Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there no RSPCA in Spain?

Is there no RSPCA in Spain?

Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:10 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there no RSPCA in Spain?

One thing ive noticed since moving to spain is how bad they are with animals. Ive seen a few things which have really made me cringe and think gee poor things.

Firstly is the amount of stray cats about, people literally just turf them out or abandon them if they cant keep them anymore. Nicer people put them down. There seems to be no animal shelters and the ones that are there are always full.

Horse drawn carriages doing tours round busy city centres like Fuengirola and Marbella, and ive also seen drivers purposly beep their horns at them and rev engines as overtaking them. Saw one sorta flip out in Fuengirola the other week and it took the guy some time to get the horse back under control.

Up the cable car from Benalmadena they have eagles chained to the floor, they're all there trying to fly and they cant.

Was at the Estepona feria and they had a live merry go round. Ponys walking round in circles carrying people, with huge things bolted to them and flashing lights everywhere.

All just so so so wrong. Especially the latter.

I know other countries have worse things but its just a few things you see that just make you cringe and you feel bad for being powerless to do anything about it.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:20 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there no RSPCA in Spain?

There is something like the RSPCA I'm sure. Brisca will help you out when she's back on-line mate.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

It breaks my heart seeing the suffering. There is a new law out but I donĀ“t think the Police are interested. They have a circus on in Chiclana at the moment advertising "Bears". You would think this would now be illegal.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

There is no equivilant of the RSPCA in Spain. It's one of the things I hated when I lived there.

For carriage horses you can try http://www.ilph.org/ Get piccies if you can. I work with a carriage horse rescue charity in the US and photos do always help. A letter to your local British paper would help. It's tourists using the carriages and they need to be educated on what life is like for the horses.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew, you could try one of these guys...

http://www.addaong.org/

http://www.aaahelps.com/
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:55 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

To report any cases of animal cruelty, you can make a denuncia via email to SEPRONA, which is the relevant dept of the Guardia Civil, [email protected]
The Refugio del Burrito in Fuente de Piedra (Malaga province) will also investigate any cases of cruelty involving donkeys, mules, horses - they have for instance been responsible for the twice yearly veterinary health check and licensing of the Mijas donkey "taxis". www.elrefugiodelburrito.com
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:57 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
To report any cases of animal cruelty, you can make a denuncia via email to SEPRONA, which is the relevant dept of the Guardia Civil, [email protected]
The Refugio del Burrito in Fuente de Piedra (Malaga province) will also investigate any cases of cruelty involving donkeys, mules, horses - they have for instance been responsible for the twice yearly veterinary health check and licensing of the Mijas donkey "taxis". www.elrefugiodelburrito.com

I contacted them about two horses and they were not able to do anything.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:26 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
Really? Was it because they were horses, not donkeys maybe?
P'raps they only deal with donks and mules. Did you try Seprona?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The ILPH has a fair amount of clout in Spain, should have called them.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:03 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Hi ya, I was going to also suggest the refugio del burrito, they are lovely people, have a great place at fuente de piedra and I am sure would do what they could and maybe advise you who else to contact.
Luv Eve
xx
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The ILPH has a fair amount of clout in Spain, should have called them.
should I
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:00 am
Straw Man.

should I
I make a comment about the ILPH, Hillybilly is sarcastic, yet its me who you chose to reply to.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I make a comment about the ILPH, Hillybilly is sarcastic, yet its me who you chose to reply to.
well it was because they were horses and not donkeys. Thats what they said when I contacted them.

Anyway it doesnt matter, Spain has a problem with animals and cruelty if you want to live there its something you have to get used to living with, as its their culture and you wouldn't want to try and change their way of life.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:15 am
Structural Surveyor

Er, when was I sarcastic?!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:16 am

Er, when was I sarcastic?!
Thats exactly what I thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.