Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying in Torrevieja

Thinking of buying in Torrevieja

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:41 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying in Torrevieja

Originally Posted by PETER A
Hi Helen
We have a property in El Salado 11 near la siesta, we like this area,
We are in a gated community with a pool. torrevieja is about 20 min walk.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

josie22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, iam looking at buying in or around "playa flamenca" within the next year, I think some people have forgot that there is a major property crash here in England as well?? And no jobs for traders like, builders,plumbers ,ect. I have just sold a property 40 grand under the value price, but the lucky person who has bought this will gain in the next 7yrs when the market goes up "again", so I think it is the right time to buy in spain now, for the better deals you can get, and then "when" the property market goes up again which it will ? the people who buy now will gain !!! And as for work people here are in and out off work because there is NONE .......but after living in England for 48yr what have you to loose?? At least spain has got the SUN and beach's more than we got in England, I think people should stop putting moving to spain as a bad move!!!
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:35 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Employment prospects are worse in Spain, particularly for a guiri with no language skills. However that should not be an issue for you, as from a.n.other posts I understand you are a full time carer so will not be looking for a job?

Don't know where you live(?), but property prices are increasing in many parts of the UK. They are still falling all along the Costas and I don't see prices booming again any time soon.

If you feel you and your son will have a better life in Spain, go for it and enjoy. Life is too short to procrastinate.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by josie22
Hi everyone, iam looking at buying in or around "playa flamenca" within the next year, I think some people have forgot that there is a major property crash here in England as well?? And no jobs for traders like, builders,plumbers ,ect. I have just sold a property 40 grand under the value price, but the lucky person who has bought this will gain in the next 7yrs when the market goes up "again", so I think it is the right time to buy in spain now, for the better deals you can get, and then "when" the property market goes up again which it will ? the people who buy now will gain !!! And as for work people here are in and out off work because there is NONE .......but after living in England for 48yr what have you to loose?? At least spain has got the SUN and beach's more than we got in England, I think people should stop putting moving to spain as a bad move!!!
At least I agree withe sun bit! Do you whistle in the dark?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is a major property crash in England as you claim and certainly not anything like what has been witnessed in Spain. Regional variances do exist.

Spain has greater levels of unemployment than the UK. Spain does have the sun and the beaches I agree. If you don't need to work then now may well be a good time to invest, as you say "what have you got to loose(sic)"

Spain is a great place for people to live that have a few bob and don't need to work. For many others it can turn into a nightmare.

I am not trying to put anyone off, including yourself, from pursuing your goal.

You are fortunate, you are a cash buyer and you don't need a job as I believe you already have one caring for your son.

All I would advise is that you check carefully what benefits you currently receive are exportable.

Last edited by stuboy; Sep 15th 2013 at 5:24 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy

Spain is a great place for people to live that have a few bob and don't need to work. For many others it can turn into a nightmare.
Been saying the same thing for years. If you have sufficient money not to have to worry about exchange rates, sufficient not to have to get a job or ask about benefits, sufficient not to have to worry that you can't sell your house if it doesn't work out, then yeh, it ticks the boxes. IMHO, Spain is not the place to be if you are struggling financially, sun or no sun.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Those looking to relocate because they don't like where they are ......... are likely to be disappointed. Those who have a positive outlook are more able to cope with the stress and hassle of relocating.

If the only reason is sunshine, buy a sun bed.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:33 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to point out that Playa Flamenca and Torrevieja are two quite different places, their centres are around six miles apart. Also, Playa Flamenca is around 30 years old, Torrevieja several hundred years.

One quite interesting fact is that Playa Flamenca and the whole of Orihuela Costa is becoming a property hot spot. Local estate agents are opening offices along the coast because properties are starting to sell again, mainly to expats.

It's probably because the houses are cheap and were built within the last 30 years for Northern Europeans, quads, or quarter detacheds as they call them locally.

And the infrastructure is now mostly in place with a supportive council. A normal three bedroom, two bathroom house with a communal swimming pool and loads of shops on your doorstep costs around 90,000 Euro, or 450 Euros a month to rent.

I'm not an estate agent and I don't live there.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Sunbeds are not good for you ??? Haha, the way I see it is its 2half hrs away on a plane, its takes me longer to vist my eldest son who is a teacher an lives in Leicester by train, so I don't call it relocating as such, your just buying another property and selling your old one !! Like you do most off your life? Relocating in my eyes is like my nephew did going to the Australia and leaving all your friends and family, I no everyone doesn't think like me but its just another chapter in your live ?? I say try it , or live to regret it when your to old
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:47 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
A normal three bedroom, two bathroom house with a communal swimming pool and loads of shops on your doorstep costs around 90,000 Euro, or 450 Euros a month to rent.

I'm not an estate agent and I don't live there.
Probably cost 80,000 next year
Old Sep 15th 2013, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Thinking of buying in Torrevieja

I agree with HBG , and if more people start to realize that playa flamenca and other area's will jump on board , why do you think all the Russians are in there like a shot " because property is so cheap " and I has to go up again no matter what....they use there brain investment that's all.....well I want some off that haha
Old Sep 15th 2013, 6:08 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Probably cost 80,000 next year
That would not surprise me.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sunbeds are not good for you ??? Haha, the way I see it is its 2half hrs away on a plane, its takes me longer to vist my eldest son who is a teacher an lives in Leicester by train, so I don't call it relocating as such, your just buying another property and selling your old one !! Like you do most off your life? Relocating in my eyes is like my nephew did going to the Australia and leaving all your friends and family, I no everyone doesn't think like me but its just another chapter in your live ?? I say try it , or live to regret it when your to old
It sounds to me like you have made your mind up and no amount of counsel will dissuade you.

Just get on with it and bear in mind that 'England' may not have sun and beaches (as you would like them) Nor does it have the jobs for trades(sic) according to you. All 'England' seems to have that you want is a benefit cheque.

People have tried to be helpful

Last edited by stuboy; Sep 15th 2013 at 6:50 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuboy
It sounds to me like you have made your mind up and no amount of counsel will dissuade you.

Just get on with it.
Indeed, and just in case there is any shadow of doubt, she's glossing over the bad bits. Property in Playa Flamenca likely to make you rich, I don't think so, certainly not in her lifetime. It's supply and demand, there are ~1.5 million unsold properties in Spain, plus there is only a limited demand for places like PF. The fact that property is so cheap there should tell you something, people are desperate to sell, maybe you should question why so much is for sale and at such a low price. Plus I wish you luck if all your neighbours are Russians, my son has just come back from Cyprus, a place he has visited many times, but he said the holiday was spoilt by all the Russians that seem to be taking over the hotels. Buena suerte.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 9:17 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Plus I wish you luck if all your neighbours are Russians, my son has just come back from Cyprus, a place he has visited many times, but he said the holiday was spoilt by all the Russians that seem to be taking over the hotels. Buena suerte.
I have heard that complaint from someone who went to Turkey. Same in Puerto Banus too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.