Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Theft of Electricity Cable (Copper)

Theft of Electricity Cable (Copper)

Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Big Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the rough
Default Theft of Electricity Cable (Copper)

I live in the Hondón area. I had an Iberdrola engineer out today re a power cut. This was caused by the theft of cable near to our home. This theft occurred overnight. I spoke with the engineer and these thefts are currently prevalent in the surrounding area. Apparently the copper sells for between 4 and 5 euros a kilo. Worth keeping an eye out, especially in the more remote areas, for suspicious vans, trucks or cars with trailers and passing on registration numbers. Would say that the service from Iberdrola was very good and power was restored quickly.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Theft of Electricity Cable (Copper)

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I live in the Hondón area. I had an Iberdrola engineer out today re a power cut. This was caused by the theft of cable near to our home. This theft occurred overnight. I spoke with the engineer and these thefts are currently prevalent in the surrounding area. Apparently the copper sells for between 4 and 5 euros a kilo. Worth keeping an eye out, especially in the more remote areas, for suspicious vans, trucks or cars with trailers and passing on registration numbers. Would say that the service from Iberdrola was very good and power was restored quickly.
Back in the sixties when I was an apprentice any offcuts of hefty cable were kept and we apprentices had the whoopy do job of stripping all of it then taking it to the scrapyard and collecting the cash. We would make about a fiver each. If this happened now we would probably make ten times more than our wages.
It was against company policy but was just thrown away.
Graham
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

olivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant futureolivetree has a brilliant future

It is the metal covers for water meters that have been stolen from close to us.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:49 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

this is on going problem here and across EU , The theft of electrical and telephone cables are a growing and extremely costly problem in this area of the world , However, now that the larger and more organised criminal elements have entered the market things have taken a nasty turn , that is the death of innocent people in homes and hospitals that rely on having an uninterrupted supply of electricity for life support. Also lives have been lost because of not being able to use the telephone in an emergency.
400 people have been arrested across the UK in may2011 for Copper cable theft
UK railways have been causing train delays and cancellations. East Coast line had prolonged delays on last Friday . It's now known that a medium-voltage cable had been damaged by a hacksaw blade – the second such incident in the area in less than a week .