has a lot of previous bar work/management experience.We have both feel that the time is right now to move and work abroad,and are not doing this on a whim
If any one can help it would be gratefully appreciated,especially with other expats who could possibly help with us finding work.
All the best Paul
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:38 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of making the move.......

Originally Posted by Big P
If any one can help it would be gratefully appreciated,especially with other expats who could possibly help with us finding work.
All the best Paul

Hello Paul and welcome to BE you have found the right place for information,sorry I can't help with any info on work,I believe it can be quite difficult without speaking the language, if you look in the Free Beer thread at the top of the page you will find lots of info on relocating in there, I tend to look in here a lot for rentals ESTATE AGENTS .

Good Luck, I'm sure you will have lots more coming along soon to help
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future

I would recommend a trial period if possible, before you jump in with both feet, as it's sometimes difficult to tell whether you feel you could 'live' somewhere as opposed to being on holiday there. See if you can perhaps sign up for a rental contract that isn't too committing at first.

Secondly, you didn't mention whether you speak Spanish or not, but if you don't yet speak the language, then don't underestimate how important it is if you wish to be employed in a Spanish company.

Also, be prepared for lots of moments of feeling like a complete fool in shops/post offices/banks/anywhere when you are faced with a lightning-quick stream of Spanish fired at you without apparently stopping to breathe... (or is that just me )

Otherwise, go for it!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

What area, which coast, Med or Atlantic. Slightly inland on the coast, transportation, shops, language etc etc.???
Before you make the move do your homework. Scoure the internet for ideas, areas etc and I mean scoure. One source will sjow you what you want to see, another will show you how it really is.
Good advice from last post, come over on a trial period or even an extended stay and go out and find out what its like in your preffered area.
Work on the coast is mainly seasonal and low wages with long hours.
If you speak the language then you are already greatly advantaged. If not, get learning so at least you can follow a conversation of sorts.
I wish you all the luck in the world as that initial move is quite a wrench if you are not 100% committed.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Agree with the above learn the lingo as that will help no end, other wise you will be stuck struggling for work and returning home.

Agree on the trial as well, this is what i am doing. I have rented for 6 months to see if i settle. I am in a different position though where i can run my internet business what is established from anywhere in the world. I'm renting in Calahonda on the Costa Del Sol with a view to buying if i settle, which i know i will. I will be looking to move inland slightly but untill i get my bearinmgs where i am is perfect for getting to places such as Malaga airport etc.

I move on the 8th Janauary and be prepared as there is so much to do and think about.

Good luck anyway.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Big P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info so far guys and gals .We did contemplate the trial move,but to be honest we are quite lucky as we only rent here in the UK,and dont have much to bring with us ,only the dog !.My Spanish is get by able,but by no means fluent (is it just me or does it get harder to learn the older you get ).We are looking at the med coast,rather than the atlantic,but are not yet settled on one specific area.Greatly depends on Job availability.We are not looking to make a lot working,just looking for a better quality of life,and climate.
Like say,thanks to everyone for the commemts so far.
Best wishes Paul
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big P
We are not looking to make a lot working,just looking for a better quality of life...
Well, if you work out here you'll be working into the evening every night, and on Saturdays too, when the average wage is about 800 euros a month or something ridiculous!

I personally don't know how the Spanish do it, but it is quite handy that you can get to see your GP before school or the vet at 8pm in the evening.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by twyntub
Well, if you work out here you'll be working into the evening every night, and on Saturdays too, when the average wage is about 800 euros a month or something ridiculous!

I personally don't know how the Spanish do it, but it is quite handy that you can get to see your GP before school or the vet at 8pm in the evening.
So so true, people say a better quality of life, but this is what the companies drum into people who are looking to move away from the UK.

As i said above i am lucky with my net business, if it was not for that i would not do it fact if i did not have a lot of savings and the will to learn the lingo. You seem certain so hopefully the will to learn the lingo and sauced will see you through.

You heard me i sound like i have done it and got the t=shirt haha.