They're back.

Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:38 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default They're back.

They’re all back – the tiny ants, the giant cucas, the mozzies, the geckos to eat them up, the hornets to build their nests, and a legion of other crawlies to shake us up.

My thick-skinned wife went into the pool today at 21 degrees, I’m going to wait a few more days.

The browning time is here again, my legs are thinner than they were last year, my belly is bigger, and I’m sorting out the shorts I’m going to live in for the next six months.

Sure, I worry about earthquakes and all sorts of other things, I follow the currency markets with a sense of trepidation, but if they want to get me out of here, I’m not going to go quietly.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: They're back.

Originally Posted by HBG
the giant cucas
Curiously, this cuca so bigger is not a european specie. Is american, I don't know how was introduced in Spain. I know this bug 3 or 4 years ago. I had never seen before

And like all cockroaches, it is tropical, so it is not cold weather, and in Europe is only in areas where summer is torrid. That is when appears

It is particularly disgusting and one of the reasons why I hate the summer is this bug
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
They’re all back – the tiny ants, the giant cucas, the mozzies, the geckos to eat them up, the hornets to build their nests, and a legion of other crawlies to shake us up.

My thick-skinned wife went into the pool today at 21 degrees, I’m going to wait a few more days.

The browning time is here again, my legs are thinner than they were last year, my belly is bigger, and I’m sorting out the shorts I’m going to live in for the next six months.

Sure, I worry about earthquakes and all sorts of other things, I follow the currency markets with a sense of trepidation, but if they want to get me out of here, I’m not going to go quietly.
Yep they are back in force!

I killed seven of the very large ants in my kitchen tonight, one of them was drinking the cats milk.
I've got spiders coming inside now the doors are open and the fire ants are there in great numbers in the garden.
I'm prepared though.....I armed myself with an assortment of sprays yesterday, so any that try to invade my patch they will meet a swift end!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:51 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=megmet;9295586]Yep they are back in force!

I killed seven of the very large ants in my kitchen tonight, one of them was drinking the cats milk.
I've got spiders coming inside now the doors are open and the fire ants are there in great numbers in the garden.
I'm prepared though.....I armed myself with an assortment of sprays yesterday, so any that try to invade my patch they will meet a swift end![/QUOTE

To help out a fellow insomniac, I use a ZUM spray for cucas and it kills just about everything, apart from the ants which don’t like Domestos. I wish I could say that I’m more relaxed about the pests after many years in Spain, but it’s not true, I jump when I see them.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:25 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HBG;9295603]
Originally Posted by megmet
Yep they are back in force!

I'm prepared though.....I armed myself with an assortment of sprays yesterday, so any that try to invade my patch they will meet a swift end![/QUOTE

To help out a fellow insomniac, I use a ZUM spray for cucas and it kills just about everything, apart from the ants which don’t like Domestos. I wish I could say that I’m more relaxed about the pests after many years in Spain, but it’s not true, I jump when I see them.
Hell's teeth! You have fire ants? That's beyond a joke. I don't give a rat's arse HOW big the cucas are, until they get big enough to do me physical harm, but fire ants are a joke too far.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG;9295603
[COLOR="Red"
To help out a fellow insomniac[/COLOR], I use a ZUM spray for cucas and it kills just about everything, apart from the ants which don’t like Domestos. I wish I could say that I’m more relaxed about the pests after many years in Spain, but it’s not true, I jump when I see them.

I've never seen ZUM spray, perhaps it's a regional thing?
Fortunately we don't see cucas here, but being surrounded by citrus and olive trees we do get a large number of everything else, especially carpenter ants which do like to nest around the olives!
If I see them coming across the terrace then a kettle of boiling water seems to work wonders, I try not to use bleach as I have to think of my cat and don't want her walking through it.

I adore living in the campo, but I will never get used to the pests, and worse still I've developed an irrational response to ants.....ever since I woke up one morning to find a carpenter ant busy cutting a semi circle out of my big toe nail, it really freaked me out.....
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=bil;9296043]
Originally Posted by HBG

Hell's teeth! You have fire ants? That's beyond a joke. I don't give a rat's arse HOW big the cucas are, until they get big enough to do me physical harm, but fire ants are a joke too far.
Don't I just know it!
Some serious spraying will be going on in the garden over the next few days!
I guess it's also time to start putting the cats dish inside another filled with water, if I don't do that in the summer months we get a long trail of small ants... the little blighters... right from the door across the dining room and into the kitchen to her dishes.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:37 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=megmet;9296368]
Originally Posted by bil

Don't I just know it!
Some serious spraying will be going on in the garden over the next few days!
I guess it's also time to start putting the cats dish inside another filled with water, if I don't do that in the summer months we get a long trail of small ants... the little blighters... right from the door across the dining room and into the kitchen to her dishes.
No, I mean real fire ants. I thought they were in South America and moving north all the time. Are they in Spain now?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 4:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bil;9296400]
Originally Posted by megmet

No, I mean real fire ants. I thought they were in South America and moving north all the time. Are they in Spain now?
Apparently one or two have made the trip at least.

http://www.jiaci.org/issues/vol17issue01/8.pdf

I thought there were lots of species of the evil little blighters, so maybe there could be more of the less lethal ones.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 5:48 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I watched the little terrier dog sitting in an elevated position from where he could keep and eye on the car and front gate, when a large green lizard walked past him, quite slowly. The dog shook his head as if in disbelief and then went after it.

The lizard speeded up and just squeezed under the gate in time, with the dog scratching at the gate and still shaking his head.

I’ve seen those large lizards in the garden before, they look beautiful, but are shy and fast. I don’t know what they feed on but I hope its cockroaches.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 6:37 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
I watched the little terrier dog sitting in an elevated position from where he could keep and eye on the car and front gate, when a large green lizard walked past him, quite slowly. The dog shook his head as if in disbelief and then went after it.

The lizard speeded up and just squeezed under the gate in time, with the dog scratching at the gate and still shaking his head.

I’ve seen those large lizards in the garden before, they look beautiful, but are shy and fast. I don’t know what they feed on but I hope its cockroaches.
I love lizards. We have psandromis and geckos in the garden, and eyed lizards in the village. I'd love to have them in the garden as I think they are gorgeous.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 6:37 pm
bil
Banned

[QUOTE=Dick Dasterdly;9296451]
Originally Posted by bil

Apparently one or two have made the trip at least.

http://www.jiaci.org/issues/vol17issue01/8.pdf

I thought there were lots of species of the evil little blighters, so maybe there could be more of the less lethal ones.
Couldn't open the damn link!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 7:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Download Foxit Reader it`s free HERE
Old Apr 10th 2011, 7:34 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Download Foxit Reader it`s free HERE
Which one(s) should I download?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 7:43 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bil;9296613]
Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Apparently a woman from Malaga was suffering from anaphylaxis,whatever that may be, first ever case in Europe, after being stung by fire ants which had been imported with a load of timber from S.America.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.