Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there anywhere it isn't raining

Is there anywhere it isn't raining

Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is there anywhere it isn't raining

I for one have had enough trying to cheer up my visitors (who arrived last Saturday to stay for three weeks) telling them "oh, it should be fine tomorrow"! (Dream on...) There's only so much you can do when it's chucking it down! Costa de la Lluvia more like... This has the potential to do serious damage to a tourist trade that is already suffering, especially if it is repeated next year.

But that's the least of our worries... how people can nay-say climate change is beyond me. Every week a new dramatic weather statistic is claimed: rainiest winter on record, driest summer for however many years, warmest February, etc. It is also believed that changes in the world's weather and climate may trigger earthquakes, landslides and volcanic activity in the future (I have a link to a New Scientist article if anyone is interested). I'm not saying that this rainy winter is DUE to climate change, but it is a worrying sign that things are starting to go haywire, and no-one quite knows what could happen. Sobering stuff...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:51 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
I for one have had enough trying to cheer up my visitors (who arrived last Saturday to stay for three weeks) telling them "oh, it should be fine tomorrow"! (Dream on...) There's only so much you can do when it's chucking it down! Costa de la Lluvia more like... This has the potential to do serious damage to a tourist trade that is already suffering, especially if it is repeated next year.

But that's the least of our worries... how people can nay-say climate change is beyond me. Every week a new dramatic weather statistic is claimed: rainiest winter on record, driest summer for however many years, warmest February, etc. It is also believed that changes in the world's weather and climate may trigger earthquakes, landslides and volcanic activity in the future (I have a link to a New Scientist article if anyone is interested). I'm not saying that this rainy winter is DUE to climate change, but it is a worrying sign that things are starting to go haywire, and no-one quite knows what could happen. Sobering stuff...
But its alway the wettest, snowiest, coldest, hottest etc for x amount of years - so it has happened before, none of its new cos it happened x amount of years ago, obviously!! I think due to the media, world communications and our knowledge, we're simply more aware of whats happening everywhere, but its always happened. The world has always changed from day to day, year to year, milllenium to millenium and so on. Its nothing new!

In fact what fortunately hasnt happened for a good few thousand years is a real earth quake - one that actually moves continents - even thats happened before. so who could we possibly blame? I'm sure if theres anyone around to talk about it in the media they'll blame us for eaving our standby buttons on! What us humans dont like is that we have no control over the earth and its strange and random ways!

Jo xxx
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:54 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It`s the end of the world I tell you, pm me all your €`s now.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

. This has the potential to do serious damage to a tourist trade that is already suffering, especially if it is repeated next year.

It's our wedding anniversary today and we thought about some time in Spain, but one look at the weather quickly knocked that idea on the head! So in a couple of hours we'll be driving up to spend 3/4 days in a nice 4* hotel in UK instead, and I doubt I'm the only one doing that. Only one problem, it's wall to wall sunshine here and I'll be driving right into the sun!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:17 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, make that a week.

That was a bloody quick week Some rain over night, but only gotas. so hardly enough for floods.
That weather site(elteimpo) is useless. Anybody know of one which is more reliable. Either in English or Spanish.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
That weather site(elteimpo) is useless. Anybody know of one which is more reliable. Either in English or Spanish.
http://www.michaelfish.com/
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:12 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Heres what the Sur says

http://www.surinenglish.com/20100217...002171421.html

Jo xxx
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

At times like this I wonder if I did the right thing selling up in the Canaries.
After enduring no end of weather related problems due to snow, ice and mucho agua in the UK and Scandinavia, I eventually make it to Spain thinking the Winter must now be over and all will be sunshine and roses.
However on arrival I find the wind has blown down the chimney, in turn damaging some tiles before going through the garage roof which in turn is by now flooded out.
So first things first,patch up the house roof and wait for the insurance to sort the rest.
Meantime along comes the friendly neighbourhood satellite man,tramping and hammering all over the house roof while fitting a dish, and next day my son kindly informs me that its the first time he has been able to lie in bed and have a cold shower at the same time.
Even worse the house tiles are long ago out of production,obsolete and no spares can be had anywhere

It never rains but what it precipitates quite heavily.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:12 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody know of one which is more reliable.
If you are happy reading weather charts try

http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/ind...ection=SFCProg

It's the US Air Force site.

If you want some serious stuff try this one - it's in German though.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:31 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

If you are happy reading weather charts try

http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/ind...ection=SFCProg

It's the US Air Force site.

If you want some serious stuff try this one - it's in German though.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html
I don't think "Wetterzentrale" sounds to promising somehow.

Seems to me its wet enough already!..
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Go to www.chifra.org and follow the link to the weather photos for bad news in Chiclana.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is there anywhere it isn't raining

That was a bloody quick week Some rain over night, but only gotas. so hardly enough for floods.
Try this based on faro for Ayamonte but usually very good you just need tofind a city that is close and it will be OK

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...opnav_business
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:17 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Dry, but what about that "hurricane" you had.
Never came - can't trust the weather forecasts really.

Nice and sunny today but rain expected tomorrow..
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
But its alway the wettest, snowiest, coldest, hottest etc for x amount of years - so it has happened before, none of its new cos it happened x amount of years ago, obviously!! I think due to the media, world communications and our knowledge, we're simply more aware of whats happening everywhere, but its always happened. The world has always changed from day to day, year to year, milllenium to millenium and so on. Its nothing new!

In fact what fortunately hasnt happened for a good few thousand years is a real earth quake - one that actually moves continents - even thats happened before. so who could we possibly blame? I'm sure if theres anyone around to talk about it in the media they'll blame us for eaving our standby buttons on! What us humans dont like is that we have no control over the earth and its strange and random ways!

Jo xxx
Yes, I am aware of the world's cycles and "strange ways" over millennia, and I would love to think you are right, but I fear we are interfering in the world's delicate balance in so many ways that will make a huge difference if we add them all up, including deforestation, carbon emissions, destroying the oceans, unsustainable resource use, species extinction (OK, I predict that someone is going to say that dinosaurs died out and that wasn't because of man-made causes!). I don't think anyone really blames leaving a standby button on (although every little helps, as we all know!) but even if we forget about the climate argument, in general we should be more aware of our actions. Anyway, I guess this isn't the place for this discussion! It's interesting to see what people think about the subject though.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There was a strange bright light in the sky for about five minutes just now, but it`s gone again for another couple of days. :curse::curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.