Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking about giving spain a go.......

Thinking about giving spain a go.......

Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

donnyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about giving spain a go.......

HI i have been wondering for a while about giving spain ago for an experience for a couple of years say before heading back to the uk. I am comeing to the end of a college course and am not to fussed about univercity so would like to end my teen year doing something alittle different. Is there any imformation any one could give me please on such thing as visas?? is it easy to get work ?? which would be mainly looking to work in tourist industry.Is it easy to find accomodation as would be happy enought to live in bedsit/caravan? I am primerally interested in say marbella and the main expat areas as my spanish isnt great but i would defignately be prepared to work on it before went. I am also aware of how the bottem has fallen out of the econamy, what sort of affect has this had and is it likely to by recovering by the time id want to be going in say a year or so ?

Any imformation greatly recieved
many thanks Josh
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about giving spain a go.......

Well, as I'm sure everyone will tell you .... the employment situation in Spain is not good.

One bit of good news ..... as Spain is in the EU, you dont need a visa to work here. You just get a job (if you can) and come here.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by donnyboy
HI i have been wondering for a while about giving spain ago for an experience for a couple of years say before heading back to the uk. I am comeing to the end of a college course and am not to fussed about univercity so would like to end my teen year doing something alittle different. Is there any imformation any one could give me please on such thing as visas?? is it easy to get work ?? which would be mainly looking to work in tourist industry.Is it easy to find accomodation as would be happy enought to live in bedsit/caravan? I am primerally interested in say marbella and the main expat areas as my spanish isnt great but i would defignately be prepared to work on it before went. I am also aware of how the bottem has fallen out of the econamy, what sort of affect has this had and is it likely to by recovering by the time id want to be going in say a year or so ?

many thanks Josh

You say your Spanish isn't great?? I'd go back to my English books if I were you..
Old Jan 17th 2011, 3:56 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You missed accommodation

I presumed that no-one is that bad and it was a wind-up
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
You say your Spanish isn't great?? I'd go back to my English books if I were you..
2/10 for teachers marking. If you're going to go to the trouble...

But, this is a problem for school and (even) university leavers in the UK. Very few are taught the grammar and syntax of their own language (or, even spelling - some teachers are told not to mark down in Geography (for example)) because of spelling mistakes! This is a huge disadvantage when it comes to learning a second language.

That said, hands on talking is possibly the quickest way to learn. Learn the spelling later.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
2/10 for teachers marking. If you're going to go to the trouble...

But, this is a problem for school and (even) university leavers in the UK. Very few are taught the grammar and syntax of their own language (or, even spelling - some teachers are told not to mark down in Geography (for example)) because of spelling mistakes! This is a huge disadvantage when it comes to learning a second language.

That said, hands on talking is possibly the quickest way to learn. Learn the spelling later.
Are you still lost?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You missed accommodation

I find that "accommodation" is actually a very common error I know I didn't mark the paper to the best of my ability, just wanted to make a point, a wind-up point
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:15 pm
Senior Moment

Definate is supposed to be the most common one ....... DOH!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Are you still lost?
Dunno. It appears my English syntax is all over the shop though.

Trying to decide if rural Catalunya suits me for a base. Not sure it does. Far too cold (this time of year) and far too quiet!

Off to Africa to start another walk just as soon as I've sorted furniture removals/storage and completed a mountain of work Probably March.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:22 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
Dunno. It appears my English syntax is all over the shop though.

Trying to decide if rural Catalunya suits me for a base. Not sure it does. Far too cold (this time of year) and far too quiet!

Off to Africa to start another walk just as soon as I've sorted furniture removals/storage and completed a mountain of work Probably March.
March? Why dont you just walk?

Where in Africa? Somewhere dangerous?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You missed accommodation

Ditto, I choose to ignore it as well! But if she's being picky, last time I looked "affect" was a verb not a noun, think it should be "effect".

bottem has fallen out of the econamy, what sort of affect has this had and is it likely
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
March? Why dont you just walk?
Boom tsh!

Where in Africa? Somewhere dangerous?
Senegal, Mauritania and Morocco. I have given Al Qeda fair warning of my arrival.

Trying to trace ancient human migration route theories. Walking by night - following the stars. Well spooky
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

linjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the question asked........

Try www.seasonworkers.com for info on jobs abroad in tourist sector. You will need to get a move on as most companies are busy interviewing just now. Suggest you have a look at the camping industry e.g. Eurocamp,Keycamp(both same company trading as Holidaybreak) Canvas, Thomson Al Fresco to name a few of the biggest. They would take you on without experience or language skills and provide accommodation!

Might not get Spain as they place all over Europe, France probably most likely. If you post a message on the forum you should get plenty of advice and information.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnyboy

many thanks Josh
Try http://www.wwoof.org/ , you wont get paid but you will get food and lodgings

also http://www.helpx.net/index.asp

Last edited by Rotor; Jan 18th 2011 at 12:57 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

legal_eagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Donnyboy!

Well, yes it's true the economy has taken a bit of a dive but if you are willing to work hard and are good with people then you can still find LOADS of jobs in the service industry around marbella/puerto banus area!

This type of job in marbella in the summer is a LAUGH and as long as you aren't looking for anything too permanent (i.e seasonal work) you can earn yourself a good bit of money as the cost of living here is soo cheap (compared to UK).

First get yourself into a hostel while you are looking for work and then when that's sorted, rent yourself out a room in a flat or house share! www.surinenglish.com lists adverts for Brits re jobs and flats here and is my essential read. I came here in 2008 and have never looked back I worked in Marbella and had the time of my life (although there are more young people in Puerto Banus if you go there for work)

All the best and go for it!

P.S don't need VISAs only an NIE when you get there (like our NI number) If you have any questions just ask!

Oh and you may find something here long term too - I know a few young people who have come out here and found permanent work...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.