Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Old Jan 24th 2020, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

HelenH70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Hi my partner and myself want to move out to Spain before the end of the transition period. What would we need to do to be able to do this legally. I have a son that’s lived in Malaga province for 5 1/2 years. Many thanks in advance
Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:41 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Welcome to the forum.
Constantly keep up o date with what is posted in the link below. Plus search this forum and watch the official social media channels of the British embassy in Spain.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain
Old Jan 25th 2020, 10:06 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

There are many posts with details of residencia requirements, these may vary a little depending on where you want to locate.

I don't know requirements for Malaga, but a phone call / e mail / visit by your son to the nearest town hall would give you all the info you need.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the official spanish website Lamoncloa. There you will see the latest official update to what happens with Brexit
Old Jan 25th 2020, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you for advice. What is the family entitlement? Would having a son there allow me to move to Spain? I can’t seem to find any online that tells me the family rules. Many thanks.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenH70
Thank you for advice. What is the family entitlement? Would having a son there allow me to move to Spain? I can’t seem to find any online that tells me the family rules. Many thanks.
At the moment , while UK remain part of EU can go under your own steam. Later presume the procedure will be similar to other non-EU countries.

If he is a Spanish citizen, not so difficult. If you are over 65 for a foreigner more complicated, need to demonstrate that your son has the economic resources to support you and that during at least the last year has been sending funds to you so showing he can support you.
Look for information on "Reagrupacion familiar "

Last edited by Loafing Along; Jan 25th 2020 at 11:15 am. Reason: Corrected content
Old Jan 25th 2020, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you. I’ll be 50 years old and sble to work so I assume that would make things easier. If I didn’t make the move before December 31st 2020 would having my son there still make it easier to do. Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2020, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenH70
Thank you. I’ll be 50 years old and sble to work so I assume that would make things easier. If I didn’t make the move before December 31st 2020 would having my son there still make it easier to do. Thanks
I am assuming after 2020 the rules for Non-EU citizens will apply to UK and so commented on what happens today for Non-EU citizens. The Spanish government looks for a degree of dependency when a Spanish resident requests that a family member comes to live with them/ join them in Spain . That is demonstrated by the Spanish resident , in your case your son, sending money to support you. The logic being if he has to support you abroad he can do it also inSpain.
Best to make move before December 2020 but you will need to check all the requirements - enough income to support yourself ( not be a burden on the State ), private healthcare for a year and so on
Old Jan 25th 2020, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

You will also have to take a Spanish driving test if not already a resident and having started the process of exchange by 31st Jan 2020. You will have 9 months from this date to arrange a test or you will as a Spanish resident not be able to drive with your UK licence.

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/permisos-...k/index.shtml#

this is the link to the Spanish site.

and below the UK.gov one which still states you can exchange up to 9 months after brexit day. Im hoping that the Uk one is correct (as we move in July) but I aint holding my breath....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-...cence-exchange
Old Jan 25th 2020, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Barriej for your reply, but I’ve not started that process as still I’m still in UK, this has been a dream of mine for many years and I guess life and my children’s lives stopped me doing it sooner. I’m just hoping that there’s a way of being able to make the move over there and then make the required changes, but it seems driving may be something that I’ll have to give up
Old Jan 25th 2020, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Another thing I wanted to ask is my British passport expires in August 2021 so say I came to Spain to live in November or beginning of December 2020 what would I need/ or be best to do about my passport i.e renew before I came? And I’m getting married in August 2020 so if I made the move and my partner stays in England for a while to sort out our property etc would the fact that we were married enable him to come over to live at a later date after the transition period? Many thanks
Old Jan 26th 2020, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The government web site mentioned earlier in the thread is what you need to give you the answers. Especially now that the withdrawal agreement has been signed off so to say. If you go to that site you can sign up for automatic updates which I get more or less weekly.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I also want to ask if you can use your British bank account in Spain?
Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can use your uk bank account if you mean credit card or transfers. Obviously you cant use it as proof of income etc. If you move to spain you will need a spanish account for pretty much all Spanish transactions. Technically you arent meant to have a uk account after you stop residing in uk. That means you cant open a new uk account with a spanish address but there appears to be no problem changing your address to s Spanish one. After Brexit we dont know what the situation may be with respect to all this
Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, so I wouldn’t be able to keep my current account and change the branch to a Spanish one? I mean assuming they have the same bank there,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.