Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there a hierarchy of foreigners in Spain

Is there a hierarchy of foreigners in Spain

Old Dec 27th 2019, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is there a hierarchy of foreigners in Spain

Are all residents or visitors from other European countries treated the same in Spain or are certain nationalities liked more than others because of historical, religious or cultural reasons?

For example, how to Brits compare to Yanks, Dutch, Italians, Germans, Russians and Greeks?
Old Dec 27th 2019, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a hierarchy of foreigners in Spain

Originally Posted by m2m2012
Are all residents or visitors from other European countries treated the same in Spain or are certain nationalities liked more than others because of historical, religious or cultural reasons?

For example, how to Brits compare to Yanks, Dutch, Italians, Germans, Russians and Greeks?
I don't believe that any nationality is treated any differently to others. Myself and my wife (being British) have always been treated with the utmost respect since coming to live here in Benidorm 5 years ago. There is much said about "brits in Spain" and I agree with most of the comments but if you are committed to making Spain your home and treating and showing respect to the local residents then you get that commitment in return.

No I don't think that there is any hierarchy with any nationality here in Spain.

Steve
Old Dec 28th 2019, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Steve.

On a side note - some Spanish are not so keen on South Americans, they say their Spanish is old fashioned and generally seem to look down on them a bit, mind you they also criticise Spanish from Andalucia and Murcia for poor language skills and education.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Spending 4 months a year in Spain for the last 11 years and surrounded by citizens form most of Europe and beyond i can't say I've noticed anyone being treated differently.

Brits sometimes think the more direct way of talking that many of our European friends including Spaniards have can sound a bit off, of course this is just a perception, not saying please and thank you before or after a sentence every time is just not what they do, the Spanish are actually a very warm welcoming people for the most part to most foreigners.
Old Dec 28th 2019, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico
Agree with Steve.

On a side note - some Spanish are not so keen on South Americans, they say their Spanish is old fashioned and generally seem to look down on them a bit, mind you they also criticise Spanish from Andalucia and Murcia for poor language skills and education.
I've heard about that, there was an incident on a bus not long ago (see link below), but I don't get it...don't most Spanish speaking Latin Americans have at least some Spanish ancestry?
https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/11/06...17_378904.html

Old Dec 29th 2019, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Well I do not claim to be an expert on social history but (having literally lived with the Spanish) maybe they feel some guilt about the way they treated the natives of South American countries when they were part of the Spanish empire (probably not much different to the Brits in other regions) then they were grateful (or at least the constructors who made fortunes were) that they arrived to work in the building boom.

When that collapsed the immigrants wanted social benefits and help which was not always forthcoming and indeed at one time the Spanish government offered South Americans financial assistance to return to their own countries (where they were not always welcomed home - you left, so why come back?)

I have known some and they always seem like decent people and are known for being hard-working, religious and take good care of their old people. And many are employed as carers for the Spanish old folk.

But they are still looked down on by some Spanish as ignorant, badly spoken and should not be here. Which again maybe Brits can relate to in the UK.

Bottom line - human nature?

I think the Spanish see Europeans as well educated and rich and therefore good for the economy and most have good language skills the Dutch etc always (in my experience) seem to pick up Spanish (better than many Brits) but we get an easier ride than South Americans.

Anyway the above is just my general thoughts based on 19 years living and trying to integrate and experience. It is not meant as any criticism of anybody.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

I personally have never experienced anything of that nature in Spain.

It's not quite the cultural hotpot that is London, but it's getting there slowly in facilitating cultural foodstores in supermarkets.

I've had the unpleasant experiencing of a northern British family that felt it was acceptable to bark ''WE. WANT. BEERS. AND (some snacks and food I can't recall). OK??''

The poor girl serving them credit to her, could speak a little English but not her mother tongue clearly and the accent was throwing her off.

I apologised ashamedly for their moronic behaviour and ordered the foods for them. They still had the gaul to huff and bluff that these people couldn't speak any English........................ OK whilst it helps with tourism, what right do you have to be an ass to locals?

I've been mistaken for being a Moroccan or Mexican a couple of times, but once they realise i'm not a local/national, they are a bit more forgiving and understanding to what i'm trying to say, though I speak well conversationally. Generally Spaniards are welcoming and warm beautiful people.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Re above - saw this article headline in El Pais this morning:-

'New research shows Neanderthals liked to spend summer in southern Spain'

Yes, I thought and some still do.....
Old Jan 10th 2020, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breakfasttea
I personally have never experienced anything of that nature in Spain.

It's not quite the cultural hotpot that is London, but it's getting there slowly in facilitating cultural foodstores in supermarkets.

I've had the unpleasant experiencing of a northern British family that felt it was acceptable to bark ''WE. WANT. BEERS. AND (some snacks and food I can't recall). OK??''

The poor girl serving them credit to her, could speak a little English but not her mother tongue clearly and the accent was throwing her off.

I apologised ashamedly for their moronic behaviour and ordered the foods for them. They still had the gaul to huff and bluff that these people couldn't speak any English........................ OK whilst it helps with tourism, what right do you have to be an ass to locals?

I've been mistaken for being a Moroccan or Mexican a couple of times, but once they realise i'm not a local/national, they are a bit more forgiving and understanding to what i'm trying to say, though I speak well conversationally. Generally Spaniards are welcoming and warm beautiful people.
would agree with that.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breakfasttea

I apologised ashamedly for their moronic behaviour and ordered the foods for them.
​​​​​​What do you class as Northern? North of Watford Gap, Midlands, Yorkshire,Lancashire , Geordies Scots? There are good and bad people from all areas all walks of life and all countries including Spain. To simply infer that every one from the North is ignorant from one incident you witnessed is beyond me and insulting in general to people from the North of England. I also would never take it upon myself to apologize for someone else's behaviour I'm only responsible for my own manners and conduct. I myself have seen similar from people who spoke with what I would describe as a southern accent maybe even London accent but I don't say everyone south of Watford Gap are ignorant. I'm a Yorkshire man and yes speak with Yorkshire Accent but I try and speak to people with respect and here in Spain in limited Spanish. One cap doesn't fit all.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually that’s correct too. There’s are many ignorant southerners also.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lmj2018
Actually that’s correct too. There’s are many ignorant southerners also.
seems to me that there is a hierarchy of foreigners that I wasn't aware of and that poster of the post I quoted sees themselve at the top of it. Argh well I'll just pop down the shop in my flat cap with my whippet and gets some tripe for my tea.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
​​​​​​What do you class as Northern? North of Watford Gap, Midlands, Yorkshire,Lancashire , Geordies Scots? There are good and bad people from all areas all walks of life and all countries including Spain. To simply infer that every one from the North is ignorant from one incident you witnessed is beyond me and insulting in general to people from the North of England. I also would never take it upon myself to apologize for someone else's behaviour I'm only responsible for my own manners and conduct. I myself have seen similar from people who spoke with what I would describe as a southern accent maybe even London accent but I don't say everyone south of Watford Gap are ignorant. I'm a Yorkshire man and yes speak with Yorkshire Accent but I try and speak to people with respect and here in Spain in limited Spanish. One cap doesn't fit all.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

North of Milton Keynes.

I've had to [felt the need to] apologize on behalf of English people many times. We have quite a unique sense of entitlement, which never ceases to amaze me.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Opinion
North of Milton Keynes.
​​​​​​
So very probably not actually from the North at all then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.