Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying in Torrevieja

Thinking of buying in Torrevieja

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Thinking of buying in Torrevieja

Originally Posted by agoreira
I certainly wouldn't advocate buying, at least not until the OP has tried it for a year or two and decided that's where they want to live permanently. These are strange times, property still dropping and not expected to rise for some time, she might find it's not for her after all, for many the move didn't turn out as they expected. The reason there are loads of properties for rent in these sort of Brit strongholds is many people want out and finding it impossible to sell. Rent is of course dead money, but if it's for you, it won't be forever. Listening to some on another forum, being trapped somewhere you don't want to be because you can't sell doesn't sound like a great life to me.
Its funny you know, we go through different stages, when to buy when not to, where is the market low?? Cyprus has shown clearly that there is no guarantee of safety for our money in a bank! I would have thought anyone with over 100,000 in a bank would be better investing that either in a home they can use in Spain, or a property to rent out, even a UK property would be better than keeping the money in a bank! I dont see a problem in the OP who says she is to be here long term buying a home in Spain if that is where she wants to be, how much would she pay in rent over 10 years??? A short term rental until she finds what she wants is not a bad idea! Most people looking to buy have already spent quite a few years visiting on holiday!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo the sailor
Its funny you know, we go through different stages, when to buy when not to, where is the market low?? Cyprus has shown clearly that there is no guarantee of safety for our money in a bank! I would have thought anyone with over 100,000 in a bank would be better investing that either in a home they can use in Spain, or a property to rent out, even a UK property would be better than keeping the money in a bank! I dont see a problem in the OP who says she is to be here long term buying a home in Spain if that is where she wants to be, how much would she pay in rent over 10 years??? A short term rental until she finds what she wants is not a bad idea! Most people looking to buy have already spent quite a few years visiting on holiday!
It's immaterial how much she would pay over 10 years, as I said, try it for a year or so, then if it's for you, buy a place. I was reading recently a site in Valencia selling a nice property that was selling for over €400K(well it wasn't selling, hence the price) it's now on the market for around €160K. That was a great investment! Everyone that moves out to Spain does so because that's where they think they want to be, but the reality doesn't always match the hype, living full time is very different to holidaying, hence a lot that can sell up and return do so. You buy all you want, my humble advice to any kids of mine would be definitely don't buy at this moment in time.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Pablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the roughPablo the sailor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by agoreira
It's immaterial how much she would pay over 10 years, as I said, try it for a year or so, then if it's for you, buy a place. I was reading recently a site in Valencia selling a nice property that was selling for over €400K(well it wasn't selling, hence the price) it's now on the market for around €160K. That was a great investment! Everyone that moves out to Spain does so because that's where they think they want to be, but the reality doesn't always match the hype, living full time is very different to holidaying, hence a lot that can sell up and return do so. You buy all you want, my humble advice to any kids of mine would be definitely don't buy at this moment in time.
I think the drop you speak of from 400,000 to 160,000 euros happened in many parts of Spain, however, the % drop of 240,000 to that unfortunate soul is good news if you are lucky enough to be buying at 160,000!! i would not be buying in Spain as a property speculator, but I WOULD if I wanted to buy a lifestyle and get away from the crap weather, lets be honest, if you bought that 160,000 euros property you speak of and enjoyed it for 10 years you really cant go far wrong, one mans recesion is another mans paradise!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I think the drop you speak of from 400,000 to 160,000 euros happened in many parts of Spain
Unfortunately not, this kind of drop has only happened in the least desirable areas. i.e. some parts of the Costas, normally a long way from the cities, the satellite towns way out from Madrid and maybe the very dodgy neighbourhoods

In most parts of the major cities, prices have dropped perhaps 20-30%
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:33 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Formentera

We bought last October a 3 year old unused apartment for 1/3 its original price. Remember the good stuff goes first and the crap will remain.
We are happy to be part of the new wave of buyers that will lift this great destination from the financial gloom. Probably with the Russians and Scandinavians leading the way.

Roll on 11th April as on way to Formentera del Segura - warmer than N. Ireland.
You must be correct. Estate Agents are saying exactly the same
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Welll, much as the doom merchants dislike it, there is movement in the market, and before anyone asks, I own 3 spain properties, one comercial one is on the market (details in the correct part of the forum) the 2 domestic properties we have owned since 1992 & 1998 we are not selling & are doing just fine renting one and living in the other! some people are picking up some real bargains, they are happy with what they are able to buy at a price far lower than yesteryear!! I feel sorry for those who bought at the ¨top¨ of the market, it happens sometimes (it happened to people in the UK as well)......but there ARE good deals to be picked up in Spain if you look around and take your time!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Welll, much as the doom merchants dislike it, there is movement in the market, and before anyone asks, I own 3 spain properties, one comercial one is on the market (details in the correct part of the forum) the 2 domestic properties we have owned since 1992 & 1998 we are not selling & are doing just fine renting one and living in the other! some people are picking up some real bargains, they are happy with what they are able to buy at a price far lower than yesteryear!! I feel sorry for those who bought at the ¨top¨ of the market, it happens sometimes (it happened to people in the UK as well)......but there ARE good deals to be picked up in Spain if you look around and take your time!
If you bought in the 90s then you have no worries at all!

My ex-landlord in Benalmadena bought his flat for 50k in the mid-90s and then was moaning that he couldnt sell it at 400k

I suggested that he may want to try something closer to his purchase price
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:00 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

There is movement in the markets and those who bought more than ten years ago are benefitting from the low Pound/Euro rates when they sell.

Those who bought at the top of the market can't sell without taking a considerable hit and often hang on in the forlorn hope that the market will recover. It might, but would seem to be against the odds at the moment.

The ones I feel sorry for are the ones who can't go below a certain price, for whatever reason, and are trying to sit it out, for years in some cases. I know of several cases where one of the spouses has got fed up waiting and returned to the UK, alone.

The initial plan was for the other spouse to follow as soon as the property in Spain was sold. But as the months turned into years, the relationship didn't survive. One or the other would receive the dreaded 'Dear John', just as though they were locked up in prison.

i suppose, metaphorically speaking, they are.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

La Marina Urb has ample of both rental and purchase options. Also, it seems to be central to a lot of many areas of interest. Plus, it has all the amenities you could every want....New Expat or Professional. 20mintues drive from the Urb to Torrevieja...

DSB.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The OP should also consider Playa Flameca or La Zenia, close to torre and both are ob the coast and have plenty of shopping, in particular La Zenia with the new Zenia Boulevard.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:59 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Buy or rent. Life is about choices.

Considering the number marraiges which end in divorce, one could say it's much cheaper to live together?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Helen Ireland is an unknown quantity at this point

I would need somewhere that I could walk into Torrevieja in less than 20 minutes really as I don't drive. I think La Zenia and Playa Flamenca are further.

Is San Louis, La Siesta, Toretta 111 nearer to Torrevieja town and what kind of areas are these? Are they large urbanisations.

Sorry about all the questions but I would like to have some idea before I visit.

Thanks
helen
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 11:15 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Ireland
I would need somewhere that I could walk into Torrevieja in less than 20 minutes really as I don't drive. I think La Zenia and Playa Flamenca are further.

Is San Louis, La Siesta, Toretta 111 nearer to Torrevieja town and what kind of areas are these? Are they large urbanisations.

Sorry about all the questions but I would like to have some idea before I visit.

Thanks
helen
It is a very long hike from all of those urbanisations to Torre town centre. You could do it on a bicycle. There is an excellent cheap bus service between Alicante, Torre and Cartagena. You might want to consider somewhere close to the N322? This would give you easy and cheap transport to Torre and the airports at Alicante or Murcia.

I would suggest a town like Guardamar may meet your requirements better than any of those urbanisations you have mentioned.

Last edited by missile; Apr 3rd 2013 at 11:27 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 11:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Ireland

Thanks
helen

There is a bus service from La Zenia and Playa Flamenca to Torrevieja, but when we didn't have a car we used Taxis, were quite cheap, and quick service.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Ireland is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, but I do like to walk and I am quite fit. How long would it take to walk briskly from these urbanisations to town?

Helen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.